Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM

475 posts, read 901,152 times

Advertisements

It was my understanding that after WW2 vets were always given first dibs at jobs. No reason not to do that today. Based on the sacrifice and experience it makes perfect sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM

57 posts, read 142,069 times
Working for Michelin is like purgatory.

Spoiler
Purgatory is a cleansing that involves painful temporal punishment, associated with the idea of fire such as is associated with the idea of the eternal punishment of hell.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,464,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FergyLewis View Post
Thing I don't get about Michelin is how they hire people with zero experience to be leaders and managers. Example, a friend of mine who has worked in manufacturing at a supervisor/manager level for over 6 years applied for a Business Unit Lead posiiton and when she went to her interview, there were several others there as well. Two were previous military and neither had any experience (per their own admission) with any form of manufacturing what-so-ever. One was an acquaintance of my friend and she didn't even know, really, what the job entailed other than Michelin made tires, had good benefits and she'd be a 'boss'...well, my friend did not get hired despite impressive resume, good refernces, education and experiece

well, both military personnel were hired and my friend was not. She was bummed. The thing is, her acquaintance had no real management experience previously and no clue what-so-ever what the job even entailed...no idea what KPI's were or P&L...zero. She had never stepped foot in a manufacturing plant before and had never really lead a team; basically just a few as an office person in the mililtary but that was it...and she was hired as a Business Unit Leader without ever even running a floor, seeing a manufacturing line, understanding how rubber was made or ever really leading a team larger than 3-4 in an office type setting.

Why does Michelin hire this way? If all they want are ex-military maybe they should put "No experience necessary as long as it is says US Military somewhere on your resume"...I mean, it I know we want to support our troops but hiring someone with no experience over someone who has the capacity, ability and knowledge (and a lot more qualifications) to me simply because they were an office person in the military just doesn't make sense. It shows bias on Michelin and really, I don't know if I'd want to work for a company who doesn't even hire based on qualifications...
All big companies do that for entry level management positions. They have training programs and they want you to learn the business their way. Someone who has been in the military in a more extreme way has proven they can learn to be a team player; get through a tough orientation and training programs and have an excellent work ethic. A person in their 20's who may have had beginners luck and a little bit of proven experience who may have come across in an interview like a know it all is probably not going to make first pick for a position like you described. I don't know if that sounds like your friend, but being too impressed with her own qualifications and not asking enough about what is going to be required could have hurt her.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 PM

143 posts, read 207,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Grayce View Post
Working for Michelin is like purgatory.

Spoiler
Purgatory is a cleansing that involves painful temporal punishment, associated with the idea of fire such as is associated with the idea of the eternal punishment of hell.
I hope you've found a different job? I've worked for Michelin for 20 years and while I haven't been 100% happy, I've made the best of it and I've stayed for a reason!

There is definitely a quality culture at Michelin. If you understand that processes and quality are more important than personal goals, then Michelin is the right place for you. No, you won't be RICH, but you will feel like you've made a difference.

And if you get bored in your current position, you can transfer to a different group (truck, passenger, aircraft, earthmover, two-wheel, travel, or lifestyles... the options are abundant!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 PM

22 posts, read 57,652 times
leading in the armed forces is 1 thing private sector another, all about dollars n cents not so in millitary, i would opt not to hire a millitary person with o expierience, if they had a buch sure, otherwise
NO

Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 AM

130 posts, read 224,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast360 View Post
leading in the armed forces is 1 thing private sector another, all about dollars n cents not so in millitary, i would opt not to hire a millitary person with o expierience, if they had a buch sure, otherwise
NO
I don't think you'll be hiring anyone with that grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area