Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
LCM LCM started this thread

77 posts, read 185,422 times

Advertisements

what are the things that surprised you? Anything you wished you had known before you relocated? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Well, I was born here so....

Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM

347 posts, read 980,485 times
The downtown Falls Park surprised me. It's big, beautiful, and they really did a lot to make the park great.
The size of downtown itself surprised me too, but then I found out that there isn't much going on there that appeals to me (I'm into metal music and dive bars, so...). But most people have fun there, and they have a lot of special events going on throughout the year.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:28 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I moved here in Dec. and so far I love it. People are friendly, it doesn't take long to get around, and for the most part, things are less expensive. Some things cost more though, and there seems to be no reason for it. Some of those things are bakery goods (not from the grocery store) and car washes. Strange I know to notice this stuff, but I do!

Driving here is not so hot either. It could be the influx of so many people from other places, but they drive terrible here and I have never seen so many accidents or people running lights as I see here.

Still, the positive outweighs the negative.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:45 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I moved here in Dec. and so far I love it. People are friendly, it doesn't take long to get around, and for the most part, things are less expensive. Some things cost more though, and there seems to be no reason for it. Some of those things are bakery goods (not from the grocery store) and car washes. Strange I know to notice this stuff, but I do!

Driving here is not so hot either. It could be the influx of so many people from other places, but they drive terrible here and I have never seen so many accidents or people running lights as I see here.

The driving thing is interesting to me. I had someone say to me "up north, you drive by the law, down here we drive by common sense." my reply was "who's common sense do you use?". Anyway, lots of folks don't like to use turn signals down here to change lanes or make turns, and lots of folks like to ride bumpers and run red lights, more so than I am used to. As a matter of fact I just got my bumper fixed from someone rear ending my car during a rainstorm a few weeks ago, they received a sizable fine for unsafe driving, so I'll stick to my Laws as opposed to "common sense".

The flip side of that is that I rarely hear people blowing there horns or yelling out of their cars, or see any road rage(I.E. people chasing others down for cutting them off, etc.) things that were a common occurrence in NY where I was originally from.

Also don't be surprised when random folks in the grocery store or wherever you happen to be strike up a conversation out of nowhere, this is one of my favorite parts of living here, the people are so friendly!

So you take the good with the bad, I love Greenville for what its worth and my wife and I(just married last year) have recently purchased a home here and will be staying indefinitely.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
All of the above and something else I thought of...the lack of street lights. Main arteries will be lit but once you get on side streets there will be little lighting. If you have a problem driving at night it will not improve here.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
LCM LCM started this thread

77 posts, read 185,422 times
This is great stuff--exactly the kind of things I was hoping to hear. Anyone else???

Old 05-09-2009, 01:10 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
We moved here last spring/summer. One of the things that I have found interesting... the number of places where street names change. What I mean is that you can be driving down a street and all of a sudden you're on a new street. One example is E. North Street and Old Spartanburg Road. Or come to an intersection and if you turn right, it's Street A and if you turn left it's Street B. Makes it somewhat challenging to learn your way around.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 PM

53 posts, read 127,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post

Really? Running red light and lots of car accidents? I have never noticed that, but I dont live there. Can anyone else comment about this? Not that I dont believe you Rapunzll, I just have never noticed that, not in Greenville, Asheville, etc... Charlotte, yes. But Greenville? No.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:28 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
I can't speak to those other cities and I don't know how much time you have spent here, to be honest, I didn't notice it during my pre-move visits. I moved from MI and I didn't ever see so many people at the side of the road or in the turn lane after accidents. No, they aren't just old friends catching up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area