Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,579,481 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. Today was better. I was really overwhelmed yesterday. Anniversaries are hard for me. I struggled with my parent's anniversary dates, also. The majority of the time I am moving forward, I just hit a dip in the road sometimes. Thanks for being here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,807,496 times
What a heartbreaking story. My girlfriends son killed himself at 22 and I was with her on his second anniversary. We took her to the beach and kept her as distracted as possible. Nothing can ease the pain except time. Try to stay busy and engaged. A big cyber hug for you.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
I'm sorry you got blindsided. It hits you when you least expect, doesn't it? Crying and venting are not unhealthy ways to roll with it than bottling all that sorrow and emotion when it comes.

I'm so dreading the first anniversary of my spouse's death that I offered to babysit my teenage niece and nephew while their parents go off on a weekend trip. My sister thought I was nuts for offering, but it's hard to mope and be sad when those crazy kids are around. They'll be just what I need; I sit around and cry all alone enough as it is.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:02 PM

25 posts, read 34,168 times
Marcy, I can't imagine what that must feel like and how you must miss your husband...actually I have imagined it, because my husband and I are close like that. However, I don't "know" how you are feeling, but I hope you will find comfort here with those who do. Even for those who don't share the same experiences, we still care. I will pray for you a peaceful heart.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,425,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm so dreading the first anniversary of my spouse's death that I offered to babysit my teenage niece and nephew while their parents go off on a weekend trip. My sister thought I was nuts for offering, but it's hard to mope and be sad when those crazy kids are around. They'll be just what I need; I sit around and cry all alone enough as it is.
Many people find that the time leading up to the anniversary is often worse than the actual day itself.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times
{{{{{HUGS}}}}} It is never easy. It has been almost 10 years for me and yet at times it seems like just yesterday. I dread the holidays too since we were married on Christmas Eve. You know you have those traditions and we use to have a glass of Kahula and sleep in front of the fireplace next to the Xmas tree.

I don't even put up a tree, it is no fun to put one up by yourself.

It does get better but those certain days will always bring back memories

Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM

261 posts, read 497,621 times
wow, I wish the corporate world were as kind and warm as you all. {hugs}

Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 AM

768 posts, read 719,509 times
Marcy~ I'm so sorry you have to live such a day over and over. I'm glad you told us. I think it helps to write about it. It sounds as though you and your husband had a wonderfully warm and loving relationship! Those memories will live on as well. My heart goes out to you and to the others here who have lost loved ones too.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:54 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times
I agree writing about it helps especially with caring strangers. We aren't going to judge you as we all have experienced the loss of a love one.

I also found helping others who are going through some of the things I went through also helped me knowing I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

There are some good books that helped me too.
I wasn't ready to say goodbye
The Grief Recovery handbook.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,579,481 times
Keeper, "I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye", along with "Widow to Widow" were my "go to" books every day for the first year and a half. They are so worn and dog eared from constantly reading and re-reading them. I wrote a lot for the first year as well. I did it all on the computer and kept it in a Word document that I look at once and a while. I really see my evolution as time goes by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning