Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the biggest problem at West End Field?
Parking 9 25.71%
Prices 1 2.86%
Crime 1 2.86%
Nothing 24 68.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM

4 posts, read 19,151 times

Advertisements

May I say that I was wowed when I saw West End Field. This is by far the nicest minor league park that I have ever been to. It is a far cry than Columbias ballpark. Now I understand why the Bombers left. Greenville was proactive and build a beyond nice park and Columbia seems to drag their hills on these type of projects. I live between Augusta and Columbia so I went to Bomber and Greenjackets games regually. I know it sounds crazy but when the Drive was in Columbia, I bought season tickets to both the Greenjackets and Bombers game. Now I just by season tickets to Augusta which i thought was a nice place until I came here. Now I might by season tickets to Greenville as well and drive between Greenville and Augusta for ballgames. Augusta has plans for a new park but they got their work cut out for them if they plan to give West End Field a run for their money. Coulmbia on the other hand seems to be content with the Gamecocks as their sports entertainment. Why cant Columbia share the new stadium at USC for a new minor league team or build a new stadium in West Columbia. Is there a South Atlantic League rule or NCAA rule against sharing stadium with each other.

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesballparks/stadiums/ph/westend1.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 PM

197 posts, read 611,634 times
I love West End Field. Now lets get some intelligent post in this thread before that certain person post their spill in this form about a certain insect that I have never heard of before.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
I don't see how anyone can complain about parking, you can find a free spot if you drive around for a couple minutes, prices are pretty cheap, and while the surrounding areas still need to be developed, I don't hear about much crime occurring in the general area(not to say that there is none, i'm sure there is, I just haven't heard of any)

Old 07-02-2009, 09:32 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
It is true that it's tough to find a parking spot in the West End on a game night. Ideally within a few years we'll see a sizable mixed use development built and the City will build a parking garage. However, until then, County Square works well for game traffic. The only parking problem I see is for those who are not going to the games, but want to enjoy the West End. ANd, along the same lines, walking is your best friend. The City redeveloped downtown to encourage and enhance the experience of the walker, so why not get out and take advantage of their efforts?

Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 AM

197 posts, read 611,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiacarolina View Post
MWhy cant Columbia share the new stadium at USC for a new minor league team or build a new stadium in West Columbia. Is there a South Atlantic League rule or NCAA rule against sharing stadium with each other.
Why would columbia want a minor league team when you all have USC. You are blessed to have one of the best college baseball teams, college basketball and an improving football program. It would be like Athens or Clemson adding minor league baseball. Take advantage of the college atmosphere because allot of cities dont have that which is why they have minor league teams.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
This is an interesting thread seeing how I work for the Drive. Glad to hear most of you think there is nothing wrong with our ballpark. We are always looking for ways to improve fan experience though.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Attendance figures for the Drive the past three seasons:

2008: 349,116 (record year)
2009: 339,231
2010: 347,475

Good to see attendance rebound almost to back where it was in 2008 after falling a little in 2009. One more home game in the playoffs or during the regular season and we probably would have topped it.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 AM

207 posts, read 556,022 times
A question for G-man: A couple of weeks ago, my fam and I were having dinner at the Liberty Tap House on a Thursday night and noticed that people were taking BP at the park. It appeared to be open to the public and my hubby seemed interested--could you give me more info?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmne View Post
A question for G-man: A couple of weeks ago, my fam and I were having dinner at the Liberty Tap House on a Thursday night and noticed that people were taking BP at the park. It appeared to be open to the public and my hubby seemed interested--could you give me more info?
That was free batting practice for ticket plan holders which you can read more about here: Ticket Plan Holders BP is October 14th and 18th | Greenville Drive News Unfortunately, it wasn't open to the public. Hopefully that will change in the future.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

207 posts, read 556,022 times
Thanks G-Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area