Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermeetsanend View Post
Hi, recently I have lost a friend who I had dated for less than a year about three years ago. Since we had broken up, our contact was limited. I did see him once or twice since breaking up. About three days before his death, after not speaking with him about a year, we began speaking again. He expressed to me that he was interested in dating me again, and I agreed to see where things would go. Well our "first date" was set for last Thursday evening. Tragically he passed in a motorcycle accident that Thursday morning. I haven't seen him in a year and I'm upset that I never had the chance to see him once more.

I am not sure what is appropriate for me to attend in regard to his funeral. While we were once close, I haven't maintained contact consistently the past few years. The viewing is Wednesday evening. The mass & burial is on Thursday. Would it be inappropriate for me to attend all? Or should I just attend the viewing? I am seeking closure too, but I do not want to offend family. Thank you for your advice.
What it is appropriate to do depends upon how well you knew the family, and what their attitude is toward you, if you know. And you haven't mentioned these things.

While you want closure, you obviously would not want to intrude if there were any reason they had bad feelings toward you. Going to the wake seems appropriate, and for the rest I'd wing it depending upon how comfortable you felt at the wake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:09 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
If you want to attend the viewing and the funeral, then go. If anyone asks how you knew him, you can tell them that you were friends for a few years. No one needs to know that you dated him, that you were out of touch, or that he wanted to date you again and that you had a date for Thursday. Your only goal is to pay your respects and I hope that whatever you do brings you the comfort and closure that you need. I am sure that his family would be honored and comforted to see people who thought highly of their loved one.

However, if there was any drama associated with the end of your first relationship with him or if you did not get along with his family, then I would just send flowers and not attend.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
What it is appropriate to do depends upon how well you knew the family, and what their attitude is toward you, if you know. And you haven't mentioned these things.
Kevxu, the OP said he wasn't close to his family, and she never had the chance to meet them as they lived in another state for the past 12 years.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
I'm so sorry you lost your friend.
I had much the same thing happen to me at the tender age on 17. My ex wanted to get back together but he was killed in an accident a couple days before we could really sit down and talk.

My 2 cents is...go to what you need to go to for your closure. More than likely his family will appreciate having someone that their loved one cared about there to mourn with them.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermeetsanend View Post
Hi, recently I have lost a friend who I had dated for less than a year about three years ago. Since we had broken up, our contact was limited. I did see him once or twice since breaking up. About three days before his death, after not speaking with him about a year, we began speaking again. He expressed to me that he was interested in dating me again, and I agreed to see where things would go. Well our "first date" was set for last Thursday evening. Tragically he passed in a motorcycle accident that Thursday morning. I haven't seen him in a year and I'm upset that I never had the chance to see him once more.

I am not sure what is appropriate for me to attend in regard to his funeral. While we were once close, I haven't maintained contact consistently the past few years. The viewing is Wednesday evening. The mass & burial is on Thursday. Would it be inappropriate for me to attend all? Or should I just attend the viewing? I am seeking closure too, but I do not want to offend family. Thank you for your advice.
One of the people at my father's visitation/wake was a man that I hadn't meet before. He came up and introduced himself as my father's room mate in the hospital 35 years earlier. He said that he happened to notice the obituary and decided to come to tell us how much he enjoyed meeting my father and spending 10 days in the same hospital room listening to my father tell stories and talking with him. He said that he often thought about my father and his "philosophy of living each day to the fullest" and tried to do that in his own life.

It was very nice learning that my father had touched someone's life in that way.

So, even if you hadn't maintained contact with your friend or met his family it is OK for you to attend. If asked all you have to say is that you were a good friend several years ago and express your sadness at his passing.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Wake and mass is fine. Burial & repast has in the past been for family and very close friends so I would not attend either of those.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM

56 posts, read 185,186 times
Thank you all. I was informed that all friends and family are welcome to the funeral and viewing. I will probably go to both, but perhaps not the burial, depending on how things go. I am looking forward to some closure, this past week has been a little rough. It's still unbelievable to me that he is gone and I do take comfort in our conversation shortly before his death. I also find it very coincidental (or maybe its not a coincidence at all!) that he got in touch with me just a couple of days before he died. I'm genuinely happy that he and I have resolved our differences. It's too bad that I'll never have a chance to see anything come of it. Again, I thank you all for your sympathy.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
So sorry for your loss. Please let us know how you make out. If I may ask, who notified you about his passing? I was just wondering if someone is his family was aware that you and he were back in touch. You'll have to play it by ear as to whether to mention it to the family. If I were the young man's mother, I might want to know that you were someone my son was interested in and had reconnected with, just like I would feel comforted by meeting any of his close friends. I would also probably appreciate knowing that my son was happy and looking foward to a fun evening at the time of his passing.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,248 times
I have been dating this guy for about four months and his aunt, whom I've never met has died, should I go to funeral?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Did he ask you to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning