Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 PM

23 posts, read 48,361 times

Advertisements

We can't decide which is the best school for my kids? we are finding nice houses in JL Mann high school area, I heard good and bad things about it like drugs ... we will be moving to greenville this summer! so please if anyone has more information to share with me , thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:25 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
If I were you I'd cross Mann off the list. Drugs exist in all of these schools and some maybe more than others. We go to Mauldin; come join us!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM

47 posts, read 127,699 times
Mann doesn't have a drug problem. That would be Southside.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:34 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Of the four options, I would recommend Mauldin, JL Mann, and Riverside. Be sure to visit them in person, or at least contact the school administration before making your decision. You will likely be pleased with either place.

Last edited by Skyliner; 02-21-2010 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Didn't notice Mauldin was an option. Definitely worth a good recommendation.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM

66 posts, read 220,948 times
We live near the Five Forks area and we just moved here this summer and my son attends Mauldin and we love it! When we were checking out the area Mauldin got rave reviews and we are so happy we bought a house in that district. We know some people at Mann and they are not as happy and are trying to get special assignment to Mauldin. Check out www.greatschools.org they will also give you a break down of the schools. Good luck feel free to direct message me if you have any questions I know how overwhelming this can all be like I said we did it this summer. Greenville is fantastic and the people here are the best. Welcome!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM

47 posts, read 127,699 times
J.L. Mann has recently cracked down a lot on everything for "security" measures. From what I understand the new principal is not well liked at all and there is not a lot of freedom. Mauldin would be your best choice.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 AM

156 posts, read 332,315 times
Run far from Riverside if you are worried about drugs. I've heard good things about Eastside.
As I've said before, a great place to get an honest opinion about each school would be to call the local police in that area. They will give you all you need to know.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_gallant View Post
J.L. Mann has recently cracked down a lot on everything for "security" measures. From what I understand the new principal is not well liked at all and there is not a lot of freedom. Mauldin would be your best choice.
I thought high school was about getting an education, not about freedom. As a parent and tax-payer, I find it reassuring to hear that a principal is "cracking down". I want my children in a school that is safe and conducive to learning.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Of the four options, I would recommend Mauldin, JL Mann, and Riverside. Be sure to visit them in person, or at least contact the school administration before making your decision. You will likely be pleased with either place.
I agree that all three of these would be worth a visit.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 AM

49 posts, read 190,634 times
There will be drugs and bad things at all of the schools, fact of life. you will just stress yourself out by trying to decide on the small adv/disadv. of each school.

In general all four schools will be just fine. While there are a few problem schools in greenville (Southside, etc. ) none of the four listed fall into this category. I would select a house in the area that you enjoy most.
That was my middle of road fence sitting answer.

Realistically I would lean towards the Riverside district.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area