Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,649 times

Advertisements

I am highly offended by your comments regarding Moes Southwest grill. First off, calling it Mexican food by definition is wrong. You, as a so-called Californian should know the difference between Mexican and Southwest cuisine. Obviously we are a long distance away from Mexico, and so as a result the food, regardless of whether or not you want to call it Mexican, is not going to be very authentic. In fact, it is catered to those who live in this area.
As for the food, I of all people in the world am most qualified to counter you on your...what you call "review." I am the prep person at Moes, and i can tell you that we make the salsa fresh every day, using only the freshest ingredients. Furthermore, your distasteful labeling of the guacamole as merely "powdered from a packet" is horribly, terribly mistaken. Not only do we take the pulp of fresh avocados daily, the fact that all ingredients are fresh only contributes to your incredibly wrong opinion. As for your opinion of the meat, you must be horribly naive to think that your meat is going to be freshly butchered to your order. You, yourself called it a "qsr's (quick service restaurant)." How can you possibly expect such a restaurant to stay in business if the food is not pre-prepped. The stake is actually panned out fresh every morning into containers, where it sits in a special freezer compartment under the cold line. I am deeply shocked by your lack of common sense.
As for you opinions of Frodo's and Haus Edelweis, i agree that Frodo's simply isnt that good. However, for you too assume, that if a restaurant has more than one store, its horrible, you must have been the most babied Californian brat ever born. Haus Edelweis, ah, don't even get me started.
I am deeply disappointed in you. Have you ever even eaten at what you consider a good restaurant? I mean, you cant really expect Baja Fresh to be "good" because it has "more than 1 store." Honestly, i have never met someone as selfish and spoiled as you.

I want to make this perfectly clear: I have never, ever, not once called anyone out for anything on any forum. If there is any confusion about that statement, please let me know. I will probably regret this post in the future, however, as for right now, I am proud of myself. Granted, Moes is not the best restaurant in the world, but simply slandering it because its not good enough for you is ultimately immature and childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 PM

153 posts, read 715,797 times
Yeah I dont know what their problem is. I've always enjoyed Moe's. I wish there were more around. Its decent southwestern food- and doesn't it say "Southwestern Grill" on the signs out front?

I agree that Frodo's in Gville is overrated- but for buffet pizza its not that bad.

Its hard to say where NOT to go in any city. Different people have different preferences and experiences. Some people just don't like some kinds of food. If the restaurant doesn't have an "A" rating, then its probably safe to say you shouldn't eat there.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,715 times
As is the case with all chains, it's difficult to have the quality be consistent at every location. Moe's isn't exactly the best at providing consistency, unfortunately, so it's hit-or-miss. Most of the locations in the Greenville area are pretty good, though. I've had some very bad experiences with Moe's in Florida (Ocala/the Villages/Orlando). I especially like the one in Simpsonville, but we frequently go over to Taylors to the one there. Salsarita's is good too, but I prefer the spicy pork from Chipotle, so it'll be a welcome addition to the market when it opens at Magnolia Place Town Center. I prefer their guac over Moe's (no offense, SCMoes, just a personal preference).

SCmoes: I've been wondering for a while why there isn't a Moe's in Travelers Rest yet or at least near Cherrydale yet. What's taking y'all so long?

Old 05-23-2007, 11:14 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
SCMoes,
No need for personal attacks, read the TOS. Regardless of the category that you feel that your restaurant falls under is irrelevant. If you're really just a prep cook and not an investor/franchisor as I'm inclined to believe due to your impassioned response than you should emplore your boss to improve the quality of the food. If you are in fact the franchisor/store manager you better contact corporate real quick and let them know that Chipotle is coming to town. People can't miss what they don't know.

As for the personal attacks, I merely expressed my opinion, which by defenition these message boards are for. In my opinion and many others your restaurant is awful and we will never go to another one ever again. Many others disagreed with me and will continue to frequent your establishment, much to my bewilderment. Hey, to each his own, y'know?

Bottom line, time to step it up.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:29 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
By the way, you did misinterpret my thoughts on restaurants having more than 1 store. That wouldn't make sense since a lot of the restaurants that we frequent are indeed qsr's therefore by definition having many locations. My comment was specific to the fact that Frodos and Moes had multiple locations and this indeed did and continues to baffle me. I don't like your restaurant, unfortunately you've taken this personally and decided to attack me with name calling and insults. I'm sorry if I offended you, this was as much a warning for newcomers to the area as it was a complaint. You can use my critique positively and improve the quality of your restaurant as one of the big boys, Chipotle, is entering this market, soon to be followed, no doubt, by Baja Fresh and El Pollo Loco, or you can continue to slander those with whom you disagree. Your choice.

