Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 55,545 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just spent 48 hours exploring these areas as possible retirement locations. We loved just about everything we saw! We're planning (sorta) to come back during the winter months and spend about a month in our RV, to have more time to look around, etc.

At the moment, I'm downloading reams of data on these towns from www.city-data.com, but I'd also like to hear from some of you who actually live around these towns, with your "take" on where you live and how you like it.

Specifically, we're interested in living in a somewhat secluded private isolated setting with some nice views but not necessarily water, rather than in "developments" whatever that term means to anyone! But we're also interested in proximity to daily shopping, the kinds of stuff you need when you go "run errands" around where you live (post office, bank, groceries, hardware stores, you know what I mean). And when we need to see the doctor, which we both have to do regularly, we're ok with driving to Greenville, but not if it's much more than about 30 minutes one way.

How practical is all this, in each of the general areas I've cited in the title of this msg?

Private replies also welcome, to the address in my profile.

And thanks in advance...

Tom in Pittsburgh, rooting for the Red Wings in the Stanley Cup (but quietly since they're playing Pittsburgh!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:41 PM

41 posts, read 145,239 times
You can cover a good distance in 30 minutes in the upstate. Our place is 15 miles north of Greenville, near Tigerville, and we can make downtown Greenville in 20-25 minutes during off-peak. Pickens would be pushing it, as would Six Mile. Travelers Rest is much closer in; only 10 miles from downtown. One of the best views of the mountains is in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Travelers Rest- seriously!

All of the towns you listed have a rural feel, although the main drag from Easley to Greenville is getting quite built up, with the result being slower traveling. Greenville County taxes will be higher than Pickens or Anderson Counties, I believe.

I don't know where you'll be moving from, but bear in mind that rural areas, outside of subdivisions, will often have pockets of poorer people in not-so-nice dwellings. You can have a beautiful new home right next to a run-down trailer. Our neighborhood is like that, but they're the nicest people you ever want to meet, regardless of the home they live in. I just say that because some folks want everything 'just so'. We're not that fussy. YMMV

Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 PM

803 posts, read 1,471,646 times
I happen to love the area around Six Mile, have family near there. The property and scenery are the prettiest of the areas you mentioned, IMO, but it is kind of remote...Clemson, 10 miles away, is the closest town of any size as far as eating out, groceries, etc. Downtown Greenville is a good 40-minute drive, and the main shopping/dining/hospital areas (mostly on the south and east side of Greenville) are even further than that.

TR and Easley definitely have location in their favor. I'm also a big fan of the Powdersville community of northern Anderson County (which has Easley addresses, mostly). Mountain views aren't as good, but the setting is still pretty and I think it's still possible to find a house with some property for not much $$$.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM

807 posts, read 1,790,731 times
I live in Easley and I love it. 10 minutes to the grocery store, 10-15 minutes to the doctor and about 20 minutes to the mall in Greenville. I do live in a neighborhood but we all have at least 1/2 ac. lots so we are not too crowded. You can go to Dacusville in about 10 minutes to get a better view. We are also about 35 minutes to Lake Keowee if we want to go there. Lake Hartwell is a little closer. Travelers Rest has some nice views as well and it is as someone else posted about 15 minutes to downtown Greenville.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:25 PM

262 posts, read 826,567 times
I would say easley on the outskirts or powdersville would be good for you. We are about 12 minutes from the grocery, 30 or so from gville hospital and many drs. We live in a rural section of town in anderson county part of easley. We love it here and feel it is convienent to everything yet far enough away from things too. Good Luck in your adventures.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,395 times
Default carorich

Tom,
You need to spend more time in those areas------we are currently staying in Pickens, and when our month is over, we will not be back. I find it kind of shabby, my opinion only, and you'd better like driving! Easley has the closest Walmart, I think---Pickens itself has no shopping to speak of. Pretty country, but that's all.
We are looking at Spartenbug Co. now. So far, liking it better----it totally depends on what kind of lifestyle you prefer.
Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 22,025 times
I have lived in Easley for almost nine years. I have seen it grow very much in that time. I think it is a good location if you want or need to go into Greenville often. Six Mile is not that convenient to G'ville. There's not much in Liberty either, meaning restaurants and shopping. I don't think you could go wrong with any choice, because this is really a nice area.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:25 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,860,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
I live in Easley and I love it. 10 minutes to the grocery store, 10-15 minutes to the doctor and about 20 minutes to the mall in Greenville. I do live in a neighborhood but we all have at least 1/2 ac. lots so we are not too crowded. You can go to Dacusville in about 10 minutes to get a better view. We are also about 35 minutes to Lake Keowee if we want to go there. Lake Hartwell is a little closer. Travelers Rest has some nice views as well and it is as someone else posted about 15 minutes to downtown Greenville.
I second this motion, my wife and I just moved here, and we feel like we're 5-20 minutes away from just about anything, and with a big shopping center supposedly being built near here in the next year or two, soon we'll have even more, while still being in a more rural area!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 AM

181 posts, read 410,425 times
All the areas you mentioned could be good for you. Traffic at certain times of day may mean some areas are pushing it but really look at outside of Greenville county for lower taxes. Look at north of I85 or around Hwy 11 to see some other great areas.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:27 AM

9,945 posts, read 7,844,457 times
We found a home in a very pretty, private, secluded neighborhood in Easley, close to everything, but tucked away off the main roads. We're in Pickens county, just outside of the Easley city limits. This area has been very convenient for us. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area