Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 PM

7 posts, read 116,821 times

Advertisements

Has anyone worked for Michelin and would like to share your experience? What was the corporate culture like? How about the people and teamwork environment? What did you like or dislike? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 06:36 AM

Okay - it's been two days and not a single response to this original post? Does that mean no one has any idea what its like to work for the third largest employer in Greenville is like? I find that hard to believe. Or, does this question make people uncomfortable to answer? (which would be interesting in its own right.) Come on folks - the good, bad and the ugly - it's all useful to me. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 AM

22 posts, read 81,592 times
Default Michelin

Hi. My husband works for Michelin, and has for 11 years. We think they are great - Vacation, benefits, pay, etc. are all good. Work environment always depends on individual people, but the company philosophy on teamwork is a great business model. They have facilities in Spartanburg, Greenville(Pelham) and Donaldson, as well as Columbia. Depends on what you do. They are one company that does not believe in layoffs, except for temps.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
I used to work for Michelin for more than 12 years - they're a great company, I got to work with bright people. I liked their philosophy - they expect a lot, but in my opinion they take care of employees in terms of compensation, training, and safety. It's a big company, and of course not everyone was happy, but this was a minority of people. It would depend on the position, location, the people, etc.

I ended up leaving for a job opportunity that I couldn't otherwise pass up.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:07 PM

That's great feedback. I'd really like to get a better feel for the culture. If you had to describe Michelin as an animal, what kind of animal would you say and why? In terms of the work space, was it a nice comfortable office to work in, or old and lean without many perks?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:18 AM

156 posts, read 332,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSC!! View Post
That's great feedback. I'd really like to get a better feel for the culture. If you had to describe Michelin as an animal, what kind of animal would you say and why? In terms of the work space, was it a nice comfortable office to work in, or old and lean without many perks?

hmmm.....if you were a tree, what kind would you be and why.....

Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 AM

1 posts, read 9,660 times
Default Isn't Michelin hiring sort of bias?

Thing I don't get about Michelin is how they hire people with zero experience to be leaders and managers. Example, a friend of mine who has worked in manufacturing at a supervisor/manager level for over 6 years applied for a Business Unit Lead posiiton and when she went to her interview, there were several others there as well. Two were previous military and neither had any experience (per their own admission) with any form of manufacturing what-so-ever. One was an acquaintance of my friend and she didn't even know, really, what the job entailed other than Michelin made tires, had good benefits and she'd be a 'boss'...well, my friend did not get hired despite impressive resume, good refernces, education and experiece

well, both military personnel were hired and my friend was not. She was bummed. The thing is, her acquaintance had no real management experience previously and no clue what-so-ever what the job even entailed...no idea what KPI's were or P&L...zero. She had never stepped foot in a manufacturing plant before and had never really lead a team; basically just a few as an office person in the mililtary but that was it...and she was hired as a Business Unit Leader without ever even running a floor, seeing a manufacturing line, understanding how rubber was made or ever really leading a team larger than 3-4 in an office type setting.

Why does Michelin hire this way? If all they want are ex-military maybe they should put "No experience necessary as long as it is says US Military somewhere on your resume"...I mean, it I know we want to support our troops but hiring someone with no experience over someone who has the capacity, ability and knowledge (and a lot more qualifications) to me simply because they were an office person in the military just doesn't make sense. It shows bias on Michelin and really, I don't know if I'd want to work for a company who doesn't even hire based on qualifications...

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 PM

57 posts, read 141,979 times
I worked at both Michelin HNA and the US1 facitlity. Never again!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM

130 posts, read 224,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergyLewis View Post
Thing I don't get about Michelin is how they hire people with zero experience to be leaders and managers. Example, a friend of mine who has worked in manufacturing at a supervisor/manager level for over 6 years applied for a Business Unit Lead posiiton and when she went to her interview, there were several others there as well. Two were previous military and neither had any experience (per their own admission) with any form of manufacturing what-so-ever. One was an acquaintance of my friend and she didn't even know, really, what the job entailed other than Michelin made tires, had good benefits and she'd be a 'boss'...well, my friend did not get hired despite impressive resume, good refernces, education and experiece

well, both military personnel were hired and my friend was not. She was bummed. The thing is, her acquaintance had no real management experience previously and no clue what-so-ever what the job even entailed...no idea what KPI's were or P&L...zero. She had never stepped foot in a manufacturing plant before and had never really lead a team; basically just a few as an office person in the mililtary but that was it...and she was hired as a Business Unit Leader without ever even running a floor, seeing a manufacturing line, understanding how rubber was made or ever really leading a team larger than 3-4 in an office type setting.

Why does Michelin hire this way? If all they want are ex-military maybe they should put "No experience necessary as long as it is says US Military somewhere on your resume"...I mean, it I know we want to support our troops but hiring someone with no experience over someone who has the capacity, ability and knowledge (and a lot more qualifications) to me simply because they were an office person in the military just doesn't make sense. It shows bias on Michelin and really, I don't know if I'd want to work for a company who doesn't even hire based on qualifications...
Hold on one minute . . . you're saying an officer in the military has no experience leading people? Michelin might have learned through past hires that military veterans are easy to train and can quickly learn new trades. I'm sure they hire on qualifications, just different ones than you. And maybe just maybe your friend had a terrible personality, or a personality that didn't mesh with the rest of the management team. I mean lets be honest the thing that can set you apart in an interview is your personality.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Most employees believe young folks with no prior experience, especially if they are military; are easier to mold into what they want. The military shows ability to follow and lead also. No disrespect to your friend. I'm sure she is well qualified and would do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area