Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 AM

20,998 posts, read 28,570,050 times

Advertisements

Most of the time when you go to funerals the deceased is dressed in a suit and tie (man) or in a dress (woman) but how would you feel if they chose a different attire? When my husband dies someday he wants to wear a black T-shirt and jeans. I see nothing wrong with it because my husband was not a suit and tie guy either. Do you think is disrespectful or tacky? What would you want to wear for your funeral? I would choose dress pants and a nice shirt but that's me. I really don't wear dresses all that much.

Last edited by lubby; 10-15-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,664,816 times
I would want to wear a flannel nightgown.
People should wear what they want-who cares? Not me.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I would want to wear a flannel nightgown.
People should wear what they want-who cares? Not me.
You are absolutely right.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,422,671 times
A suit/dress are the obvious traditional choices but if a person makes a specific request to be dressed in something different, their wishes should certainly be honored.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,262,071 times
I wouldn't care what the deceased was wearing. I think most people have one "good set of clothes" and it is just tradition to be sent off in them. I sent my dad off in his "funeral attire" to his own. I can't remember what I sent mom off in and there was no wake for hubby so I had to give away his suit.

Like GPC said, if there are specific instructions as how to dress the person, those instructions should be met.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,588,578 times
Well, having lost both my parents I can truthfully say they never discussed what they would want to wear while lying in their casket. Both of them were down to earth, plain, hardworking people who never put on airs and were not "into" clothing trends, per se. If it fit, was clean, and comfortable - it met all the criteria they set forth. Neither one "dressed up" although when they went to church Mom would put on a dress, and Dad a suit and tie - but that was not their usual "look". When the time was nigh, clothing was the furthest thing from any of our minds - we were busy saying goodbye, I love yous', making sure they were comfortable and enjoying every moment we had left to drink in their faces, voices, and just ingrain them on our souls as much as possible. Neither expressed a desire for anything special, so when Mom died we buried her in a pair of slacks and I chose her favorite red sweater. It was her favorite color, and always made her feel pretty - and she looked beautiful. Dad usually favored casual slacks and a plaid shirt with long sleeves. We picked out a pair of his slacks and paired it with his favorite plaid shirt, in green, his favorite color. It suited us kids, we thought it would have suited them, and so it was done. I personally don't think it matters one iota what you are wearing - people are not going to notice or remember, and if they do - what should one care at that point?

Old 10-15-2012, 03:48 PM

25 posts, read 34,297 times
When my dad died, he was dressed in his nice golf shirt, golfing slacks and his golf hat was in his hands. He was an avid golfer (was even cremated with his putter) and always looked nice on the the course, so I can't imagine him wearing anything but his golf attire. He even asked the pall bearers to wear their nice golf shirts and all the men he had ever played with to also wear the same and then follow the casket out for the "last walk." It was beautiful for me and my family to see well over 50 men following my dad's last wishes.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,300,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Most of the time when you go to funerals the deceased is dressed in a suit and tie (man) or in a dress (woman) but how would you feel if they chose a different attire? When my husband dies someday he wants to wear a black T-shirt and jeans. I see nothing wrong with it because my husband was not a suit and tie guy either. Do you think is disrespectful or tacky? What would you want to wear for your funeral? I would choose dress pants and a nice shirt but that's me. I really don't wear dresses all that much.
Bury him in what he wants. Who cares what others think...obviously if they knew him they'd know it was what he wore. There are too many things to stress over when we loose a loved one....Don't let attire be one of them.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,422,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkilgore View Post
He even asked the pall bearers to wear their nice golf shirts and all the men he had ever played with to also wear the same and then follow the casket out for the "last walk." It was beautiful for me and my family to see well over 50 men following my dad's last wishes.
How sweet, I tear up just envisioning that.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM

I posted this because I know someone who had an issue with this. They think suit and tie is more appropriate and I was thinking of that today. I agree with everyone. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning