Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringWon View Post
I have lived all over the USA, Germany, France, Italy, Canada, Luxembourg and Belgium. I will agree NM has way better Mexican food now you are making me cry, I love Mexican food. Yes, I would marry it!

I have tried to think of a worse place in my 40 years of eating out and nothing tops Henry's Smokehouse. Just the thought of the taste of that fatty greasy chicken and the sight of it, haunts me to this day.

I am going to try out the BBQ places other's have mentioned though, I would love to have some good BBQ and this is SC for goodness sakes!
I agree about the Mexican food here.

However, you can't judge a Southern smokehouse/BBQ joint when you order the chicken. It's like judging a steakhouse by the one chicken dish on their menu. Go to Henry's on Wade Hampton, get the pulled pork plate or sandwich with the mustard sauce (spicy sauce), a side of baked beans, and cole slaw. If you get the pulled pork sandwich, get the slaw on the sandwich. Then get back to us.

As you said, this is SC for goodness sakes - order the pork! It's all about the butt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:36 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
…you can't judge a Southern smokehouse/BBQ joint when you order the chicken. It's like judging a steakhouse by the one chicken dish on their menu. Go to Henry's on Wade Hampton, get the pulled pork plate or sandwich with the mustard sauce (spicy sauce), a side of baked beans, and cole slaw. If you get the pulled pork sandwich, get the slaw on the sandwich. Then get back to us.

As you said, this is SC for goodness sakes - order the pork! It's all about the butt!
I agree. And if you still want to order chicken (or delicious beef, pork, turkey, ribs, and Polish sausage) at a "local" BBQ restaurant, then try the marinated and smoked chicken breast at Dickey's. It is not covered by skin or fat.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 7,800 times
Default The Golden Corral

The Golden Corral in Greenville has to be right up there with the worst, bad food, bad service and very dirty as well...

Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM

175 posts, read 201,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackofdawn View Post
The good news is, Papas and Beer has 0 in common with On the Border or Don Pablos - the food types between these 3 places are nothing alike at all, so comparing them is apples to oranges. Salsaritas/Moes/Chipotle is also completely different than the other 3 aforementioned places, so you can't really compare these different types of "mexican" to each other as they don't really have much in common other than a few of the basic ingredients.

Lets not confusing disliking a certain "type" of Mexican food with disliking a restaurant because it's food is gross/bad/bland/etc. I'm sure NM has a ton of awesome Mexican food, but I'm also sure it's a completely different style of Mexican food, just like Moe's is completely different from Don Pablos which is completely different from Papas and Beer.
I was not comparing all of them as the same type, I was trying to think of a decent Mexican place besides Sobroso that I have been to. I do not like the taste of the good that I received at P and B, as simple as that. It could have been an off day and I will try it again and order something different.

Out of the one's mentioned, I like Chipotle out of the S/M/C group and Salsarita's is fine too. Out of the other group...I would say none but Sobroso until I try P&B again. Oh, and Anita's, I have heard good things about it.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM

175 posts, read 201,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWV View Post
The Golden Corral in Greenville has to be right up there with the worst, bad food, bad service and very dirty as well...
I totally agree! Where is the puke smiley when you need it?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,808 times
Quote:
I was not comparing all of them as the same type, I was trying to think of a decent Mexican place besides Sobroso that I have been to. I do not like the taste of the good that I received at P and B, as simple as that. It could have been an off day and I will try it again and order something different.

Out of the one's mentioned, I like Chipotle out of the S/M/C group and Salsarita's is fine too. Out of the other group...I would say none but Sobroso until I try P&B again. Oh, and Anita's, I have heard good things about it.
For restaurants similar to Sabroso (which we like some but not great), we like P&B more, and also Sr. Salsa (on woodruff road). Sr. Salsa is really similar to Sabroso and I've heard from a lot of people that really like it best out of those 'styles'. I consider P&B sort of in it's own style as it's not really quite like anything else in the area.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Oh, and Anita's, I have heard good things about it.
I must say I was not the least bit impressed with Anita's. It has to be the most "Americanized" Mexican food I've ever had. We tried it once, and haven't been back. The food was average, the atmosphere was horrible (they were using bright hundred watt bulbs) and overall, it just didn't impress.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
I agree with GS. I do not get the appeal of Anita's.

I ate there several years ago when I moved to the Upstate. The inside dining area was extremely cramped - plus, there were no booths. I felt like I was eating with family just adjacent to us. Was this place once a house?

The entrees were overpriced, bland, and overall just average. I will say the salsa was quite delicious.

A better Mexican place (in Simpsonville) is Tequila's on Fairview. Cheaper prices and better food. One problem with Tequila's: this place is tiny (still with more space between tables/booths than Anita's) and smoke often fills the restaurant. I recall going one night several years ago - Tequila's was so smokey my family and I left - the owner's were apologetic and were considering going "smoke free". I see by recent Yelp reviews this has not happened.

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-19-2011 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 09:23 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I ate there several years ago when I moved to the Upstate. The inside dining area was extremely cramped - plus, there were no booths. I felt like I was eating with family just adjacent to us. Was this place once a house?
OMG. Exactly. Well said. That's why I brought up the 100 watt light bulbs. I remember as a kid going to my grandmothers and she had bright, overhead lighting that would be on while you were sitting at the dinner table. Anita's feels just like that. Anita's, IMO, is in no way appealing.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM

800 posts, read 1,464,173 times
Any discussion of the worst dining establishments around Greenville has to begin and end with Harbor Inn Seafood.

I believe their Anderson location is still around, not sure about the Laurens Rd. location in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area