Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:42 PM

74 posts, read 185,730 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering relocating from Atlanta to Greenville early next year. We are looking for good schools, sidewalks, parks, cultural activities, and a less stressful lifestyle. My husband will be a Registered Nurse, so finding a job will not be an issue. We want to start a family soon. Our housing price range is no more than $175,000. Are there any nice, older neighborhoods that will provide what we are looking for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 10:06 PM

282 posts, read 751,232 times
Have you considered the Powdersville/Easley area? Good schools, low taxes and very close to hospitals. If you would like more information send me a private email.

Sheri Sanders

Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,967 times
Thumbs up Greenville-Spartanburg area

I'm originally from a small country town in Upstate, NY. My husband's job brought us to Greenville. We ended up buying a very nice house in Simpsonville ... 20 mins. from downtown Greenville.

We've lived here for 5 yrs. now and I love it here! I do NOT miss the snow and ice cold winter winds. I do, however, miss my grandchildren terribly...

Simpsonville has been undergoing a huge growth spurt the past couple of years, commercial wise, but we think it's a great thing. Fairview Road now offers several new restuarants, stores like Pier One, Belks, Kohls, etc. Although our back yard is encased with trees, giving us a sense of privacy and a country setting, anything and everything is very close by, which I just love!

The taxes are very low here, especially compared to New York! We bought a beautiful 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with a third of an acre of land, for approx. $130,000!

Drive less than an hour and you can see all the snow you want in the winter time -- Asheville... or drive to the coast and you have your choice of several beautiful beach locations, including Hilton Head Island, Myrtle Beach, and of course, Charleston.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you have about this area!

My youngest daughter graduated from Hillcrest High School and is currently in college here, to become a Doctor of Pathology. So far she has a perfect 4.0!

Shywhisper22

Old 05-07-2007, 03:27 PM

74 posts, read 185,730 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you for your advice. We have looked for information online and were interested in the East Side of Greenville, Greer or Travelers Rest. Are those good areas?

Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 26,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
Thank you for your advice. We have looked for information online and were interested in the East Side of Greenville, Greer or Travelers Rest. Are those good areas?
The Greer area is a booming area. I'm originally from Atlanta and live in Greer now. It is very convenient to both Greenville and Spartanburg. 45 minutes to the mountains and 3 hours to the coast.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,837 times
Travelers Rest is a great area, in my opinion. My wife and I have a young family (one in elementary school, the other just a toddler). We moved up here to get away from Orlando back in 2001 for many of the same reasons. We looked at all areas of town. Although the Mauldin/Sipsonville/Greer area and over on the Eastside was close to all the shopping/restraunts/etc. at the time, we chose to move to Travelers Rest.

I'll provide some photos because just talking about it doesn't do it justice...

There are a couple of nice parks here in T.R. and Furman University is very close by (it's like a park in and of itself, believe me...we walk around the campus very frequently).

Gateway Park:

Not pictured: Poinsett Park.

Furman University:

We have our own branch library (pictured below), too, which is extremely convenient.

The North Greenville YMCA (pictured below) is located nearby and has lots of activities for the family (sports, exercise classes, etc.).

There's a rails-to-trails project currently underway to link Travelers Rest to Furman University and then Furman on into Downtown Greenville using an old abandoned rail line (left: Travelers Rest end of the trail, center and right: Downtown Greenville end of the trail).

The schools have all been either completely remodeled (Heritage and Gateway Elementary and Northwest Middle) or replaced with a new structure altogether (T.R. High School, pictured below).

Plus: You'd be closer to the state parks and the mountains if you get that
urge to get even farther away from it all.

Shopping options were limited when we first moved to T.R., but we didn't mind driving as driving a long distance to get to certain things was common to us in Orlando. Since we've lived here, more shopping and dining options have cropped up near Cherrydale (Ross, TJ Max, Staples, Petco, Old Navy, Olive Garden, Starbucks, etc.) and more are on the way (Circuit City/Kohl's, etc.)...plus there's a huge cineplex at Cherrydale. Now if only Target, Sonic, Breuster's, Moe's, and Firehouse Subs would open up on this end of town or in Travelers Rest, I'd personally be set. Additionally, the nicest Wal-Mart (and I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart (pictured below) by any means) and arguably the nicest McDonald's you'll ever see are here in Travelers Rest...if you're into the simple stuff.

The best part of living here in T.R. is that there is a VERY SHORT drive into Downtown Greenville and parking at the Richardson Street Garage behind the Mast General Store is very convenient (and free on weekends). Also, it's a short drive up into Hendersonville and Asheville from here.

If you want to know more about Travelers Rest, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to share with you what I know.

Last edited by RestedTraveler; 05-08-2007 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: Updated to provide Photos

Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
Travelers Rest is a great area, in my opinion. My wife and I have a young family (one in elementary school, the other just a toddler). We moved up here to get away from Orlando back in 2001 for many of the same reasons. We looked at all areas of town. Although the Mauldin/Sipsonville/Greer area and over on the Eastside was close to all the shopping/restraunts/etc. at the time, we chose to move to Travelers Rest.

I'll provide some photos because just talking about it doesn't do it justice...
Great pictures, thank you! Do you have anymore pics of Traveler's Rest? We live in Nags Head, NC and are looking for a change (we've been here for 18 years and real estate is out of control, plus too many tourists). The Greenville area seems like a wonderful option - and the more I read about Traveler's Rest (or Greer?), the more I like it. From what I understand, it's close to Greenville yet has a smaller town atmosphere with a pretty skyline and close to parks, recreation, etc. Are there any decent lakes or rivers nearby? We are coming out for a visit the first week of June but will have a limited time to look - so the pictures and info you posted were very encouraging. If you have any more it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM

250 posts, read 1,212,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswilfong View Post
Great pictures, thank you! Do you have anymore pics of Traveler's Rest?
Thanks! Check out the following photo pool on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/79664229@N00/ (broken link)

Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
Thanks! Check out the following photo pool on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/79664229@N00/ (broken link)
RestedTraveler, I enjoyed all of your pictures - they are beautiful! Is it my imagination, or is everything in your area as clean as it appears in your pictures? It looks like someone dusts and vacuums twice a day!
Very beautiful area - thank you for sharing your photos!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:42 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
RestedTraveler, I enjoyed all of your pictures - they are beautiful! Is it my imagination, or is everything in your area as clean as it appears in your pictures? It looks like someone dusts and vacuums twice a day!
Very beautiful area - thank you for sharing your photos!
I hear that very same comment by many who first see the city. It is definitely as clean as you see in the photos. The City has employees who go around picking up litter and trash at various times throughout the week. Some places are better than others, but you will definitely be pleased with downtown's cleanliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area