Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
Do you work with some survey group that has absolute knowledge of every persons belief in Greenville?
Having talked to (rough guess) about 50 people (more than a clerk's "how are you today?") over 5 years...

Hypothesis: 10% of the population is actually non-religious. What is the probability that all 50 that I met are, solely by chance, religious?

Take a guess and I will reply with the mathematical answer to that hypothesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
So 0.01% of Greenville's population being religious equates to 90% of Greenville's population being religious.

I'm glad you said it was a hypothesis LOL
huh?

What % of Greenville do you think is religious? I can do my calculation with any % but I have to have a number, so I guess 90%.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM

347 posts, read 980,699 times
I don't think this conversation is making any sense.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Default Will Someone Answer This Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would like the wave and hello, that would mean alot to me. There is so little of that courtesy left in the country, it would be refreshing.

What would make me uncomfortable, would be what you mentioned about the push with religion. One hates to bring it up on the website for fear of insulting anyone. However when you want to reseach areas, one needs to ask questions. I see nothing wrong with religion, but again I would feel nervous if it were continually brought up. I have had to wonder, if it is such a dominant part of the cultures could I adjust to it. I probably could not, so better to find that out early on. So I ask, if religion is not a part of ones life in Greenville and the Southern USA, can it affect them socially and thier life there.

Im thinking a person could have a good life there, and meet many friendly people. They could also feel somewhat out of place at times over the religion.

I hope this doesn't irritate anyone because it is not meant to. I would just like to know.
JimRob1 seems to want to know that if a person isn't particularly religious, how they would fit in the Greenville area?

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I would like the wave and hello, that would mean alot to me. There is so little of that courtesy left in the country, it would be refreshing.

What would make me uncomfortable, would be what you mentioned about the push with religion. One hates to bring it up on the website for fear of insulting anyone. However when you want to reseach areas, one needs to ask questions. I see nothing wrong with religion, but again I would feel nervous if it were continually brought up. I have had to wonder, if it is such a dominant part of the cultures could I adjust to it. I probably could not, so better to find that out early on. So I ask, if religion is not a part of ones life in Greenville and the Southern USA, can it affect them socially and thier life there.

Im thinking a person could have a good life there, and meet many friendly people. They could also feel somewhat out of place at times over the religion.

I hope this doesn't irritate anyone because it is not meant to. I would just like to know.
The wave and hello just to be friendly toward a stranger is great, as you mentioned there is so little of that kind of courtesy left in the world.

In my experience I have found that the smaller the town the more push there is towards a discussion about religion. There were people that I met here and they would get on the topic of religion by asking me what church I go to? Then when I told them that I do not go to church.........first the look of shock..........then the next thing was "you should visit my church sometime"!

The assumption by many here that everyone goes to church on Sunday while yes it can be annoying to a newcomer I do not believe that it is meant offensively. It is just a part of the culture here in the south.

When people are friendly and genuinely talking just to get to know you as a person that is great southern hospitality. But when the southern hospitality is used (disguised) as an ice breaker just to pry into someone's personal life and find out their business so that the small town gossipers will have something else to gossip about........then it is a problem. Found a lot of that behavior here.........many of the people while protraying themselves as just trying to be friendly towards a newcomer were really trying to find out information to gossip about.

This is one of the reasons that I decided to purchase my home in Greenville rather then some of the smaller towns here in SC..........I wanted a more city like atmosphere where people had something else to do with their time besides gossip or discuss religion. Then again in many of these towns there is little or nothing to do other then go to work all week and then church on Sunday........so this type of behavior keep many occupied.

Yes religion is a dominant part of the culture here in the south..........but I have adjusted and have had no problems.........you should be okay once you adjust. People are people everywhere you go but I would say that those interested in relocating do it in a bigger city where there are activities besides just church on Sunday.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Good to know

Thanks, MT Man and NewYorkBorn. It's good to know what the culture of the city is. I can respect other's beliefs as long as they respect mine.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:02 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Thanks everyone for the info that was provided.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,399,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Yes the people here are friendly for the most part and will wave and say hello to a stranger. There is also a push towards discussing religion whenever a conversation starts........usually they open that door by assuming you go to church and asking what church you go to.
That's kinda creepy.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Yes the people here are friendly for the most part and will wave and say hello to a stranger. There is also a push towards discussing religion whenever a conversation starts........usually they open that door by assuming you go to church and asking what church you go to.
I've lived in a lot of places. This is the only place where I've been asked what church I go to when first meeting people. It happens a lot. Yes, it's creepy. I have answered the question several different ways, but when I've said I'm agnostic and don't go to church, people look at me like I'm the Devil or something. It's definitely an conversation-ender for a lot of people.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,399,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I've lived in a lot of places. This is the only place where I've been asked what church I go to when first meeting people. It happens a lot. Yes, it's creepy. I have answered the question several different ways, but when I've said I'm agnostic and don't go to church, people look at me like I'm the Devil or something. It's definitely an conversation-ender for a lot of people.
I'm considering a job in Duncan, and have been checking out the posts on here about Greenville. That one really bothers me, as I am an agnostic myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area