Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:09 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,664,067 times

Advertisements

Extreme budget cuts due to state tax shortfalls may force the welcome centers for South Carolina to be closed if the state cannot find partners to help fund the expense of running them.

Upstate Welcome Centers may be closed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,641,568 times
Bunch of rest areas are closed which is annoying. There was an article in the Aiken Standard - I live in Aiken - that the state is looking to sell a bunch of rest areas and welcome centers. I think this is all very sad. I understand budget cuts, but we need all the tourists we can get!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM

745 posts, read 2,234,707 times
Like people that have borrowed their way into massive debt, so have the various governments- Local, state, and Federal. I don't think most people realize just how bad it's gotten, or how bad it's going to get. Governments always spend every penny they take in, plus a little more. That's why taxes ALWAYS go up. Now suddenly the tax base is shrinking, due to unemployment and dropping real estate values. Our government is not set up for a shrinking tax base. It's going to be painful for all involved. On top of it, some branches of government (who shall remain nameless; don't want to get political here) are STILL SPENDING! Saddest are the millions of people who took government jobs knowing they would always be secure, and have life-long benefits.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,556,115 times
I can see closing some rest areas, but closing welcome centers at the state lines is drastic, and bad for business, tourism, etc. That's a cure that's worse than the disease!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,664,067 times
There is the possibility of some private businesses stepping up to fund them, but most of those are suffering, too. Years ago, the welcome centers seemed like an essential part of a trip. A break from driving with free information on the state. However, with wider access to the internet and more private businesses set up with restroom facilities along interstates, the welcome centers do seem less useful.

What might work is allowing a Subway, Starbucks or fast food place use the property and agree to pay rent that funds some of the maintenance. Sounds like they are trying to get bigger fish (Convention centers, Chambers of Commerce) to pay for the ability to advertise there more, which seems to me less likely.

I do believe we need to keep our budgets balanced. It may come in handy that our future governor, possibly Nicky Haley, has an accounting background.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,841,632 times
I would also like to see some kind of private business helping with the rest areas.

The reason you don't see Subway's or McDonald's (other than toll roads) is that when the Highway Act was passed there were worries that motorists would not take the exits to visit merchants but instead stay on the highway and just use what was at the rest areas. Those restaurants would have a monopoly on the business there.

Maybe it's time to take a new look at that policy.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,847,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
What might work is allowing a Subway, Starbucks or fast food place use the property and agree to pay rent that funds some of the maintenance. Sounds like they are trying to get bigger fish (Convention centers, Chambers of Commerce) to pay for the ability to advertise there more, which seems to me less likely.
I was just thinking that, you don't see too many of those around here, I know they are usually overpriced and busy, but maybe they should look into it....

Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,841,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I was just thinking that, you don't see too many of those around here, I know they are usually overpriced and busy, but maybe they should look into it....
Quote:
States argue that commercializing rest stops would allow them to raise revenues while keeping open rest areas that drivers and long-haul truckers depend on. Communities and businesses located off the interstate that serve highway motorists respond that food and fuel operations at rest stops constitute unfair competition and would cause them significant economic losses.
Should States Be Allowed To Commercialize Highway Rest Stops? - Transportation Experts

Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,847,251 times
I don't get the unfair advantage argument, thats like saying an exit with a newer more convenient off ramp to a gas station has an unfair advantage over a rural exit with a mom and pop stop and go, of course they have an advantage, its common sense, but how is that unfair? if the state needs to do it to keep the welcome centers open I think they should do it

Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,556,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesknowles View Post
i don't get the unfair advantage argument, thats like saying an exit with a newer more convenient off ramp to a gas station has an unfair advantage over a rural exit with a mom and pop stop and go, of course they have an advantage, its common sense, but how is that unfair? If the state needs to do it to keep the welcome centers open i think they should do it
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area