Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 AM

94 posts, read 377,925 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've searched on this forum and found a lot of information about the Boiling Springs area as well as Greer and Duncan. My husband and I are thinking of moving to the town of Inman. We are late 40's and have no children at home and therefore don't have to be concerned with schools.

The main interest would be...what is the town itself like? Is it run-down or do people take pride in their town? Should you live outside the town or is there a nice historic district where you can have the small town feel?

Any information about this little town sure would be appreciated. I work at home and my husband would commute to Greenville. Are there reasons NOT to live in Inman? Crime, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 10:09 AM

65 posts, read 193,007 times
Default Inman is where I am moving

Hi,

Well this is one I'm familiar with, I just bought a house in Green Briar Creek, in Inman, what a beautiful area, My daughter is 16 1/2 and will start 11th grade at Chapman High, and my son is 14 and will be starting 8th grade at T.E. Mabry. I love the area, The little town of Inman with their shops and the railroad tracks kind of reminds me of Mayberry. And I'm minutes from Boiling Springs on Hwy 9, Wal mart, Ingles, restaurants, etc.
I also have some friends that have moved there and love it, I only hear really good things so far. I will be living in a very friendly and family orientated neighborhood, it's a fairly new built-up development. I'm closing around the 1st of June, I've been packing away.
I like it because I am close to Greenville, and Spartanburg, rather central which is good for jobs, and all kinds of shopping etc.
There is also a beautiful lake down the road about 4 miles, where they picnic, water activities, etc. Playground.
I truly cannot wait to get there. I've read very good things about the school systems they will be going to, from my research. I have been waiting for this day along time, and patience and faith has finally brought me to where I want to be. Ask me anything as you think of it.
Mary

Old 05-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Does no one know anything about Inman? Is it that out of the way or undesireable. My husband and I are both professionals, he an Army officer and I, an RN who travels as a Quality Improvement Consultant.

We would like the small town feel, and want to be part of a community. Would we not fit in there? I did see where there is a significant part of the population that only possess high school degrees, but that doesn't mean people aren't friendly, involved, and just all-around good people.

My husband is from Huntsville, Ala, and Myrtle Beach, SC is my home town. We now reside in Asheville, NC, but we want to escape the higher taxes and cost of living here, and seek a more conservative, but not isolated area.

Please help me if you can!

Susan

Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Mary,

Thank you so much for your reply! I was beginning to think no one knew anything about Inman! I will check out your neighborhood. I am looking at a house today in the city limits, so this will be my first trip into the town. Mayberry is exactly what we are looking for! My husband and I fell in love with Landrum, SC, but it didn't work out for us to live there (we weren 't going to be living at the Cliffs ha)

Any other thoughts about the town?

Thank you so much!
Susan

Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM

Please forgive my lack of manners, Mary. Where are you moving from? I'm sure you are excited to be in a place where you enjoy living and already know people.

June would be a nice time of the year to move. We are hoping to find something in the next 30-60 days so that we can be settled in the fall of the year.

What made you choose Inman over other areas closer to Greenville such as Greer?

Thank you,
Susan

Old 05-15-2007, 11:04 PM

153 posts, read 715,692 times
Inman is a nice town. There are two parts of the "town" Inman Mills (near the Mill) and Inman Station (near the railroad tracks). Each of which has older housing. The surrounding areas are starting to see growth from Spartanburg, so you'll find lots of living options- from old housing to new subdivisions- whatever you want! There is also the chance for luxury loft living in the Inman Mill itself, which is being converted to condos.

The town itself is not as quaint or charming as Landrum, but I think its improving for the better. There isn't as much activity on Main St as there is in Landrum. It seems to be improving but you should check it out before you settle on it. But it has plenty of restaurants and shopping options on 176, and you aren't far from the larger shopping areas in Boiling Springs or Spartanburg's Westside. Greenville isn't a bad drive either- the location near I-26 puts you on I-85 quickly.

Duncan is a nice area, but it doesn't have the downtown feel that I think you want. Duncan, Lyman, and Wellford are all former mill towns, so there is a lot of housing variety in that area of Western Spartanburg County.

Greer is starting to have that small town charm, and they are working hard to fix up their downtown area to have that feel. Greer is much more of a suburbanized area than Inman, so you may loose some of that small town charm in the area outside of the old town (also a mill town) infavor of closer access to shopping needs.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:33 AM

Thank you so much for your reply, Carolina 1690! I went to Inman yesterday and looked at a nice, older home. My husband will want to see it on Saturday. You are right, the downtown area of Inman is not as charming as Landrum, but there are more restaurants, stores, etc to choose from. And, I saw a man on a tractor pulling in to the Eckerd's drug store and parked. I smiled when I saw him.

The neighbor next door said it's very convenient to Spartanburg and even Greenville if you want to drive a little more than half an hour. He said the mayor is very interested in improving the town, and that many people who moved away when younger are now returning here to retire. I think we could enjoy living there.

My husband and I both liked Greer very much the one time we drove through the main section of town. We didn't know where to look for homes, though. Thankfully now we have an agent (she's wonderful and didn't make my husband sign a 6 month contract!) and will begin our search in earnest now. We hope to find a house in the next 30 days.

This weekend we will visit the Converse Heights area and look at 2 homes. I know it's a ways from Greenville, but it is so bad to commute from there? I've read where that neighborhood is nice, around Converse College. Does anyone have opinions living in that area of Spartanburg? When I was in high school we had both Furman scholars and scholarships to Converse. It seemed so far away from Myrtle Beach, and now I think all those years later, here I am about to settle there.

