Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2006, 12:45 PM

52 posts, read 130,508 times

Advertisements

[color="Purple"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Hello all!We left on Friday to go down to Simpsonville.The trip took us 14 1/2 hours when it should have been 12 but because of the Belt Parkway we sat in traffic
This is just my opinion on Simpsonville being from New York and the difference.
It was very quiet. Not congested on the roads. The roads of course were spotless!!! In comparision to NY, I keep saying to my husband that Simpsonville reminds me of Sayville out in Suffolk County before it was built up.
There are Lots of stores going up.The real estate guy who we were dealing with is from my neighborhood here.He moved down there 4 years ago and he showed us all the stuff that has been built since he came.They have what we have here as far as Target, Walmart, Kmart, Kohl's, etc.They have there dollar stores which I found out that just because it says it's $1 doesn't mean when you go in it's actually $1.Those stores there are not like here it's kind of messy, unorganized but that is part of the fun to dig through everything I did not however purchase anything.
There is LOTS of construction going on which is positive.There are new home builders everywhere and communities being built all over.I checked out the prices of gymnastics, cheerleading, baseball, and preschool while we were there. Preschool is about the same as here $130 month gymnastics was about $60 a month and $15 off the next child.Baseball is three seasons which excited my husband for our sons.
We checked out the water park they advertise..I assumed it would be like our Splish Splash but it is NO WAY in comparision.It is VERY small.It is only $6 a child but nothing what I expected. The one mall we went to was beautiful..It was in Greenville..however it was closing and they are making a strip mall from what I heard.The work in the mall was sooo nice it's almost a shame to get rid of it and they said it was only referbished not long ago.
There is another big mall that we did not get to..but what we were told is that Dillard's is becoming Macy's which works for me since I can apply there for a job since I left Macy's here as a cosmetics counter manager but left off on great terms.
They have another place that has go-carts, bowling, etc. hubby was estatic about the bowling ally it was $2.25 a game to bowl.Deer Park bowl here is $4.50 a game. Yes..we bowled..not my fave thing to do.
But to bribe him to look at more houses I agreed.
Let's see.. what else??There Bi-Lo is a food store had no idea Same concept as here you need a card for the discounts.From talking to people they say that they food shop more at Walmart. One of my fave experiences happened in Walmart while running back to find some M&M's for my fat face while hubby was going online to pay..I was walking behind this little boy who had to be like 7-8 yrs old. He actually stepped aside put his hand forward and said, "go ahead ma'am you can go ahead."I looked around at first to see who Ma'am was He was sooo cute! NOTHING like you would find here!It was very nice!
We were content in what we saw in Simpsonville.I was not too impressed with Mauldin to be honost...but that is MY opinion.It is nice to visit some stores and all but I wouldn't want to raise my family there.
I saw the progress that Simpsonville made in the last 5 years or so and know that in time this town will be somewhat like Long Island.People just waving at you while driving by.We did see train tracks however..we FINALLY saw a train as we were leaving yesterday morning.They are not like the LIRR here!They're used as freight trains not passenger trains.We didn't even see AMTRAK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 PM

89 posts, read 388,367 times
Smile Hey im Happy you like Simpsonville :)

Hey I just noticed you came for a visit to are town. Im happy that you liked it here. We are growing very fast I moved here from New York about 13yrs ago and it has grown A lot!!! Since that time... And still growing it seems every day.

Simpsonville does have it's bad sides just as any place does. But I agree with you Mauldin is not really that exciteing and not much there too see.

The water park that you had visit was most likely at South Side Park. And yes it too me they could had done much better then that. But it is a step in too something better maybe in the future. It does get a lot of people there. But they are thinking on adding on too it..

And too the Bowling alley that you went too that is a pretty nice place too go too. If it was in Simpsonville then was most likely it was at the Gold Strip... My family just held a Muscular Dystrophy Bowl A thon there a couple of years back for my little cuz....

There is a bigger place that people go too that is called Frankies Fun Park. But simpsonvilles park is ok too go too if you don't want the rush of the people as bad... I go there too play miniture gulf some times....

Ma'am and Sir and honey and yall are just some words that you tend too pick up on here after a few..

Oh and no we do not have passenger trains here like Amtrack or Trirail.. Don't see that happening right away any time soon...

We do have Greenville county Bus tho.. And they are starting too expand the area that they go in too as well..

And taxi as well yet it can get up there in price since they are based out of Greenville....

Well I just wanted too add if you wanted too know any other information on anything about are little but growing town feel free to email me any time...

Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 AM

8 posts, read 33,432 times
Actually, Amtrak does run through our area, but you have to go to downtown Greenville to catch it. Amtrak's Crescent line runs from New York City to New Orleans with stops in Philly, Baltimore, Washington DC, and a bazillion other smaller places. My family loves to ride the train up from MS, especially since gas has gotten so expensive.

My big warning about Simpsonville is to make sure you investigate all its areas before you settle in. Our Realtor did not take us to the other side (Fairview Road) of town, so unfortunately we bought on the Five Forks side. Five Forks is a very nice area, but there's a lot of traffic and very poorly planned development. The schools are good, the shopping is good, and in theory you're conveniently located to everything the area has to offer, but it's a giant pain in the tail to get anywhere. The masterplan seems to be "Build it quick; we'll figure out traffic and that other stuff later. And while you're at it, cut down all those pesky trees."

However, overall I have to say Simpsonville and the Greenville area are absolutely the best place to raise kids and enjoy life. The climate is great, the opportunities are boundless, and for the most part, the people are super, too. Come on down; you'll love it.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,626 times
I agree Simpsonville and the Greenville area is wonderfull but don't forget to check-out Greenville's down town , you'll love it!...... I'm originally from Michigan.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:38 PM

113 posts, read 462,526 times
I agree, if you are in he area, downtown Greenville is worth a visit. The best time from what I've been told are in the summers, I believe every Thurs night the streets are filled will music, food abd a good old fun time. We've visited the city twice as we are also contemplating a move to that area. Greenville is very clean and easy to maneuver around.
Good Luck

Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 PM

8 posts, read 28,001 times
We are moving from Holbrook NY to the Simpsonville area in June and are buying a Ryan home. We are doubling the size of our house for less money than we sold our LI house. We've been down a few times already, and although Woodruff Rd looks a lot like Middle Country Road/Jericho Turnpike, we find that the area is much nicer looking and people seem friendlier.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM

991 posts, read 4,622,557 times
Hi I am from Patchogue and looking to relocate to simsonville are also, either this year or early next!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:44 PM

15 posts, read 50,336 times
I grew up in Selden then moved to Florida for a a while then 2004 found myself in Simpsonville. I have to say I do like it a lot . We thought about moving several times but then when looking at where we always found ourselfs likeing Simpsonville much better. So here we are still .. there are a lot of great stores right here where I live by Fairview Rd Kohls area .. You don't alsways have to go to the Mall. Elite Gymnastics in Simpsonville I had found was not so great the teachers there do not help the kids they sit around talking.. My daughter did not like it at all because she did not get any help to learn. I heard the gymnastics in Greenville was great though but it is a nice drive about 20 -25 min.
The water park is nice but small but for the price you can't beat it. However you do have Carrowinds which is a waterpark and rides only 2 hours if that away in Charlotte NC.. Then you have Six Flags of GA about 2 hrs as well.. Lots of diffent places to visit in that 2-4 Hour drive. We went up to the smokie mountains in TN which took us about 3 hours . It is really nice there and you have Dollywood another waterpark amusement park . Ceasars Head is a "must go " If you haven't already gone. It is so beautiful up there. you are right on the top of the mountain and it is so beautiful and relaxing ..
New homes are being built everywhere most definitely which will be a plus for this area . Theree are a lot of homes on the Market right now . I drive down HWY 14 to Woodruff rd and seen a million for sale signs . I love those dogwood trees everywhere right now they are pure white and all over .
Yes we do shop at Walmart because food is cheaper there but not always sometimes BilO has good buy one get one free's.. So I sometimes go to both . There is a brand new NY Butcher's market just opened on Fairview rd Down the road by Kohls on fairview . He said he can even get Knishes .. I was so happy . They don't sell them here like they have in NY .. The Pizza well I do have to say the only Pizza place I can compare to NY pizza is on Pleasantburg in Greenville about 25 min's away called Tito's ...
Downtown Greenville the falls is very pretty to just relax and hang out on the weekends sometimes they have things going on down there like plays and bands ..
Even if we sold our home we would move to another home in Simpsonville verses mauldin for sure I hated it as soon as I drove through it .. I said no way then came up to Simsponville and said ahh this is much better .. newer stores and atmosphere.. At first I thought the schools were not that good but after I made some more appearances I found out a lot more and why they have certain rules that are so strick.. The principal and staff are most accomodating and wants you to be happy with your childs education and experience ..
The weather is great you cannot beat it and you have all four season and NO Snow well hardly any snow .. This year there was a little for a day or so.. but you can drive 1- 1 1/2 hrs to be near a lot of snow and go sking and sledding .. Well I hope this helps a little to people who want to move to Simpsonville. We have to say "We love it here" ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area