Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 21,980 times

Advertisements

We are looking in Taylors, Greer, Greenville area for a church that is Baptist and preaches God's Word. We have been to many churches already and do not fit into the very contemporary churches but no longer fit into the all dress and traditional ones either. We aren't southern baptist which is the majority of churches, but aren't against it either. We want: whole hearted love for God, Biblical teaching, a church with young people (been to sev. with mainly 60 year olds+ as members-few younger adults), relaxed dress-or a good mix of dress and casual-not 100% either way so as it is not the focus at all, praise songs and hymns in upbeat style but not over the top contemporary style.
Maybe that's too much to ask, but with this many churches we are getting burned out of visiting church after church after church . . .
I've read the contemporary church forums and have tried a few but it's just not what we are looking for. Suggestions anyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcookies View Post
We are looking in Taylors, Greer, Greenville area for a church that is Baptist and preaches God's Word. We have been to many churches already and do not fit into the very contemporary churches but no longer fit into the all dress and traditional ones either. We aren't southern baptist which is the majority of churches, but aren't against it either. We want: whole hearted love for God, Biblical teaching, a church with young people (been to sev. with mainly 60 year olds+ as members-few younger adults), relaxed dress-or a good mix of dress and casual-not 100% either way so as it is not the focus at all, praise songs and hymns in upbeat style but not over the top contemporary style.
Maybe that's too much to ask, but with this many churches we are getting burned out of visiting church after church after church . . .
I've read the contemporary church forums and have tried a few but it's just not what we are looking for. Suggestions anyone???
thts exactly what i'm looking for, if you find it, let me know

Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
I don't know much about it, but isn't there supposedly a big difference between Southern Baptist and just regular Baptist? A few Southern Baptists I know once emphasized to me that there is a huge difference between the two. Evidently they did not want to be confused with independent Baptists. Would independent Baptist be more like the Bob Jones crowd?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM

We haven't seen a huge difference so far, but there may be if we were involved in one long enough to see differences. Independent does not follow a larger organization where southern is all part of the Southern Baptist Convention and take their lead from them. On the sbc.net, you can do a church search by area or even name of church to find out if they are in southern baptist convention. There are both contemporary and traditional independent --and have seen both within the southern churches we visited too. We went to an Independent Baptist church before we moved that had shed a lot of the legalistic ways and focused on what really matters but hadn't gone completely contemporary either. That is what I hope to find.

and NoodlesKnowles--I will def. post here again if we find it before someone else suggests one (but I sure hope someone else can give suggestions before we go another few months of a looking.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM

216 posts, read 413,721 times
Check your PMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcookies View Post

Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
I am not quite sure about what you mean when it comes to being too legalistic. But, a church that you might want to try that fits the list of your criteria is Taylors First Baptist. Come to the 9:00 a.m. service. Please let me know what you think. I am always interested in what others have to say about our church, whether it is positive or negative. I guarantee you that you will hear God's Word and that you will be blessed. Our pastor will be away this Sunday, but you will still be blessed, no matter who is preaching. We have several ministers on our staff that can really preach.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM

I'll look into it!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:22 PM

370 posts, read 947,769 times
We had this very same problem in our searching and after 2 years, ended up going to (and loving) Christian Heritage Church in Greer. They have an excellent website to help you see what they are all about. Highly recommend this church!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Check out Rock Springs Baptist Church in Easley. From what I have heard and seen, it may fit your criteria fairly well.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:33 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Check out Rock Springs Baptist Church in Easley. From what I have heard and seen, it may fit your criteria fairly well.
been there and I can say it was a gorgeous sanctuary, great sermon and awesome praise and worship, the downside? it seems like a much older crowd IMO. Maybe I went to the wrong service, I would go back though, they have a symphony, how awesome is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area