Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:08 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Then again...why waste good clothes. Really just to burn them
Mainly because bodies creep me out and I seriously do not ever want to knowingly wear something that was previously put on a dead body. Spirits I have no problem with at all but a dead body.......blech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
I don't get the whole open casket thing in the first place. That said, I wouldn't care how anyone wished to be dressed or undressed regardless of whether there'd be an open casket.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I don't get the whole open casket thing in the first place. That said, I wouldn't care how anyone wished to be dressed or undressed regardless of whether there'd be an open casket.
I think it's for people to see the dead person one last time, toos. I don't know how it started but I think that is the reason for open casket.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
My mom wanted to be buried in a comfortable bathrobe. She said she did not like to dress up in life, and she didn't want to be dressed up in death, either. We found a comfortable pink bathrobe and house slippers to bury her in.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I think it's for people to see the dead person one last time, toos. I don't know how it started but I think that is the reason for open casket.
There is a story I read or heard about the phrase "You're going to wake the dead" which supposedly started many many years ago when people would sit with someone who had "died" from the moment they died until the burial because some people hadn't actually died and some would sit up in their coffins hence the reason the coffin was left open until burial. I honestly don't know how true that is and have not researched it but I'm glad I was not part of that era......ewe

Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 13,540 times
If it's his or her will, then it doesn't matter what I think. Only thing that matters is if you are respecting the will. And the clothes doesn't matter to me at all, it's not a living thing, on the other hand it's personal item of someone that I'll miss so much, something that belongs to her or him, it's only logical that I bury him or her in it. Plus it doesn't matter what does the person wear, the person is dead, it's no shame to wear t-shirt and trousers, on the contrary it's a good and brave thing for the deceased, to not be ashamed, hypocritic to show who he or she was and that you respect that, that you love that...

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Dying is one of the few totally personal choices that is left to anyone these days. If someone wants to be buried naked, in a clowns suit or any way they wish... that is their choice and ONLY their choice.

I can't imagine anyone having an opinion on this issue because it's no one's decision except the deceased person.
Well, many people die before they expect it and don't express any opinion on their burial garb. My late wife and I talked a little about dying, funerals, etc., but she died unexpectedly at age 51, so that hadn't been discussed. I did know she didn't want a fancy casket, ("Put me in a cardboard box.") and I knew she wanted to be cremated, and that she didn't want an open casket. Her daughters picked a new dress from her closet, one that she hadn't yet worn. And we gave the undertaker a pack of her cigarettes to put in the casket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I just don't like the idea of an open casket. I'd rather people remember me being alive than stretched out in a coffin. My late wife felt the same way, so her's was closed. A few people wanted to see her. "I can't believe she's dead." One even went to the funeral home and tried to talk the funeral director into letting her view my late wife. He told her she'd have to get permission from me. Nope. Sorry.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Dying is one of the few totally personal choices that is left to anyone these days. If someone wants to be buried naked, in a clowns suit or any way they wish... that is their choice and ONLY their choice.

I can't imagine anyone having an opinion on this issue because it's no one's decision except the deceased person.
Basically how I feel^.

Another person pointed out that the deceased may not have conveyed their wishes ahead of time, then someone else will have to make a judgment call.
However, so long as someone is capable of expressing a preference for how they want to be attired, then I think that should be allowed (and to with "propriety/tradition/formality").

It's just my personal opinion that once someone is dead, there isn't anything more that can be done for the deceased.
Spending money on the corpse seems-to me-a waste of resources (which could be used to help the living).
Am not quarreling, quibbling with (dissing) what anyone else has chosen to do for their deceased loved ones.

I don't like to consider my own death-though, once I'm "gone", I want my body to be disposed of as cheaply/naturally/simply as possible.
Don't spend money dressing me (or my box) up-soon enough, I'll be ash or dirt anyway.
No offense intended to other people's belief system or priorities, these are merely mine.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
When my father died, he had a pair new pajamas, so, that's what he wore. I added the cap he wore when it was cold. No one saw him anyway, because it was a closed casket. My main concern when it is my turn, is for as little as possible to be spent. I used to tell my children to have a taxidermist preserve me in a sitting pose and for them to take turns having me sit in their living room.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
This may seem odd, but after going to funeral after funeral that have lovely services, but do not do much to celebrate the person passing in a way that I can recognize that person, I have taken to planning my funeral service. I started with music - and i have been thinking about what to be buried in - and I decided comfy pajamas. Why the hell not? Death is that final journey, choice, way to show respect - send them home in the manner that is individual and appropriate for that person - not what others think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning