Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,549,421 times

Advertisements

Was just interested in any ideas some people who have seen it and been through the area think could be done to improve it.

As some of you may know, downtown faces several problems. Roughly one third of the buildings are empty and/or unkept/crumbling, the homeless have several 'hot spots' in the area, only a very small number of people live there, businesses have trouble staying afloat...amongst other issues.

IMO, I believe that one of the first things that needs to be done is adding at least 150-200 apartment spaces to the area with rent in the 400-700 range (The Calhoun, which is the only choice, is outragously expensive at almost 800$ for little more than a broom closet with powder room...it really should have remained a hotel). I think the best choice might be to either select an area where much demolition isn't needed or replace a building to house them that's about 4-5 stories or more possibly covering more than one building.

I also think that downtown needs a hotel again. I know we have the Bleckley Inn...but that's like what, 12 rooms? And be honest, no one stays there for actual stays 90% of the time, you'll see it's mainly overnight stays. Also I think there's no 'gap' between those other rundown looking motels there that look like they charge by the hour. It'd be nice to see something like a Holiday Inn or Best Western with maybe 200 rooms. This goes along with more bars/clubs in downtown. They're trying to improve this, but I still feel it's so much better to drive an extra 20 miles or so to Clemson just to have a good night.

Oh, and last but not least, some chain store. No not some restaurant/fast food place, pharmacy, or nothing like that, but something that you would expect to see on Clemson Blvd or Woodruff Rd or something. Something that makes it worth driving to the area and encourages you to shop at other places. Something tha would encourage actual usage from the parking garage and taking up of empty business buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,401,366 times
Downtown Anderson has come a long way since the 1980s and '90s when it was a dumpy ghost town filled with drugs and crime.

A few highlights that should be noted include the redesigned streetscape, the history museum, arts center, library, farmers market, old courthouse building, attractively restored façades/storefronts, and the nearby university.

A few ideas for future development include a central destination park, trails, a performing arts venue/cultural center, corporate offices, a hotel, a mixed-use complex with a destination store/supermarket and creative residential space.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Downtown Anderson has come a long way since the 1980s and '90s when it was a dumpy ghost town filled with drugs and crime.

A few highlights that should be noted include the redesigned streetscape, the history museum, arts center, library, farmers market, old courthouse building, attractively restored façades/storefronts, and the nearby university.

A few ideas for future development include a central destination park, trails, a performing arts venue/cultural center, corporate offices, a hotel, a mixed-use complex with a destination store/supermarket and creative residential space.
True that! Apparently before the mid 90s, the only people in downtown were either homeless or county/city employees. It having come a long way though doesn't change that there's a long ways ahead that it needs to go. Success wise, downtown Anderson is now how Greenville was doing in the late 90s.

The remodeling of downtown has done loads for the apperance of that area, but IMO, it doesn't seem finished to me. Those other areas you mentioned all look nice and have good potential, but on average they're quite empty majority of the time.

I like your ideas though...sounds like we're about on the same page on that. Downtown Anderson has/has room for the facilities but rarely hosts any events. Also, offices are severly lacking, with about the only employment in the area being some form of retail. Reflecting that tradition, there is almost no living space in downtown. I can honestly say there is not one single spot within a mile of downtown I'd give a first thought towards even renting at this time.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,401,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Success wise, downtown Anderson is now how Greenville was doing in the late 90s.
We definitely seem to be on the same page regarding ideas for future development (a very interesting topic mattee01), but I cannot agree with the quote above. If you look at where Greenville was in the late '90s, you'll notice several important differences.
  • Corporate offices were a significant part of life in the city, as noted by numerous regional bank headquarters, the Bowater HQ, etc.
  • Main Street (excluding the West End) was already thriving during the day.
  • The Peace Center was already well established and had been tremendously enhancing the community's cultural flair for several years.
  • the BI-LO Center was brand new and brought in major artists and sporting events never experienced in the Upstate prior to its opening.
  • The historic Westin Poinsett was being restored, along with Court Square, which added an intriguing 4-diamond hotel to a street formerly dominated by the Hyatt Regency hotel.
  • The vision for revitalization in the West End was being developed, including serious plans to create a destination park surrounding the Reedy River falls. The West End Market also opened during that time.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
We definitely seem to be on the same page regarding ideas for future development (a very interesting topic mattee01), but I cannot agree with the quote above. If you look at where Greenville was in the late '90s, you'll notice several important differences.
  • Corporate offices were a significant part of life in the city, as noted by numerous regional bank headquarters, the Bowater HQ, etc.
  • Main Street (excluding the West End) was already thriving during the day.
  • The Peace Center was already well established and had been tremendously enhancing the community's cultural flair for several years.
  • the BI-LO Center was brand new and brought in major artists and sporting events never experienced in the Upstate prior to its opening.
  • The historic Westin Poinsett was being restored, along with Court Square, which added an intriguing 4-diamond hotel to a street formerly dominated by the Hyatt Regency hotel.
  • The vision for revitalization in the West End was being developed, including serious plans to create a destination park surrounding the Reedy River falls. The West End Market also opened during that time.
You're right, I was being a bit too optimistic. Anderson currently is probably currently in the success level Greenville was in three decades ago, maybe more. That's rather sad really, considering it took a great amount of hard work and community involvement to get them to where they are today. For Anderson to do that would require something on the same level that it doesn't have now, and perhaps an even longer period of time.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,340,914 times
I think size has to be considered. Greenville is a lot larger than Anderson.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I think size has to be considered. Greenville is a lot larger than Anderson.
So? There are cities that are smaller and yet their downtowns are so much better than Anderson's. I believe the size factor can be overcome, but we have to exercise what we can to attract people to our area.

Just like cities that are near larger cities like Atlanta and such suck in some of the benefits that are reaped by having it nearby, we can do the same. We can suck up people travelling between Atlanta, Charlotte, and elsewhere and claim people going to or from Greenville. In fact, this has quite a bit to do with what has made Clemson Blvd grow the way it has.

Being progressive with good plans and ideas will be key to changing for the better what we have now. Our leaders have made it pretty obvious by the way things are now which area they shower with favoritism. It's a shame you didn't even feel it worthy to list what the area could benefit from.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 AM

5,492 posts, read 8,340,914 times
Maybe that isn't what leadership in Anderson wants. You have to convince them.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,561,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Maybe that isn't what leadership in Anderson wants. You have to convince them.
There's truth in that. Greenville has done what it has because of a strong vision and the ability of city government to get stakeholders together to work towards a common goal. There has been very strong leadership involved in getting things that have happened in downtown Greenville done.

Short of that kind of vision and leadership, it would be difficult for Anderson to replicate what Greenville has done.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
There's truth in that. Greenville has done what it has because of a strong vision and the ability of city government to get stakeholders together to work towards a common goal. There has been very strong leadership involved in getting things that have happened in downtown Greenville done.

Short of that kind of vision and leadership, it would be difficult for Anderson to replicate what Greenville has done.
I have to agree with both of you. Most, if not all of the city council members and mayor look like they have 'outside interests' and not very much concern for making positive changes. I believe that is why the city line has repeatedly expanded towards the northern and slight north eastern parts of the county, but not the south, west, or east in probably 30-40 years. There is a good amount of opportunity to be had in those areas, which outsiders would already think is part of the city at least 2 miles outside of the city limit, but because they don't look like 81/Clemson Blvd or have those residents, they're not as interested.

I'd like to say that I do believe the parking garage and the downtown park are good ideas, and could have been useful as far back as the 50s, they are not going to make any difference in downtown's current position as neither of those are going to draw people to the downtown area. I strongly believe that to draw changes to the area would require move room for people to live in the area, which would benefit downtown and the city/city council, and also getting all that office space filled. Once people are living and working in the area, it would be more stable for businesses and they're would be more to attract outsiders which would make it even more lucrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area