Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times

Advertisements

If cremation was not an option I would want to be buried in my yoga pants and v-neck tee shirt. That's just how I roll!

Many years ago my sisters and I were at the funeral home making final arrangements for our Mom. We were standing in this hallway near the entrance and looking in a window display (just like at a department store) of mannikins dressed in "final attire" you could buy for your loved one. I suppose it opened down the back for ease in dressing. Anyway, we are standing there looking at these really hideous clothes, nothing like what our Mom would wear, and one Sis says "Man, Mom wouldn't be caught dead in that." We all three looked at each other and then burst out laughing. The whole rest of the meeting with the funeral director was hopeless. We kept bursting into laughter at the most inappropriate times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
My husband would haunt me forever if I made him wear a tie this one last time.

He wants his Miami Dolphin jersey and he'll get it.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
I have left specific orders with the people to whom I belong that I not be buried in the uncomfortable, unnecessary and non-tax-deductible obscenity called a business suit!

Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
I am not going to be buried so it does not really matter however, I have left instructions that at the wake I am to be in my favorite jammies WITHOUT shoes or slippers and a fresh pack of smokes and my favorite zippo lighter with me. Then I am going to be cremated and tossed anywhere but the Ocean, I am absolutely afraid of the water.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
I agree, your husband's wishes should be followed, and people who know him should understand. I just buried my Mom. On her last visit, she had left her favorite light pink sweater set with me, saying that at least I'd have it to lay her out in if she died. So that's what she was in, and she looked gorgeous. She was very petite, so a dark or bright color would have looked overwhelming. I also coordinated the casket flowers to blend with the pink. I put her in dark pants but the blanket covered most of it, which was good because the pants were big for her.

As for me, I don't even want a service at this point. I am funeral-ed out.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:02 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Well, then I want a Mermaid costume - a really good one - with the tail hanging out of the end of the casket during 'visitation'.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Most of the time when you go to funerals the deceased is dressed in a suit and tie (man) or in a dress (woman) but how would you feel if they chose a different attire? When my husband dies someday he wants to wear a black T-shirt and jeans. I see nothing wrong with it because my husband was not a suit and tie guy either. Do you think is disrespectful or tacky? What would you want to wear for your funeral? I would choose dress pants and a nice shirt but that's me. I really don't wear dresses all that much.
I intend to be cremated to the dressing part is irrelevant. Otherwise I don't think it matters a rap what a person is buried in. Good grief, it's a corpse, not a Christmas present!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Well, then I want a Mermaid costume - a really good one - with the tail hanging out of the end of the casket during 'visitation'.
Now that is hysterical, Gloria!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Most of the time when you go to funerals the deceased is dressed in a suit and tie (man) or in a dress (woman) but how would you feel if they chose a different attire? When my husband dies someday he wants to wear a black T-shirt and jeans. I see nothing wrong with it because my husband was not a suit and tie guy either. Do you think is disrespectful or tacky? What would you want to wear for your funeral? I would choose dress pants and a nice shirt but that's me. I really don't wear dresses all that much.
You bring up a good point. I would imagine most people don't think about what they will be dressed in. You should wear what you want and who cares what anyone else thinks...they can choose what they want to wear when they die. That's the problem with too many people. They want to make choices for others.

Maybe we should go out the same way we came in...naked Imagine the stir that would cause, lol.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:23 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
I had a friend that was buried in his Santa costume. He was the best Santa ever and actually had that twinkle in his eye. My husbands coworker was buried in his uniform. We intend to be cremated with our ashes scattered in the Bahamas with our pets in the garden where we had our honeymoon. There will be no wake but an informal party at my house with videos, pictures and funny stories. No tears please, just fond memories, good food, and lots to drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning