Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,398,311 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in Duncan. Just how conservative is Greenville? The fact that Bob Jones University is there makes me a little concerned. Are there a lot of people off the deep end, or will I, as a liberal, be able to live day to day without intrusion from bible thumpers?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I'm considering a job in Duncan. Just how conservative is Greenville? The fact that Bob Jones University is there makes me a little concerned. Are there a lot of people off the deep end, or will I, as a liberal, be able to live day to day without intrusion from bible thumpers?
Dude, seriously, this is so flippin offensive and is so played out. Hit the search button, click on advanced and then type in liberal and the Greenville forum. I'm gonna repost a post that I wrote a few years back to another poster who asked a similarly snide comment to yours; hopefully you'll see things from our perspective; I doubt it, but you never know:

UGH!!!!
Here we go again, a seemingly innocuous post about how the poster "doesn't have a problem with religion, or anything" yet then uses really condescending words like zealot and fanatic. I'm so sick of this anti-Christian bigotry cloaked under the guise of "tolerance".

How about I start a thread in the San Francisco forum titled "Is SF really full of far left gay loving secular fundamentalists?" How do you think that would go over?

Yes, we are much more Christian than a lot of the country, and newsflash: Many of us moved here for that very reason. *GASP*

Yep, it's true there are still some people that believe in God, family and Country and believe that we are indeed in need of a Savior. I know, I know, you must be thinking that we just need a little education and then we will become as enlightened and tolerant as those that have exchanged "religion for reason, logic and science."

As to the last question in your arrogant diatribe: I haven't read anything that your b-i-l posted but you are indeed guilty of stereotyping. "Can't be", you argue, "I'm tolerant". Sure you are, sure you are.

Okay, rant over.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I am a minister here and find this place scary. So scary in fact my denomination is now working on my transfer.

Bible thumpers rule this area. They love to tell everyone how to live and try and legislate that without looking at the hypocrisy of their actions. I have been stabbed in the back by "True Christians" more times since I arrived here than in my previous 40+ years of life.

Run from this place as fast as you can... run, run and then run some more.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:57 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I am a minister here and find this place scary. So scary in fact my denomination is now working on my transfer.

Bible thumpers rule this area. They love to tell everyone how to live and try and legislate that without looking at the hypocrisy of their actions. I have been stabbed in the back by "True Christians" more times since I arrived here than in my previous 40+ years of life.

Run from this place as fast as you can... run, run and then run some more.
wow.... but so true

Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Bob Jones University (known by the locals as "the mothership") serves as our daily guide, and helps us navigate through all of the nasty, vile, non-Christians who are infesting our city like vermin. The University speaks for all of us (yes, all 100% of us in Greenville).

Those who disagree are sent away on school buses. We use the short buses, because anyone who disagrees with Bob Jones or his teachings clearly has special needs.

This works well, because we are not capable of thinking for ourselves. We are robots, programmed to criticize and destroy all non-Republican, non-conservative individuals. We will eventually take over the entire state, followed by the entire nation, then the world, and ultimately, the universe (which was created 6,000 years ago). We will fulfill our mission!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Lmao!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:39 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Yes, all 437,000+ residents of Greenville County attend Bob Jones University. <---------Sarcastic.

-People really need to quit stereotyping this area. Not everybody who lives here is a conservative republican including me. I voted for Obama.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Lots of people voted for Obama. 90% of black voters voted for Obama.

That is the reason NC and VA went blue. They didn't switch from conservative to liberal overnight.

AL and MS still went red because there were very few white people who voted for Obama.

Nothing against black people, just pointing out a statistical fact.

Not too many people are willing to say things like this for fear of being labeled "racist". I am not a PC person.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:06 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Lots of people voted for Obama. 90% of black voters voted for Obama.

That is the reason NC and VA went blue. They didn't switch from conservative to liberal overnight.

AL and MS still went red because there were very few white people who voted for Obama.

Nothing against black people, just pointing out a statistical fact.

Not too many people are willing to say things like this for fear of being labeled "racist". I am not a PC person.
Correction: 97% of black Americans voted for Obama.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Bob Jones University (known by the locals as "the mothership") serves as our daily guide, and helps us navigate through all of the nasty, vile, non-Christians who are infesting our city like vermin. The University speaks for all of us (yes, all 100% of us in Greenville).

Those who disagree are sent away on school buses. We use the short buses, because anyone who disagrees with Bob Jones or his teachings clearly has special needs.

This works well, because we are not capable of thinking for ourselves. We are robots, programmed to criticize and destroy all non-Republican, non-conservative individuals. We will eventually take over the entire state, followed by the entire nation, then the world, and ultimately, the universe (which was created 6,000 years ago). We will fulfill our mission!
Not only are people sent away on buses, some are tied to stakes and burned. As a gay couple, my partner and I were tied to a stake last night in Falls Park downtown, while all of Greenville chanted death to que*rs. We were able to narrowly escape by gnawing through the rope, just before the fire was lit. We made it home only by following underground tunnels that all gay men, social drinkers, single moms, Jews, Asians and Berkeley grads must use to avoid the confrontation with the conservative masses. Upon our move to Greenville a few years back, my partner who is both gay and Jewish (double whammy) had a target branded onto his forehead by the local welcome wagon. We are currently secretly working with a plastic surgeon in a liberal city, to have the mark removed, as we try to plan our next escape from Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area