P.S. For the record I did post in the good restaurants thread as well. Sonrise

Old 05-23-2007, 02:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Moe's is off the chain. Love that restaurant.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:25 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
As is the case with all chains, it's difficult to have the quality be consistent at every location. Moe's isn't exactly the best at providing consistency, unfortunately, so it's hit-or-miss. Most of the locations in the Greenville area are pretty good, though. I've had some very bad experiences with Moe's in Florida (Ocala/the Villages/Orlando). I especially like the one in Simpsonville, but we frequently go over to Taylors to the one there. Salsarita's is good too, but I prefer the spicy pork from Chipotle, so it'll be a welcome addition to the market when it opens at Magnolia Place Town Center. I prefer their guac over Moe's (no offense, SCMoes, just a personal preference).

SCmoes: I've been wondering for a while why there isn't a Moe's in Travelers Rest yet or at least near Cherrydale yet. What's taking y'all so long?
Where is Magnolia PLACE Town Center?

Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Where is Magnolia PLACE Town Center?
I thought I told you once before...I've changed the name. I didn't like everybody making fun of it by calling it Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:03 PM

240 posts, read 1,372,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
For the last 4 1/2 years I begged my wife to try german food. Being filipino/american she gravitates towards asian food and has a natural aversion to the more, shall I say, heartier fare. She promised me that when my parents came down from NJ to visit we could go to Haus Edelweis. Well, dad drove down last night and arrived this afternoon. After driving through Silverthorn and watching with deight as my dad looked with mouth agape and then spending a few hours downtown at artisphere we headed home towards Greer on Wade Hampton. The proverbial lightbulb went on and I shouted out, "hey how 'bout german food". my wife rolled her eyes, but hey, she promised.

Fast foward an hour. My wife I believe will never again have german food. I asked the waitress where the potato pancakes were on the menu, she responded that they didn't have them. No they didn't run out (that was the german potato salad) they actually didn't offer potato pancakes on their menu. Silly me, what was I thinking, a german restaurant selling potato pancakes. My wife ordered bratwurst with saurkraut and cabbage as her sides. Basically it was a hotdog with mushy, overcooked *****. The cabbage was too sweet for her, not sour enough. I enjoyed it though. My dad and I both had the sauerbarten. Not too bad, the meat was tender although the sauce was again, like the cabbage, a little too on the sweet side. The spaetzel however looked and tasted like an arts and crafts project that my 4 year old niece brought home from nursery school. The bread was very good and the caesar sald was not bad. This did sour my experience (pun intended) a bit on German food.
The AAA travel guide i have was not overwhelmed with this place either. I dont have the rating in front of me this instant but they made it sound a tad cheezy. being German myself, and having so many family recipes passed down I thought it may be a possible stop-off on our visit.. I'll have to give it a "look".. If I ever do relocate..I should open a Karl Ehmers down there!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 15,050 times
Default Real Mexican Food and worst restaurant I've ever been.

Hi Sonrise,

I too am from Southern Cali. I am from Oxnard. If you want to try Cali-style Mexican food, try Sabroso's on Woodruff.

If you want to try real Mexican food(like tortas, huaraches, Cali-style burritos, etc. the type of food you would see on the streets in Mexico), one place that my family goes to is "Las Meras Tortas" on White Horse Rd. I like it because its real Mexican food I am used to from Mexico and California, its not too expensive, and its a Mexican fast food restaurant(no wait staff).

Also, thank you for the suggestion on the "Best restaurants..." post. I want to mention to everybody else that the worst service I've ever had was at Restaurant Bergamo downtown. I proposed to my now-wife there and unfortunately, the bad service sticks to our memories when we think of the day I proposed to her. The manager(short haired woman) doesn't know anything about customer service. Into my wife's meal, she did not enjoy much her food and I asked the waitress politely if by any chance, we can change her meal. She called the manager and the manager was annoyed by my question and she told me "I told you if everything was alright!". What she meant is that she did come to our table when we just started eating our meal if everything was ok. My wife started not liking the taste of her meal in midst of our meal.

I would not have mind if they could not have changed my wife's meal for something else. We just thought we asked. I would have been happy if the manager would have said politely, "Im sorry we cant change the meal".

I have been in the restaurant business several years and I know that's not how you react to a customer even if they asking for something the restaurant can't do. So I would not recommend the restaurant Bergamo to anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area