Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:24 PM

30 posts, read 108,555 times

Advertisements

Having relocated from the Bronx to Greenville, I have to weigh in here and confirm what others have written. While White Plains is easily accessed from the Bronx, they do not, by any stretch of the imagination, share a border. Bronx County and Westchester county share a border, and White Plains is in Westchester, but as others have pointed out, it's a good 15 to 20 minute drive up the Parkway or Thruway, and easily a 40 minute bus ride away.

In addition, the notion of White Plains as "countrylike" is absurd. There is nothing bucolic about glass and steel skyscrapers, sprawling mall complexes, and big box stores. If there are any gamers reading, my husband describes White Plains as a city right out of Shadowrun, more suited to a scene of corporate espionage than tending a flock of sheep.

That said, many North Bronxites do spend a fair amount of time in White Plains. It's not unusual to head north for dinner instead of south. White Plains and the surrounding towns have great shopping, world class dining (Cheesecake Factory not included) and you can actually bring your car along because there's ample parking that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And back on topic, I'm all for a Cheesecake Factory in Greenville. It's not S&S cheesecake, but it's not a bad substitute, and the entrees are really decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 04:25 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
I never said the Bronx wasn't on the border of Westchester, just that it most certainly DOES NOT border White Plains, which is the statement you made. White Plains is another 12-15 miles away, and there's no quick way to get there via bus from the Bronx. It'll take you at least 15-20 minutes on the parkway if you're lucky and at least twice that in a bus on local roads. You may have lived there for years, but you're confused.

I was born in the Bronx, spent 15 years there, then spent the next 12 in Westchester. At one point I drove a delivery truck throughout all of Westchester and beyond, 5 days a week. So I think I know the lay of the land pretty well.

P.S., Just for fun I checked your BeeLine bus schedule. From the Bronx to White Plains takes just under an hour. That's a short ride?
Yes in my opinion a 20 - 45 minute ride on the bus with someone else being annoyed with the traffic is a short ride. Again my opinion. For example someone mentioned on here that there is a Cheesecake Factory located in North Carolina. As much as I love the Cheesecake Factory I definitely would not do that drive.

Somehow lost the original point here.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenvilleJenn View Post
Having relocated from the Bronx to Greenville, I have to weigh in here and confirm what others have written. While White Plains is easily accessed from the Bronx, they do not, by any stretch of the imagination, share a border. Bronx County and Westchester county share a border, and White Plains is in Westchester, but as others have pointed out, it's a good 15 to 20 minute drive up the Parkway or Thruway, and easily a 40 minute bus ride away.

In addition, the notion of White Plains as "countrylike" is absurd. There is nothing bucolic about glass and steel skyscrapers, sprawling mall complexes, and big box stores. If there are any gamers reading, my husband describes White Plains as a city right out of Shadowrun, more suited to a scene of corporate espionage than tending a flock of sheep.

That said, many North Bronxites do spend a fair amount of time in White Plains. It's not unusual to head north for dinner instead of south. White Plains and the surrounding towns have great shopping, world class dining (Cheesecake Factory not included) and you can actually bring your car along because there's ample parking that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And back on topic, I'm all for a Cheesecake Factory in Greenville. It's not S&S cheesecake, but it's not a bad substitute, and the entrees are really decent.
As for the statement of "countrylike" I mean suburban when compared to the hustle and bustle of Manhattan. Many in NYC consider Westchester county, Long Island and Upstate NY to be like the country (surburban) because as you mentioned there is the option of driving a car there and space to park. I was speaking to the point that Westchester was a good location for the Cheesecake Factory because it has the space to accomodate such a large restaurant. Whereas Manhattan space is extremely limited. After the long drives I have taken while living here riding 20 - 45 minutes on the Bee Line to Westchester is easy for me because someone else is doing the driving. In my opinion a 20 - 45 minute ride is reasonable on a bus.

But glad someone shares my want for the Cheesecake Factory here in Greenville.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM

16 posts, read 34,962 times
Now if we can just get a Maggianos....

Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM

183 posts, read 500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Yes in my opinion a 20 - 45 minute ride on the bus with someone else being annoyed with the traffic is a short ride. Again my opinion..
Fine, we can agree to disagree about what constitutes a short bus ride, although 45 minutes would be the best time you will ever see on that trip, on a really lucky day. Regardless, I hope we can agree that The Bronx does not border White Plains. That much isn't really open to opinion.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNJ View Post
Fine, we can agree to disagree about what constitutes a short bus ride, although 45 minutes would be the best time you will ever see on that trip, on a really lucky day. Regardless, I hope we can agree that The Bronx does not border White Plains. That much isn't really open to opinion.
Yes we can that is what mature adults do. For me a 45 minute ride from the Bronx to a location in Westchester county is the border. All this talk about this restaurant has made me hungry!!

Old 06-26-2009, 05:03 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
This is a hysterical thread. The inconsistencies, spin and avoidance maneuvers would make great reading for any psychoanalyst. Absolutely hysterical!

Now back to fattening, unhealthy, mass produced cheesecake.

For real cheesecake, I'll take Juniors.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 PM

642 posts, read 2,088,059 times
mmmmmmm cheesecake yummy

Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
What a riot! What's next, debating what "is" means?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 AM

552 posts, read 592,129 times
gsupstate, someone mentioned earlier that you are involved in possibly making the Cheesecake Factory coming to G'ville reality. Do you work for CF? Or the developer of CF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area