Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times

Advertisements

We have to travel to Chicago and stay 5 nights for Mom's funeral. Has anyone had any luck finding lower rates in any hotel due to a funeral? If so, did you contact the hotel directly or the corporate office? Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
We have to travel to Chicago and stay 5 nights for Mom's funeral. Has anyone had any luck finding lower rates in any hotel due to a funeral? If so, did you contact the hotel directly or the corporate office? Thanks everyone.
I have never tried to get a lower rate due to a death. However, whenever I have tried to get a lower rate, in general, I contacted the hotel directly. Sometimes talking to the manager instead of just a clerk at the front desk works better. Sometimes it worked and I got a slightly lower rate and sometimes it didn't work.

Sorry for your loss.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
When my husband died, I knew people would come from out of town, so I booked six rooms at a local hotel for a bereavement discounted rate for relatives. I would contact the hotel directly and talk with a manager. Corporate never knows what's happening at their hotels on a local level. I'm really sorry about your mom, Barb.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I have been in the hotel industry for about 7 years. Whether a hotel has a bereavement rate or not depends on the specific property.

I recommend contacting the hotel directly and speaking with either the Front Desk or In House Reservations as they are better able to assist you than a 1800 number for reservations.

Oftentimes, bereavement rates aren't listed amongst a hotels 'generic' rate codes (which include things like AAA, Best Flexible, Advanced Purchase, Military, AARP, etc) and the person making the reservation for you will have to put the details in manually although again it depends on the property.

The last hotel I worked at also asked that you provide the name of the funeral home and deceased- not out of disrespect but for verification purposes as the bereavement rate was less than half the 'Rack' rate.

I hope that helps!

My sincere condolences on your loss!

Old 08-22-2012, 04:49 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Barb,

So sorry to hear the loss of your Mom. Prayers for you, travelin' mercies.

Have seen you Post on other Forums and wanted to offer my condolences.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Again, I'm sorry about your loss, Barb. I am interested in hearing what you have decided about the luncheon, as we had quite a discussion about this a month or so ago. Let us know how it all turns out. Thinking of you.... xxxxooo

Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 AM

261 posts, read 497,292 times
the funeral home that handled a relative's funeral recently gave me a lot of stuff about their corporate partners to get discounts on hotels and airfare. It's minimal, like 10-15% but still worth checking if you're not a member of any other reward program. So I'd call the funeral home first to ask them, then you will have to provide a memorial program or maybe another form of proof for the funeral you're attending. I was pretty impressed with this perk.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Just an update to let you all know I was really a mess the whole time. Being an only, no one else made any decisions except me and I had not slept or eaten right for days. The luncheon was not necessary, as not enough of Mom's friends knew she had passed. Unfortunately, I did not call people, and the obituary in 2 papers was late so I just took my kids and their spouses out to Maggiano's for lunch afterwards. I did ask for a bereavement rate at LaQuinta, and got 10percent off, which was the same as my AAA rate !! Am back home now, glad its over.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:49 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Thanks for the update, Barb. Isn't it amazing how things can and will go wrong? I'm glad it is over for you. Now you can start to mourn for Momma. God Bless and be good to yourself.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Thanks Tami. Today I was at Target and immediately thought I better get gum and ensure for Mom. Hope I get over this soon. The memories and recent events are still so painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning