Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Advertisements

We may have been fortunate with our waiter at Papas & Beer (Haywood Road), but honestly he was remarkably professional and attentive throughout the evening.

I can't contribute much information about the consistency of food quality at Henry's Smokehouse, other than to say that I've never been completely disappointed with their food. I've also never eaten their chicken, so perhaps that is the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
I'll throw in my 2 cents about Papas & Beer and Henry's since I've eaten at both places more than once.

Henry's, not bad, but not my favorite, didn't care much for their sides when it came to taste. I compare everything to Shorty's in Miami, what I grew up eating. I'm sure I'll find my all-around favorite given time, but right now, if I want BBQ I'd pick Huntin Camp.

Papas & Beer - I've never had a bad meal there and I would say maybe once or twice I've had a little slower or less-than-attentive service, but for as many times as I've been there since moving here, 5 or 6, and eating at the one in Hendersonville a few times as well, I've never been disappointed with any of the food. They have the best flan I've found outside my fav Cuban restaurant, as long as they keep that chocolate syrup and whipped creme off it - maybe that's a Mexican thing, but without it, it's really good.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Papa's and Beer is one of the best mexican establishments in the area. Recall that Sabroso was on Haywood next door to Papa's and Beer - after several months, Sabroso closed.

I like Sabroso quite a bit - the salsa is great - I used to eat at the one on Woodruff - but they allow smoking and their prices are a bit high. I also think their fajita's are bland.

Remember, Greenville, SC is not Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM (of which I've been to both). Mexican/New Mexican restaurants there blow away the SC counterparts.

I never go to Papa's and Beer during high traffic times (late Friday evenings and after church on Sundays) - they are overwhelmed with business and service (at times) suffers.

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-16-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 AM

506 posts, read 1,221,940 times
I'll throw my hat in - I've been to Papas and Beer many times and the service was great every time, food is the best Mexican food in the area IMO.

I go a lot during lunch when theres a 15 minute wait to get a table and the service is still fast. Maybe others have been unlucky? I went on Cinco De Mayo for lunch and there was ~40 people waiting for tables and we still go in and out in less than an hour.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:58 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
I've eaten at Papas and Beer twice. It was good both times. Not great, but really quite good for the price. The service was a bit slow once. I tracked down our waiter to get the bill, but that was partly because we were in a huge hurry. That wasn't their fault.

As far as Henry's, I've only eaten at the Wade Hampton location and I've only had the pulled pork. It's always been quite good. Their spicy sauce really puts it over the top. Not sure how you can go to a southern smokehouse and not get the pulled pork, preferably with baked beans and cole slaw.

Neither one of these places deserves to be on the "worst places to eat" list, imho.

Henry's Smokehouse - Greenville, SC

Papas & Beer - Greenville, SC

Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Papas and beer is great. great service, great food, great drink specials, atmosphere is fun, if anything our servers have been OVER attentive(not something to complain about). I have been there probably a dozen times since they've opened, and never been disappointed.
Maybe the poster got a bad server? or ordered the wrong thing? I'd give it another try if I was them. we used to go to sabrosos but after papas opened up anytime we are in the mood for mexican we definitely go there. Better service and a better price for food that is just as good if not better oh and my recommendation, try the pumpkin sauce(salsa bar) if you are into spicy food, it is delish!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 AM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,012 times
My family has eaten at Henry's on Wade Hampton or ordered take out many times and never had a bad meal. The meat was always juicy and tasty and the sauces great.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 PM

175 posts, read 201,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Papa's and Beer is one of the best mexican establishments in the area. Recall that Sabroso was on Haywood next door to Papa's and Beer - after several months, Sabroso closed.

I like Sabroso quite a bit - the salsa is great - I used to eat at the one on Woodruff - but they allow smoking and their prices are a bit high. I also think their fajita's are bland.

Remember, Greenville, SC is not Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM (of which I've been to both). Mexican/New Mexican restaurants there blow away the SC counterparts.

I never go to Papa's and Beer during high traffic times (late Friday evenings and after church on Sundays) - they are overwhelmed with business and service (at times) suffers.
That does not mean Poops and Beer is better

We went to P&B once. Our burritos tasted okay, we did not like the salsa bar and our waitress was useless until tip time. I go to the Sabroso on Woodruff, we like it, but lets face it, there is no really good Mexican food here. Those of you who like it, be happy, I am one less person in line. I have to say I do love Chipotle's. I would do anything for a chicken burrito bowl right now, love their hot sauce. It was Saturday afternoon, but I tell ya, I am 40yo and I am very easy to wait on and I know the difference between lazy service and someone being one person with a lot of tables or an overwhelmed kitchen.

I have lived all over the USA, Germany, France, Italy, Canada, Luxembourg and Belgium. I will agree NM has way better Mexican food now you are making me cry, I love Mexican food. Yes, I would marry it!

I have tried to think of a worse place in my 40 years of eating out and nothing tops Henry's Smokehouse. Just the thought of the taste of that fatty greasy chicken and the sight of it, haunts me to this day.

I am going to try out the BBQ places other's have mentioned though, I would love to have some good BBQ and this is SC for goodness sakes!

Moretti's is delicious! They have a fish fry on Fridays, OMG! Now, I have mainly lived on the coast of Fl and a little bit on the MS. I was born in Daytona Beach and went fishin' with my Grandpa and Ma, and did a lot of crabbin' too (you take string and tie it to chicken, the other end of the string is tied to a stake which you pound into the ground, then you toss out the chicken part into the water, wait, wait, wait and slowly reel it in, make sure your shadow is not cast in the water, and you scoop up the crabs...later help Pop make crab stew...talk about good eatin' !!!) so I do know good seafood. It is not as great as that, but my goodness it hangs off your dinner plate and it is just delicious! I have to say their pasta dishes and calzones are tasty too!

Wait this is the worst restaurant thread. I have to say the Ryan's/Golden Corral's etc, are horrible here...BLAH

Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 PM

175 posts, read 201,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Papas and beer is great. great service, great food, great drink specials, atmosphere is fun, if anything our servers have been OVER attentive(not something to complain about). I have been there probably a dozen times since they've opened, and never been disappointed.
Maybe the poster got a bad server? or ordered the wrong thing? I'd give it another try if I was them. we used to go to sabrosos but after papas opened up anytime we are in the mood for mexican we definitely go there. Better service and a better price for food that is just as good if not better oh and my recommendation, try the pumpkin sauce(salsa bar) if you are into spicy food, it is delish!
I promise you, I am not a picky eater, but I did not like it. I do not like Don Pablo's either or Over the Border or whatever it is called. I will give it another try though! Cause I LOVE Mexican food. I think one is opening up on the way to Heritage Park in dt Simpsonville, so I will try it out. You all have convinced me to try it again. Give me some recommendations! (btw, I did like the pumpkin sauce) I don't really care for Moe's either, to me their meat is too overly spiced. Salsaritas is okay.

I have heard Anitas is the bomb in dt Simpsonville, I plan on trying this one soon.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 AM

506 posts, read 1,221,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringWon View Post
I promise you, I am not a picky eater, but I did not like it. I do not like Don Pablo's either or Over the Border or whatever it is called. I will give it another try though! Cause I LOVE Mexican food. I think one is opening up on the way to Heritage Park in dt Simpsonville, so I will try it out. You all have convinced me to try it again. Give me some recommendations! (btw, I did like the pumpkin sauce) I don't really care for Moe's either, to me their meat is too overly spiced. Salsaritas is okay.

I have heard Anitas is the bomb in dt Simpsonville, I plan on trying this one soon.
The good news is, Papas and Beer has 0 in common with On the Border or Don Pablos - the food types between these 3 places are nothing alike at all, so comparing them is apples to oranges. Salsaritas/Moes/Chipotle is also completely different than the other 3 aforementioned places, so you can't really compare these different types of "mexican" to each other as they don't really have much in common other than a few of the basic ingredients.

Lets not confusing disliking a certain "type" of Mexican food with disliking a restaurant because it's food is gross/bad/bland/etc. I'm sure NM has a ton of awesome Mexican food, but I'm also sure it's a completely different style of Mexican food, just like Moe's is completely different from Don Pablos which is completely different from Papas and Beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area