Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you like to be buried naked?
Yes, Cann't wait. 13 24.07%
No way. 33 61.11%
Maybe 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I did not know that, toos! Thanks for the info.
Ya that's partly why I said in the other thread that I don't get the open casket idea. I understand that it's so people can have one last look - I just can't relate, nor do I share that impulse. There's a lot about birth/marriage/death traditions that sort of creep me out - or that just haven't adapted for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No true if you have visitation hours. Everyone who comes would see her/him like that.
Absolutely. I've been to services where they had pictures and items of the deceased's on and in the casket - and people took pictures of themselves with the deceased. Since you now know that I think a plain ol open casket is unsettling - you can just imagine how I felt about all those extras!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ya that's partly why I said in the other thread that I don't get the open casket idea. I understand that it's so people can have one last look - I just can't relate, nor do I share that impulse. ...
Here's one reason. My BIL died young of a stroke, while in the bathtub. He had a closed-casket funeral. Many years later, one of my nieces told me she wished they had let her look at him in his casket, anyway. Having never seen for herself that he had died, she was haunted by an (aknowledgely useless) hope that it was all a mistake and he was still alive.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Here's one reason. My BIL died young of a stroke, while in the bathtub. He had a closed-casket funeral. Many years later, one of my nieces told me she wished they had let her look at him in his casket, anyway. Having never seen for herself that he had died, she was haunted by an (aknowledgely useless) hope that it was all a mistake and he was still alive.
Yes, and if she had had that last glimpse, there is a good chance that the first thing that she would remember about him was what he looked like in that casket. Thinking about him and remembering what he looked like in real life gives her a much better memory. Maybe one day, she will be able to accept that.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've just been told that a woman was buried in the nude because she said when she was alive she was born naked and wanted to die naked. I have a friend that works in a funeral home and they told me this the other day. I like clothes so I would never like this.
I don't see a problem. If there's a viewing, there will obviously be something covering the person and there will be no one else in that box with her when she's lowered into the ground.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Yes, and if she had had that last glimpse, there is a good chance that the first thing that she would remember about him was what he looked like in that casket. Thinking about him and remembering what he looked like in real life gives her a much better memory. Maybe one day, she will be able to accept that.
I don't seem to get jolted by bodies in a casket. I never remember what they looked like while in there! I always remember that person as they were when they were alive.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
I did not vote because I will be cremated.
Why would this bother any surviving friend or family member of the deceased in question?
People still attempt to impose their opinions and belief systems upon those even in death when those have a final wish that is somehow considered "strange".

Let the body be naked, not be naked, dressed as a clown, dressed like a fairy princess, whatever. Just honor what the deceased asked for.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
I have never heard of anyone wanting to be buried naked.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Quote:
People still attempt to impose their opinions and belief systems upon those even in death when those have a final wish that is somehow considered "strange".
Thank you. I said the exact same thing (with different wording) earlier in this thread. It blows me away that some people are so unbelievably judgmental as to give one damn what a dying person requests for their funeral. It's no one's business. NO ONE'S.

Whatever anyone wants for their services, let it alone. If they want to be buried naked, more power to them. If they want to be buried with Let Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love blaring from the speakers, if they want a stack of Hustler magazines laying on top of them in their coffin.. why is it anyone's business except the deceased??? I can't fathom anything as private or as individual as the curcumstances arounds ones own burial.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 AM

7 posts, read 8,840 times
Default Going to the grave Nude

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I've just been told that a woman was buried in the nude because she said when she was alive she was born naked and wanted to die naked. I have a friend that works in a funeral home and they told me this the other day. I like clothes so I would never like this.

I've been waiting for this kind of post.. I think its the right way to go back.. After all people we didn't come here to earth in clothing.. Were never coming back once we Die. Were going to our eternal sleep. I really don't see the need in clothing.. I think its only natural to go to our eternal sleep natural or nude..

Far as the viewing if your that paranoid about it, like someone said have a sheet put over them until they close it.. However we all know what each other have. However I am respectful but at the same time wonder why people get so paranoid over the body. Dead or alive seeing someone nude.

Anyway getting back to the subject. I think its a very good idea & why not give all your clothing to your local place that will give it too the poor.. They'd get more use of it than the person who died & gone to there eternal rest..

Old 12-04-2013, 05:46 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but the wish was to be buried nude. That doesn't necessarily mean being publicly viewed nude during the "visitation" period or open-casket funeral service.

How would I feel about it - the original question - I couldn't care less. I'm going to be cremated and I doubt I'll be turned into a crispy critter while clothed so what's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning