Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 46,594 times

Advertisements

We are coming for a visit Dec 29 - Jan 4 to get a better feel for the area prior to finalizing the decision to move. We were out on our Harleys for a week in June but pretty much just did the downtown area- I think we managed a concert every night. It is difficult to sightsee on motorcycles- rather watch the road than the sights. I am looking for suggestions as to what to see, explore, etc to get a better taste for the area. I have been concerned about not much going on because of the holidays. We are in our early 50's and bringing another couple in their early 50's, my 70+ year old parents and 1 other couple in their 60's. We are all very active and looking forward to the trip out. Also any great nieghborhoods to drive through or towns? We were thinking of Taylors, Greer, Travelers Rest and the Paris Mtn / Furman U area. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM

915 posts, read 2,425,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally13 View Post
We are coming for a visit Dec 29 - Jan 4 to get a better feel for the area prior to finalizing the decision to move. We were out on our Harleys for a week in June but pretty much just did the downtown area- I think we managed a concert every night. It is difficult to sightsee on motorcycles- rather watch the road than the sights. I am looking for suggestions as to what to see, explore, etc to get a better taste for the area. I have been concerned about not much going on because of the holidays. We are in our early 50's and bringing another couple in their early 50's, my 70+ year old parents and 1 other couple in their 60's. We are all very active and looking forward to the trip out. Also any great nieghborhoods to drive through or towns? We were thinking of Taylors, Greer, Travelers Rest and the Paris Mtn / Furman U area. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Even during that time, I don't think you'll be hard-pressed to find things to do.

As for neighborhoods, I think honestly depends on your home search criteria, and then many of us will be able to give some better direction.

You'll be able to catch the last 6 days of the Hollywild Holiday Lights Safari! Welcome to the Frontpage

Old 11-14-2008, 04:18 PM

Glad to hear things don't shut down for the holidays.
As far as nieghborhoods go.... No look alike houses, friendly nieghbors, good areas to walk a dog in, houses not on top of each other, somewhere in the $200,000-300 range. I am currently vice president of our nieghborhood assoc and we are headed off to the monthly nieghborhood happy hour that a different nieghbor hosts the 2nd Fri of each month. its a great way to get to know your nieghbors plus we all live in older homes (ours was built in 1924) so you get great remodeling ideas.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 AM

745 posts, read 2,234,191 times
It may not be your thing, but a trip to the Upstate isn't complete without a drive along Highway 11. It runs right along the base of the Blue Ridge, with scenic mountains such as Caesar's Head and Table Rock. There are a number of parks along that route with hiking trails and waterfalls- some easy to get to, others not so much. Just pick a sunny day- if it's rainy or foggy, you won't even know the mountains are there! As you head further west, there are 3 large lakes- Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocasee. For towns, there is also Easley and Pickens. I think Pickens is a quaint town, but a little far from downtown Greenville to commute for work, although I'm sure plenty of people do. Depending on how far you roam, Clemson University is worth the trip, and there are some cute towns over that way as well. We'll be in town at the same time- likely heading to the mountains for a little hiking. We have property north of Travelers Rest, and look to build there in the next couple years. Hope you have a nice trip! PM me if you want more info on the parks- we've stayed at several of them.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 AM

511 posts, read 1,523,300 times
Default near Furman

You may want to look near or at Carilion, near Furman. The lots are smaller but the homes are new. You should have a lot of options with your criteria. The historic Northside of Easley also has some homes that sound like where you are now. Older but remodeled with park like yards--they leave their gates so they can visit and have drinks with the neighbors especially during the summer months.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have the Greenville and Upcountry visitors Guide from the CVB with suggested driving tours so we will be definiitely be doing that and it sounds like an easy way to see the area.
Will definitely check out the Carillion area near Furman. Looking forward to showing my parents around and hope they will feel comfortable relocating with us to Greenville.
I am an emergency dept RN so will want to be looking into the hospitals as well for employment.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:04 PM

511 posts, read 1,523,300 times
Default relocating

You may want to check The Woodlands at Furman if her parents aren't going to live with you. This is close to Carilion and not a bad commute to Greenville Memorial or St. Francis Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area