Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 10:40 AM

642 posts, read 2,091,264 times

Advertisements

Employees: 'We Showed Up For Work And They Closed' - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/22609925/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM

11,712 posts, read 24,839,998 times
Isn't it illegal not to inform your employees before hand of any closing? Losing a few dozen jobs is bad, but nothing compared to this: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,1667101.story Glad to see the stimulus package working.

Last edited by g-man430; 02-19-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 07:13 AM

1,949 posts, read 2,768,430 times
This is a right to work state, so no notice is required. Of course it is the right thing to do, but not every company looks at it that way. I am sure it was a difficult decision to make, but one has to know that management saw this coming. Thinking about it, I don't know if getting the news a couple of weeks ahead of time would be any easier than receiving it the same day. Either way, it is bad. I have been in their shoes two times in my 32 year working career. It was a difficult time. However, times were better the both times it happened to me. The first time, it only took two weeks to find a new job. The second time, it took nine weeks, which were very stressful. I found myself going through a range of emotions, from being angry to feeling sorry for myself, to finally picking myself up and hitting the streets to find a job. Looking back on it, I learned a lot of life lessons during that time, including putting my faith in God and not man. These are very difficult times. I have friends that have been without a job for more than a year. I cannot what they are feeling. As a banker, I see it taking years before many of these jobs come back. I try to be positive about the economy, but it is hard to when you talk to so many individuals and businesses that are hurting. Banking is not fun at all right now. I pray that I am wrong, but I am afraid it is going to get worse before it gets better. For sure, it will never be the same, and I mean never.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,552,723 times
It is bad enough to show up to work and be shocked to learn that you are being laid off but at least they should have been kind enough to give employees some advance notice so that they will have time to prepare. At least doing the human thing and having consideration for others the blow would be a little softer.

When I found myself laid off in Greenville the company was kind enough to not only give those laid off 2 months advance notice but we were allowed to stay home for those 2 months and still receive full pay. At first I thought that they did that because it is a law....then I realized that because they reported to the headquarter office in NYC they were simply following company policy regarding lay off's....either way I was grateful and wish there were more employers who conducted themselves this way.

The question is how do people change the laws in a right to work state so that these kinds of lay off's do not continue to happen to hardworking people? It seems to me that SC residents need to begin to organize, vote in the right politicians and stand up for themselves. It is time that SC employers stop being allowed to abuse people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area