Thank you so much!
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_1690 View Post
Inman is a nice town. There are two parts of the "town" Inman Mills (near the Mill) and Inman Station (near the railroad tracks). Each of which has older housing. The surrounding areas are starting to see growth from Spartanburg, so you'll find lots of living options- from old housing to new subdivisions- whatever you want! There is also the chance for luxury loft living in the Inman Mill itself, which is being converted to condos.

The town itself is not as quaint or charming as Landrum, but I think its improving for the better. There isn't as much activity on Main St as there is in Landrum. It seems to be improving but you should check it out before you settle on it. But it has plenty of restaurants and shopping options on 176, and you aren't far from the larger shopping areas in Boiling Springs or Spartanburg's Westside. Greenville isn't a bad drive either- the location near I-26 puts you on I-85 quickly.

Duncan is a nice area, but it doesn't have the downtown feel that I think you want. Duncan, Lyman, and Wellford are all former mill towns, so there is a lot of housing variety in that area of Western Spartanburg County.

Greer is starting to have that small town charm, and they are working hard to fix up their downtown area to have that feel. Greer is much more of a suburbanized area than Inman, so you may loose some of that small town charm in the area outside of the old town (also a mill town) infavor of closer access to shopping needs.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:09 PM

55 posts, read 280,372 times
Default Inman

Do any of you know anything about Lake Emory in Inman. We are really interested in a couple of homes there, in fact, we're scheduled to see several there this Friday, but we can't seem to find any info on the community itself. Any ideas?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM

153 posts, read 715,692 times
Lake Emory is a nice neighborhood. Its still being built. There is a pretty wide variety of homes to choose from in terms of price. Nice views accross the lake there. Good access to Inman, Boiling Springs, and Spartanburg. If you can be more specific with questions I will try to answer them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2007 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, Carolina 1690! I went to Inman yesterday and looked at a nice, older home. My husband will want to see it on Saturday. You are right, the downtown area of Inman is not as charming as Landrum, but there are more restaurants, stores, etc to choose from. And, I saw a man on a tractor pulling in to the Eckerd's drug store and parked. I smiled when I saw him.

The neighbor next door said it's very convenient to Spartanburg and even Greenville if you want to drive a little more than half an hour. He said the mayor is very interested in improving the town, and that many people who moved away when younger are now returning here to retire. I think we could enjoy living there.

My husband and I both liked Greer very much the one time we drove through the main section of town. We didn't know where to look for homes, though. Thankfully now we have an agent (she's wonderful and didn't make my husband sign a 6 month contract!) and will begin our search in earnest now. We hope to find a house in the next 30 days.

This weekend we will visit the Converse Heights area and look at 2 homes. I know it's a ways from Greenville, but it is so bad to commute from there? I've read where that neighborhood is nice, around Converse College. Does anyone have opinions living in that area of Spartanburg? When I was in high school we had both Furman scholars and scholarships to Converse. It seemed so far away from Myrtle Beach, and now I think all those years later, here I am about to settle there.

Thank you so much!
Susan
I used to commute to Greenville, and from Downtown Spartanburg/Converse Heights to Downtown Greenville it takes about 45-50 minutes with AM traffic, and the same coming back (assuming no backups on 85). Honestly if you have to commute to Greenville, I would look at something on the Westside. It might cut 10-15 minutes from your trip depending on where it is. Spartanburg traffic is not bad, but it can be annoying during rush hour.

Inman does have a good mayor. He wants that town to go somewhere. It would be an interesting place to live if you want to be a part of that change.

Converse Heights is one of the most popular neighborhoods in the city. Its the premier neighborhood of the professional class. They just got added as a Historic District. It has prime access to downtown and the Eastside and Hillcrest. Great schools. Great location. There isn't a bad street in Converse Heights. You may also want to look at the Fernwood neighborhood.

Another neighborhood that is seeing a major comeback is Hampton Heights. Its a great location. Lots of nice, older homes, and they will cut you a deal since the City is working to revive that neighborhood through the Preservation Trust of Spartanburg.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:19 PM

Hi Carolina,

Thanks so much for your reply. I was out of town (home to Myrtle Beach SO many bikers!) and just returned home. I'll check out those two neighborhoods and write more later.

Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_1690 View Post
Lake Emory is a nice neighborhood. Its still being built. There is a pretty wide variety of homes to choose from in terms of price. Nice views accross the lake there. Good access to Inman, Boiling Springs, and Spartanburg. If you can be more specific with questions I will try to answer them!

I used to commute to Greenville, and from Downtown Spartanburg/Converse Heights to Downtown Greenville it takes about 45-50 minutes with AM traffic, and the same coming back (assuming no backups on 85). Honestly if you have to commute to Greenville, I would look at something on the Westside. It might cut 10-15 minutes from your trip depending on where it is. Spartanburg traffic is not bad, but it can be annoying during rush hour.

Inman does have a good mayor. He wants that town to go somewhere. It would be an interesting place to live if you want to be a part of that change.

Converse Heights is one of the most popular neighborhoods in the city. Its the premier neighborhood of the professional class. They just got added as a Historic District. It has prime access to downtown and the Eastside and Hillcrest. Great schools. Great location. There isn't a bad street in Converse Heights. You may also want to look at the Fernwood neighborhood.

Another neighborhood that is seeing a major comeback is Hampton Heights. Its a great location. Lots of nice, older homes, and they will cut you a deal since the City is working to revive that neighborhood through the Preservation Trust of Spartanburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area