Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:04 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealexis View Post
Wherever did you hear that Traders Joe was coming to Greenville?
I can't even imagine it.
You can't imagine it based upon what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:57 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealexis View Post
Wherever did you hear that Traders Joe was coming to Greenville?
I can't even imagine it.
Greenville has a 55,000 square foot Whole Foods and you can't imagine Trader Joes coming? Whole Foods is kind of the pinnacle of grocery shopping, once you have them, it is very easy to see Trader Joe's entering the market.
Not to mention Earth Fare and Fresh Market. Greenville is a strong food market.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 AM

288 posts, read 949,085 times
I would do a dance of happiness if Trader Joes came, as would many of my friends. It's nice to know that enough people are concerned with the quality of their food to support Whole Foods, Earthfare, Fresh Market and possibly Trader Joes. The more people start reading labels, doing research and becoming willing to spend a little more on high-quality stuff, the more the market will expand, improving selection and, eventually, causing prices of organics, etc. to decrease.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 AM

9,502 posts, read 9,816,320 times
A move to the SC/Upstate area would seem like a logical move for Trader Joes. There are 6 stores in NC, 6 in GA and 1 in TN. The obvious next expansion step would be SC.

Looking at their website and their emphasis on healthier food, I would shop there instead of Wal-Mart or Ingles (my current stores). I'm looking into improving the food my family eats, but I feel that Whole Foods, Fresh Market is still over priced.

Trader Joes shows that they can offer good food, for a reasonable price.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
A move to the SC/Upstate area would seem like a logical move for Trader Joes. There are 6 stores in NC, 6 in GA and 1 in TN. The obvious next expansion step would be SC.

Looking at their website and their emphasis on healthier food, I would shop there instead of Wal-Mart or Ingles (my current stores). I'm looking into improving the food my family eats, but I feel that Whole Foods, Fresh Market is still over priced.

Trader Joes shows that they can offer good food, for a reasonable price.
If they pledge to source as many fresh products locally as they can (like Whole Foods), that would be a nice little boost to local organic farms/dairies, etc.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I've had several converstaions with TJ's corporate. They don't generally go into any city that has less than a 1M pop. and surrounded by a densly populated area, plus they prefer a more upscale setting. This is why the only midwestern cities that have TJ stores are in Chicago and St. Louis. Manager entry level is $80k with a business degree. The St. Louis stores get daily shipments Mon-Sun every day the store is open. I drive 300 miles to shop TJ.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I've had several converstaions with TJ's corporate. They don't generally go into any city that has less than a 1M pop. and surrounded by a densly populated area, plus they prefer a more upscale setting. This is why the only midwestern cities that have TJ stores are in Chicago and St. Louis. Manager entry level is $80k with a business degree. The St. Louis stores get daily shipments Mon-Sun every day the store is open. I drive 300 miles to shop TJ.
There are stores in SE Michigan as well as IN and Ohio. Usually, that is considered part of the midwest. I don't think the stores in NC fit into the 1M category either.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Ummm...Madison, Wisconsin has one. I should know seeing how i've been to it.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:28 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
plus they prefer a more upscale setting.
Not exactly. Their locations tend to be less upscale than Whole Foods (of which Greenville has one). They like to be in a densely populated area, good demographics and prefer street frontage. Magnolia Park fits those three criteria and it will be moderately upscale.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Everything you wrote in this post is completely wrong; everything. Driving 300 miles to shop @ Trader Joes; really, really wrong; and this is coming from someone who use to go there at least 3 times a week. They'll be here, as soon as the economy picks up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area