Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
There is a sidewalk that stretches at least a mile down Batesville Road starting at the intersection of The Parkway and northwest past a minimum of 8 subdivisions. I think it may even go another 1/4 mile to Buena Vista Elem. My parents have lived in one of those subdivisions for almost 10 years. You can easily walk that sidewalk from any one of those subdivisions to Publix, Quizno's, CVS, Zaxby's, and anything else in that area.
To correct myself for future readers, the sidewalk on Batesville Rd is continuous from the intersection of The Parkway, up Enoree, and down Old Spartanburg all the way to Hudson Rd. 2.6 miles in total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
I wanted to bump this thread due to Ckeegans p.o.v. I'm in Houston on business right now. Houston is very spread out, the epitome of suburban sprawl, i.e car culture. That being said every street practically has sidewalks on both sides. Today I walked out of my hotel that's on a street that would be equivalent to a slightly less busy Woodruff Rd, maybe Pelham Rd. I walked about a mile to this amazing Middle eastern buffet for lunch. After gorging myself on kabobs, hummus and pita, I then walked to Ross, did a little shopping, walked to Walgreens and then finally back to my room.

CKeegan asked how is it possible to walk from one store to another; it's quite simple; I just walked into Walgreens with my Ross bags. My point is, despite the suburban feel, Houston has sidewalks available for walking. The option is there. That's what we need on Woodruff, Pelham, Haywood, Wage Hampton, etc. It can be done, the city leaders and citizens just have to want it.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 31,756 times
You need to check out Hollingsworth Park, Verdae which has been dubbed "City within a City." Hollingsworth Park is a New Urbanist, walkable community that has new houses available right now and more to come in a variety of price points. Ultimately, there will be a town center, but even now it is a short walk from the residential area to Verdae Village Shopping Center which has a Super Bi-Lo and several restraurants. Check out HollingsworthPark.com and Verdaedevelopment.com.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townbuilder View Post
You need to check out Hollingsworth Park, Verdae which has been dubbed "City within a City." Hollingsworth Park is a New Urbanist, walkable community that has new houses available right now and more to come in a variety of price points. Ultimately, there will be a town center, but even now it is a short walk from the residential area to Verdae Village Shopping Center which has a Super Bi-Lo and several restraurants. Check out HollingsworthPark.com and Verdaedevelopment.com.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with that is that Verdae Blvd. doesn't have sidewalks, so again to walk from the development to the shops there requires taking your life in your own hands by walking on a narrow strip of grass right next to speeding cars. Again, if I'm wrong, good, but I'm pretty sure there are no sidewalks there either. Quite frankly, it's embarrassing that a city as vibrant and growing as ours is so devoid of sidewalks.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
I might disagree with Sonrise on a lot of things especially political, but I agree with him on this. We need more sidewalks and badly. Too many times have I seen people walking on the shoulder of a four lane road where there is no sidewalk. I emailed the city about this problem a few days ago. They were of no help.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I might disagree with Sonrise on a lot of things especially political, but I agree with him on this. We need more sidewalks and badly. Too many times have I seen people walking on the shoulder of a four lane road where there is no sidewalk. I emailed the city about this problem a few days ago. They were of no help.
I see this very thing almost daily. A person is trying to walk or even jog and there is barely a patch of grass that separates them and a speeding car whizzing by. It's bad on many levels; first it says that we don't care enough about exercise and by default promote car culture, but it also indirectly states that we don't care about pedestrian safety.

A challenge to everyone who reads this: make a mental note to specifically look for people who are walking on the side of a busy road where a sidewalk should be and how difficult it must be for them. I think many people don't think about it because they're from here and don't know any different.

All major roads should have sidewalks. Period.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 AM

114 posts, read 378,391 times
This discussion makes the benefits of true small towns (within driving distance of bigger towns) like Pickens and Walhalla stand out. In each of these areas, there are sidewalks and the towns are very walkable. While not every store is at the resident's disposals, suprisingly many are. It is possible to eat at many restaurants, visit theatres, walk to parks, get groceries in a pleasant atmosphere and without risking your life. Just an interesting point I think.

I do agree, however, that our communities all should plan to be more walkable/bikeable. The southern 'car culture' capital of Atlanta (which lacked proper planning) is a glaring example of Greenville's future if we don't make these decisions today.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Greenville is much larger than Pickens and Walhalla, and has a much larger downtown with many more places to shop, dine and be entertained. It is also very pedestrian-friendly, with many more available places to walk. Downtown Greenville and its walkable neighborhoods alone would swallow both Pickens and Walhalla combined. The places mentioned where sidewalks are desperately needed are mostly located in the suburban areas surrounding downtown, places somewhat similar to the suburban and rural parts of Pickens and Oconee Counties as well.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM

114 posts, read 378,391 times
Sorry if I offended Sky, didn't mean to cross your hairs.

I wasn't implying that Greenville isn't pedestrian friendly. In fact, downtown Greenville is really becoming a model city in terms of downtown revitalization. There is, of course, plenty left to do but I agree that downtown Greenville is the best option if one wants to live in a big city, with plenty to do, and walk to many amenities. Hopefully the Greenville planning folks will extend the vision further outside the city core in the years to come.

My point was simply that traditionally planned small towns offer the walkability and pleasant atmosphere that so many of us miss from the sprawling suburbs so common in this state and country. While not everyone wants to live in smaller areas, I think most folks can appreciate taking a stroll down mainstreet in an old town nestled under the Blue Ridge front; if just for a weekend visit. I think we all agree that the more pedestrian and bike friendly our areas are (no matter how big or small) the more accessible and enjoyable our special places become.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:23 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Agreed! Please accept my apology for the previous post's harsh nature. That was not intentional, but I just thought a bit of clarification was necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area