Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times

Advertisements

GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

Great news, but the most interesting reading was about plans that are apparently currently being made to provide for a regional transit system using BRT. I knew BRT would be involved in a line from downtown to CU-ICAR, but they're also talking about linking the main Clemson campus, Furman, and the airport as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:34 PM

98 posts, read 203,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

Great news, but the most interesting reading was about plans that are apparently currently being made to provide for a regional transit system using BRT. I knew BRT would be involved in a line from downtown to CU-ICAR, but they're also talking about linking the main Clemson campus, Furman, and the airport as well!
Interesting read. Would be a big foot forward to have a mass transit system of any sort in this area acting functionally.
Altho the speaker in the article was right, in my opinion. A successful Mass Transit system/implementation requires a more forward thinking process and losing the stigmas /stereotypes of public transportation. Some parts of this area are trying to come to terms with enforcing non-smoking restaurants and the possibilities of selling alcohol on Sundays in some locations, so I won't get my hopes up on this anytime soon.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLtransplant View Post
Interesting read. Would be a big foot forward to have a mass transit system of any sort in this area acting functionally.
Altho the speaker in the article was right, in my opinion. A successful Mass Transit system/implementation requires a more forward thinking process and losing the stigmas /stereotypes of public transportation. Some parts of this area are trying to come to terms with enforcing non-smoking restaurants and the possibilities of selling alcohol on Sundays in some locations, so I won't get my hopes up on this anytime soon.
Believe me, the general populace in this area is very diverse in outlooks, and there are many who would use a system that could get them to/from work or shopping or the airport reliably. This is one of those "chicken or egg" things.

The onus is on the city or Greenlink (or some regional authority that may come after Greenlink) to educate & promote the benefits of using public transit and very real penalties (loss of federal funding due to high ozone levels, watsted engergy & time sitting in traffic, etc.) of not doing so. They need to be creative and persistent.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:03 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
According to this article, Proterra and ICAR officials are discussing the possibility of developing a new large vehicle testing facility on the campus. The article also mentions how successful ICAR has become within a surprisingly short period of time.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 AM

Have they settled on a temporary manufacturing location yet? I thought I'd read that they were to start building buses by May or June..

Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
According to this article, Proterra and ICAR officials are discussing the possibility of developing a new large vehicle testing facility on the campus. The article also mentions how successful ICAR has become within a surprisingly short period of time.
Excellent news. More jobs.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
25 Whitlee Court in Greenville is where Proterra's temporary facility will be located. Google Maps is your friend if you don't know where that is.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Update:

Proterra has moved into their temporarily facility. 30 workers hired so far (most locally) and 4 buses currently on assembly line. First bus to be complete in early-mid October. Construction slated to start on permanent manufacturing facility in fall at ICAR. Context Design Group out of Greenville has been hired to design the plant. Company has also received $20 million in investment capital financing from MK Energy and Infrastructure LLC.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM

I was wondering how all that was going... Thanks!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Excerpts from today's Greenville News article:

Proterra Inc. said Wednesday it plans to make 20 of its battery-powered buses in Greenville in new business made possible by federal grants.

The company said transit agencies in four states will use nearly $27 million from the Federal Transit Administration to buy the zero-emission buses and four charging stations.

Proterra hailed the development as a “major commercial milestone” that accelerates its goal of replacing diesel buses with its own products.

“There’s more on the way,” said Jeff Granato, the company’s chief executive officer. “We can’t say anything more than that, but we definitely have a couple more announcements coming right around the corner.”

Granato said the first Greenville-made bus — an order for the U.S. Army — is scheduled to roll off the assembly line at the end of November.

He said Proterra will likely complete contracts with the transit agencies sometime in the first quarter and start delivering the buses by summer.

Proterra is also working on a contract to sell three buses to a customer in San Antonio, Texas, in a deal made possible by $5 million in federal stimulus money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area