Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 10,126 times

Advertisements

We were on our relocation trip this weekend and I am seriously concerned. Downtown was a madhouse for unruly teenagers saying very inappropriate things to anyone. I did not feel this to be a safe environment for my children. We were almost hit crossing the street. The sign cleared us to walk but the driver came speeding around the corner and flipped us all off. Greenville is my husbands hometown and he is excited about the move. I on the other hand see no positives to this move. I am deeply concerned for my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbacktosc View Post
We were on our relocation trip this weekend and I am seriously concerned. Downtown was a madhouse for unruly teenagers saying very inappropriate things to anyone. I did not feel this to be a safe environment for my children. We were almost hit crossing the street. The sign cleared us to walk but the driver came speeding around the corner and flipped us all off. Greenville is my husbands hometown and he is excited about the move. I on the other hand see no positives to this move. I am deeply concerned for my children.
I see that this is your first post. Welcome to city-data.

A word of caution to you, as a new member. There are a few trolls who seem to be posting here lately, and I would urge you not to listen to them as they obviously have an agenda against Greenville. Look for a low post count, negative comments, and a vague background as to their experience with the city.

We believe that some of these accounts are the same person creating multiple identities in an attempt to scare potential visitors and residents away from Greenville. Pretty childish, huh? Clearly you are not one of these people, but I wanted to warn you about them in case you ran across them.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 AM

207 posts, read 555,905 times
The mall in our area has an ordinance that no one under 18 is allowed without a parent/guardian after 7pm. It seems to be effective, maybe the downtown should back up on the time? 10pm seems pretty late for teens to be out unattended.

And, no, I am not a grumpy old person. I'm barely in my 30s but feel that I should be able to enjoy the downtown area with my family.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 10,126 times
Ddmne - I agree with you 100%! This was my first trip downtown and I wished it had been better. We will try again after our move in a few weeks.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 PM

506 posts, read 1,222,429 times
Quote:
I have been downtown during the day, night, weekday, weekends, etc, at least 75-100 times and can honestly say I've never seen anything like this happen, at all, or anything even close to it.

Sounds like a really unlucky experience with a bad driver who was already really pissed off. Things like this could happen in any city anywhere in the world. I can say though that from what I've seen, it happens a LOT less here than most areas.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry your firsts impression was so bad!

Although I haven't personally witnessed this kind of thing, there have been incidents like this reported on the news, and this was the reasoning for the curfew. If things don't get better, maybe backing the curfew up is a good idea. Sad that it has to be this way, but the things that bring people to this city need to be protected

Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,356 times
Darn kids need to get off my lawn. Back in my day, we didn't have benches to sit on downtown. We walked 5 miles to the post office to mail a letter and we liked it!

We didn't have time to run down the street and holler at the hos and the bros, we had to feed the pigs and cows until sundown and then we spent all night knitting our clothes!

Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Darn kids need to get off my lawn. Back in my day, we didn't have benches to sit on downtown. We walked 5 miles to the post office to mail a letter and we liked it!

We didn't have time to run down the street and holler at the hos and the bros, we had to feed the pigs and cows until sundown and then we spent all night knitting our clothes!
That's nice.... Do you have anything constructive to offer??

Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
...maybe backing the curfew up is a good idea...
Regardless of the time of day or night, minors ("children") should not be out anywhere in public without responsible adult supervision. It is not wise and should not be tolerated by the mature residents in our community.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Sorry you had a bad experience. Whenever a place gets as popular as downtown is becoming, then it attracts everyone. It even attracts some who have no regard for others, but that's apart of growth. I think the solution is to enforce the curfew. Even make it earlier if you have to. When you catch a violator then hit their parents in the pockets with a nice stiff fine! Parents have forgotten their duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area