Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times

Advertisements

My full name is on my parents tombstone in east Texas as the youngest of their five children and that is enough memorial for me. I have a family plot in west Texas but plan to be cremated. If there's still anyone around to do it, my ashes are to be thrown into the west Texas spring winds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Burial is a waste of land. It should be for the living. And I don't want my family to have to "visit" me. Remembering is quite enough.
I agree as did my parents and neither wanted a funeral so we had a celebration of their lives instead and everyone had a good time which is what they would have liked. My mom is scattered in several Gardens as she loves gardening.

A friend of mine donated money for a bench at a local park which now has her dad's name on it as he too was cremated and she wanted some spot where she could go and feel close to him thus she has his bench. With my mom my coworkers donated money and asked what they could donate it to in her honor. She loved animals so I told them Best Friends animal santuary so they did just that and there was enough money that a large set of windchimes with her name and a message was put up in Angel's rest where they put the animals that die there to rest . I was sent a photo of the chimes and now everytime I hear wind chimes I think of my mom. I would probably never visit a grave but this way I have a reminder of her where ever I go as you find wind chimes just about everywhere.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Someone could stuff me in a 30-gallon garbage bag and set me out for Monday mornings garbage pick-up for all I care.

If not that, then cremate me and toss my ashes into any one of the Great Lakes.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
A lot of the burial practices come from the teachings that at the end, "we will all arise from out graves and ascend into heaven."

I figure that if they can put together long decayed meat and bones, they can piece together ashes too.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
44 48 08.99 S
167 54 03 E

Where I want my ashes to be flung to the wind.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I cannot bear the thought of being buried in the ground, either for myself or my loved ones. Cremation seems to be the cleanest, most sensible thing.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I know alot of people are choosing Cremation during these hard times. In Florida I read you can have a quick funeral by contacting a funeral home family ran ask just because it uses the name don't be assured. Contact the funeral home and elect a closed casket fast grave side funeral. They go straight from the morgue to the grave site. No embalming since there is no viewing. Services can be held if you wish without a viewing. Then have an afterwards park or house get together with everyone bring a dish. Have a nice framed picture/s of the deceased on the coffin which you can get at Costco's. Go to a church grave yard seems to be cheaper there.
To my understanding the funeral homes are catching on and are upping the prices of the cremations besides it is better this way with the get together.
You could even do a eulogy at a church if you wish right before the body arrives then out side for the funeral then off to the park or someones home for potluck.

Any more suggestions someone might want to add?
Multiple comments and experiences with my relatives and friends.

I've got an Uncle that wants to be cremated because he does not want people to file by the casket looking at him.

I know a young man who's brother died 2 weeks before he was found dead. Open casket impossible.

A funeral home told me they only have X number of hours after death to locate family members. Then they have to act. That won't be a gold plated casket. It will be basic cremation which cost around $1000.

There was a story in our city, about a deceased who was not claimed, and the coroner's office sent it straight to cremation.

A funeral home told me you can do both. Have the funeral home visitation, church service, cemetery service, photos, whatever you want. Once everyone leaves the grave side, the body is returned to the funeral home, taken to cremation and the remains returned to the family members or buried at the cemetery.

I'm choosing cremation.

As far as embalming there are very real stories of people being buried alive.
When my parent passed away, I asked for proof of embalming and I got it.

What does the Bible say about cremation?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
I'm choosing cremation.

Because they can't dump my body in my favorite trout stream.

My ashes will be poured into it along with those of my favorite dogs. (that are also cremated).

Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
As they say you should have your house in order.. pre-plan what every your decisions are. And if you have children and you know the maturity of the child make a what to do list and tuck it away where they know were it is. We have numerous Funeral Homes & Cemeteries that I feel take advantage of the situation and not being clear headed you may make decisions that in a claim state you may not so pre-plan everything. And let the whole family know your wants and needs.
On death certificates most places give you 1-3. I know in Florida a State Official cert is $35.00 each. Most places will make a copy and notarize the copy. So only get what they offer.. some places will push it too 10. You can all ways go back and get more. And now in the digital age they can be filled electronically.. Know your state rules & regulations on Funeral Homes /Cemeteries it will save you loads of anxiety.. and pre-plan !! Do not put it off.. don't say I am 25 I can wait... just do it. pre-plan as time marches on you can change it at future time.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
mod cut - orphaned

When I have gone with friends or relatives to cemeteries, we rarely see any that are older than mid 1800's (birth years). Where are all the graves of the people who died before 1900?

The high rate of cremation these days, may be remotely related to space running out.
Our downtown city cemetery is basically full. They bought a piece of land outside of town and started a new one.

3 graves were found behind my parent's house in the woods. When the street behind that was developed, the City found the graves which had broken stones and the ground was not flat, collapsed.
Ugly scene. They left them there saying they had no authority to re-bury them elsewhere.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-11-2012 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: referral to dot com site previously posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning