Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you like to be buried naked?
Yes, Cann't wait. 13 24.07%
No way. 33 61.11%
Maybe 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times

Advertisements

"Buried naked" makes as much sense as having the body on display in a casket for all to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,801 times
What good does clothes do for a dead person. ...

What are you doing to do when the clothes go out of style ...
dig them up and lavish them with the latest fasions ? ? ? ... .

Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
It's Jewish tradition, when buried in a casket, to be unclothed. Open caskets and viewings aren't part of the Jewish tradition.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:35 PM

192 posts, read 298,241 times
If he/she wants to. If its someone else, no.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:13 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've just been told that a woman was buried in the nude because she said when she was alive she was born naked and wanted to die naked. I have a friend that works in a funeral home and they told me this the other day. I like clothes so I would never like this.
Well, my mom wanted to be buried in a comfortable robe. She said she didn't like to dress up in life, and she didn't want to dress up in death. She wanted a comfortable bathrobe. So that's what she was buried in. If someone wants to be naked, why not?

Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 PM

225 posts, read 344,533 times
I am a firm believer that a dying person's wishes should be honored. I watched my mother through the last 6 months of her life, and found her to have lost her dignity and her modesty, as well as her disease lingering and allowing her to suffer, which she made absolutely clear she did not want to do.

Unfortunately, as I realized first-hand, for people who sign Advance Directives and Living Wills, etc. which allows them to refuse death-delaying treatment, there is nothing to keep them from suffering. In fact, my mother lingered another WEEK after we stopped food and water, hoping she'd pass quickly, as she'd wished.

If she had requested to be buried naked, that's what we would have done. No sheet; nothing. It would have been her request. For someone else to "re-interpret" her wishes (i.e. cover her with a sheet and remove it before burial) is cruel & unusual punishment, in my opinion.

For someone who doesn't want to remember this as their last "memory," I am supposing you have the right not to view the casket or not to attend the calling hours. The burial does not require a viewing.

Lastly, unless I missed this somewhere in the post(s), I don't believe you mentioned whether this was an open or closed casket situation. Not that it matters, it's just something that just occurred to me.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
If a loved one ask to be buried naked, then you bury them naked. It's quite simple.

Normally a casket can be split in two, hence you will only see her boobs. Also it is only the closest family who get to see her in the casket. During the ceremony the casket is closed.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
Weird

Old 10-17-2012, 07:16 AM

261 posts, read 497,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I apologize - I apparently didn't notice or it just didn't register when I saw the thread. Sometimes I just have my head up my butt - sorry, did not mean to offend.
not offensive at all. In fact I got a really hearty laugh from reading it.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
It's Jewish tradition, when buried in a casket, to be unclothed. Open caskets and viewings aren't part of the Jewish tradition.
I did not know that, toos! Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
If a loved one ask to be buried naked, then you bury them naked. It's quite simple.

Normally a casket can be split in two, hence you will only see her boobs. Also it is only the closest family who get to see her in the casket. During the ceremony the casket is closed.
No true if you have visitation hours. Everyone who comes would see her/him like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning