Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 02:25 PM

73 posts, read 236,308 times

Advertisements

Good job OconeeMountains, I totally agree. Greenville isnt a utopia, and skyliner can get on edge and defend his turf if anyone makes a comment that doesnt make it sound like the best town. What we all can agree on is that small or large, every town has room for improvement. no offense skyliner, you really have shaped this forum and contribute greatly. I sometime think you are undercover for a the Greenville Chamber of Commerce or something......hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Greenville is much larger than Pickens and Walhalla, and has a much larger downtown with many more places to shop, dine and be entertained. It is also very pedestrian-friendly, with many more available places to walk. Downtown Greenville and its walkable neighborhoods alone would swallow both Pickens and Walhalla combined. The places mentioned where sidewalks are desperately needed are mostly located in the suburban areas surrounding downtown, places somewhat similar to the suburban and rural parts of Pickens and Oconee Counties as well.
Yeah, there are many sidewalks on Pelham Road, Verdae Blvd, and Woodruff Road in the city limits.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Yeah, there are many sidewalks on Pelham Road, Verdae Blvd, and Woodruff Road in the city limits.
Yeah, the sidewalk on Pelham Rd only goes from The Parkway to Roper Mountain Extension. 3.4 miles is not nearly enough. I mean, there are only 32 restaurants, 4 bars, 6 banks, and 8 hotels on that stretch of sidewalk.

Maybe they should add .7 miles of sidewalk so they could meet the Haywood Rd sidewalk with the Pelham Rd sidewalk. That way the residents of Ashton Springs could walk to Haywood Mall! It would only take them about 3 hours roundtrip, not including the time they spent shopping.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Quote:
I was referring to downtown, g-man. Perhaps you noticed that I specifically called out the suburban areas in chorus with the other dissatisfied members in this thread, yourself included. Just because roads are in the City limits does not automatically exclude them from being "suburban." It was worth noting that Downtown Greenville is currently the largest walkable community in the Upstate, with more amentities within its walkable area, and more people actually out walking in that area. Again, if that information is taken as overly defensive, please forgive me. There are reasons why Prevention Magazine ranks Greenville the 'Best City for Walking in South Carolina,' and the #36 city overall in the nation. Read more

Is the city perfect? Absolutely NOT, and you will not find me defending it as such. Many people do find it to be a perfect fit for them though.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Yeah, the sidewalk on Pelham Rd only goes from The Parkway to Roper Mountain Extension. 3.4 miles is not nearly enough. I mean, there are only 32 restaurants, 4 bars, 6 banks, and 8 hotels on that stretch of sidewalk.

Maybe they should add .7 miles of sidewalk so they could meet the Haywood Rd sidewalk with the Pelham Rd sidewalk. That way the residents of Ashton Springs could walk to Haywood Mall! It would only take them about 3 hours roundtrip, not including the time they spent shopping.
It's not enough. They just extend it all the way down Pelham Road. .7 miles walking each way is not a long distance. I walked for miles in San Francisco where there are sidewalks on every road in the city limits except for the interstates of course. Sorry for questioning and getting mad at you Skyliner.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:22 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,194 times
Quote:
It's not enough. They just extend it all the way down Pelham Road. .7 miles walking each way is not a long distance. I walked for miles in San Francisco where there are sidewalks on every road in the city limits except for the interstates of course. Sorry for questioning and getting mad at you Skyliner.
I almost forgot how comparable San Fran was to Greenville, they only have 8x the number of people per square mile, a median property tax 6.2x our median, and a median home price 5.3x more than Greenville. What's the next comparison, NYC? Yes, they have more sidewalks than Greenville too.

And what are you talking about .7 miles each way? .7 miles is pretty much the only part of Pelham Rd that DOESN'T have sidewalks. The entire area from Parkway to Roper Mountain does. 3.4 miles in total.

I'm not saying Greenville has plethora of sidewalks, but you are acting like there aren't any.

Last edited by ckeegan; 01-30-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 07:12 PM

Why doesn't that part of Pelham Road have sidewalks? I pay taxes.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
...I pay taxes.
I doubt your Anderson County (or Pickens County?) taxes are ever spent on Greenville County roads. As for state taxes, I have many questions that need answers regarding where my contribution is being spent on road projects around the state.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:25 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Part of the problem is that the Greenville area is sprawl gone amok. The surrounding cities have had to put their money into all these new subdivisions (in the name of economic growth) and maintain low taxes at the same time. Now a lot of the subdivisions are half-built, or half for sale. We need to stop mowing down the forested parts of the area, stop the sprawl and invest in the infrastructure that is in place.

Anyone who complains about the poor services (i.e. lack of sidewalks), praises their low taxes, and lives in a new subdivision is being hypocritical, imo.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
...Anyone who complains about the poor services (i.e. lack of sidewalks), praises their low taxes, and lives in a new subdivision is being hypocritical, imo.
Amen to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area