Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,674,611 times

Advertisements

If my ex-wife dies no way would I attend her funeral. She dragged my sons into the divorce and they were convinced I destroyed the family, thanks to the lies she told them. I haven't seen them or her in 20 years and have no intentions of seeing them dead.

My wife has had no contact with her ex who she divorced because he was abusive and an alcoholic. Her children asked him to stop drinking so they could have a relationship, he refused. So they haven't seen or heard from him in 30 years. She says "why would I go to see him dead when I couldn't stand to see him alive?'

One thing I'm not is a hypocrite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 01:41 PM

633 posts, read 1,013,648 times
No, life is too short. I have some messed up people in my family... and a few years ago I decided to stop submitting myself to the torture, and cut the ties - family or not, they treated me like absolute crap - I could go on and on... few years ago I stood up and took a step back and then another and another, and when we moved I ceased any contact. Never regretted it. My DH who is kind to every single person on this earth, and always finds good in everyone, supported my decision wholeheartedly.

Any family member who is cruel to you does not deserve your kindness... and why not start distancing when they are alive! Life is too short to subject yourself to that abuse, being mental or physical. Neglecting a relationship is a form of abuse as well, IMHO.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
My donor died about 10 years ago and it was one of the happiest days of my life the other happy days when it came to the donor is the days he went to prison again and the saddest is when he was released.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,227,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
When I was pregnant with my first child, I was with my mother moving my nana out of the old folk's apartment complex down to my parent's house here. My nana started to fight with my mother about something and I piped up from the backseat, "Nana, don't you talk to my Mother like that!" WELL, Nana turns around and says "I hope your baby is born dead." My mother nearly ran off the road. Mom screamed at her but good! My love for that woman died right then and there and I had loved her with all my heart. I went with Mom to Nana's funeral a year and a half later to give Mom support but I never shed a tear and I still haven't, 50 years later. Never will either.
That's a shocking and terrible but also somewhat interesting thing. I suspect that if you loved her previous to that, if she ever seemed not like that mean type of person - then it was probably some sort of dementia or other old age brain malfuction. I've heard this sort of story before. Not the disappearing of alzhemiers but something else, where nice people say the most mean outrageous things when very old. I don't think they know exactly what happens.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,212,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
That's a shocking and terrible but also somewhat interesting thing. I suspect that if you loved her previous to that, if she ever seemed not like that mean type of person - then it was probably some sort of dementia or other old age brain malfuction. I've heard this sort of story before. Not the disappearing of alzhemiers but something else, where nice people say the most mean outrageous things when very old. I don't think they know exactly what happens.
Nana had it in her, Gies, just never directed at me. She was pi$$ at me because prior to what she said to me, she and my mother had been fighting about something and she was getting really nasty with Mom and I told Nana not to talk to my Mother that way. That's when she unloaded on me. Nah, Nana was still in her right mind.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM

20,940 posts, read 28,455,262 times
It hasn't happened to me yet but if and when my uncles Ex wife dies I'll be glad. She was very cruel to my uncle and left him when he became disabled. She was mean to my mother and just a nasty person overall. I never liked her from day one.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,545,969 times
I've been fortunate in life in that I've had no cruel relatives....distance and unmoving yes, but not cruel.

One of the grandfathers was just a man whi we used to visit sometimes...he made no real effort to really know any of us. I helped my Mom settle his affairs for her...not him. My uncle was much the same way.

I nod my head when my Mother says she misses them all but I have not feeling towards them what so ever.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
I didn't mourn when my father died. He was horrible, just horrible to me (physically) and I broke off all contact 27 years ago.

Above said, I do find myself questioning what I could have done differently. These questions usually present at night and make me suffer lack of sleep. But as morning comes, I realize, there is nothing I could have done...and then the roundabout thinking starts again. As in, why did he hate me so? I was broken as a toddler by my father, so I don't know any other way.
You may not realize it, but all of your actions above means you are mourning. I'm sorry.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,855,706 times
My mom is going through end stage cancer right now. She did a lot of things that most sane people would consider downright cruel. Her record for motherhood is a very mixed one, and I always swore that when the time came, I wouldn't look back nor care what happened to her.

This has turned out to be a load of crap. I cried like a baby when I heard her diagnosis and rushed to see her as soon as I was able. Though I have not yet lost her, I am finding that watching her suffer is more than I can bear, and I will absolutely mourn her when she goes. She keeps saying "I did the best I could" and I know that this is her way of acknowledging that she hurt me. I tell her that I know she did-- she was the victim of her own terrible childhood, and she was arrested developmentally somewhere in her youth. She didn't have the maturity to be a good parent.

I mourn her because, no matter what, she was my mom and I love her. I wish I didn't. A lot of my grievances will never be addressed and they are mine to work out now, as an adult in full possesion of her own life. There won't be a Hallmark moment when we come to understand one another. And I turned out okay, despite the abuse I suffered. Apparently, I even turned out to be someone who can forgive a great deal. That's got to be worth something.

Last edited by confusedasusual; 02-11-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,090,820 times
no--not at all--had an abusive relative in my life---no funeral attendance or sympathy towards his family at all---nor have i ever visited his grave-----he and his relatives that knew what he was like needed to deal with God as to his behaviors in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning