Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 AM

31 posts, read 34,278 times

Advertisements

This article is not necessarily about bereavement but it definitely shows that social support goes a long way.
https://www.psychologicalscience.org...iterally-hurts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 10:34 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter-2 View Post
This article is not necessarily about bereavement but it definitely shows that social support goes a long way.
https://www.psychologicalscience.org...iterally-hurts
That's quite true. After my father died, my mother became diabetic, hypertensive, her arthritis kicked into high gear, and she acquired IBS and lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance? Stress and loneliness are killers. She was a mess for a few years. I managed to drag her kicking and crying through it. I made her go to a grief therapist; she'd been threatening to end her life. I told her I'd have her declared mentally incompetent if she didn't go. She believed me. I think it had something to do with my eyeglasses and countenance. She wasn't going on my watch.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 776 times
I think it’s ok to feel offended. No more birthday cards for people who can't even acknowledge the death of a loved one. As for the cousin who was loving to your mother in her lifetime, I would let her know how much she’s upset you. That way you two can hopefully have conversation afterwards as a result which might help both of you heal and get closer. Not expressing to someone how much they’ve hurt you is really dishonest to yourself and them and no progress can be made.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:11 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
When my brother died on jan 18 2014 one of his best friends did not say anything or send anything . His mother told me that he was aware that my brother had died but he did not know what to say . So he left it alone . I chalk it up to surprise and sadness .

Old 06-18-2020, 12:03 AM

86 posts, read 37,011 times
Honestly, every "Condolence" I received was just another dagger into my heart when my wife of 20+ years passed. I didn't advertise her passing and wasn't looking for acknowledgement of it. The bits o' mail I still get in her name still hurts.

I'll personally never send one myself because of how all the ones I received made me feel.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:10 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskjold View Post
Honestly, every "Condolence" I received was just another dagger into my heart when my wife of 20+ years passed. I didn't advertise her passing and wasn't looking for acknowledgement of it. The bits o' mail I still get in her name still hurts.

I'll personally never send one myself because of how all the ones I received made me feel.
You better get used to the mail. Some will be coming in her name the rest of your life.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:23 PM

936 posts, read 823,826 times
Families can really ********* up.

I have an aunt (my mother's little sister) who has been estranged from the family since about 1982. This is by her choice. This aunt chose to wash her hands of all of us.

In 2010 her mother died. We contacted this aunt and told her that grandma had died, even though she had not spoken to her own mother in about 30 years. She said: "OK. Thanks for telling me." That's the last we heard from her. She didn't bother to attend her own mother's funeral or reach out to any family members.

The only thing that really peeves me about this is that the biitch cashed her inheritance check. My mother decided not to be as petty as her sister. When the lawyer settled grandma's estate mom made sure her crazy sister got her share of everything. She got it without even calling to say "thank you" for a nice little bundle of money.

A few years later my father died in 2017. This same aunt never called or sent a card or anything. It's like we don't exist. It's all a mystery because we never did a damn thing to her. But I have been in contact with her children (my cousins) through Facebook. They're estranged from her too. They don't speak to their own mother.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:57 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You better get used to the mail. Some will be coming in her name the rest of your life.
Still get mail for my In-laws. They have been gone for many years. They would be over 100 years old.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:58 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
In my early 20s, I had a group of six or eight friends with whom I spent a lot of time. I helped them move. Let them sleep on my couch. Fed them when they were short a few bucks. Literally saw them every weekend.

Then my father unexpectedly slipped into a coma and died a week later. Not a word from any of them. They weren't at the funeral.

A week or so later, one of them called me about the coming weekend. "Heard your dad died. Drag."

I immediately wrote them out of my life and started looking for a better quality of friends. Mind you, I didn't expect them to be at my side throughout the ordeal. But a call, a drop-in, an appearance at the funeral might have been nice.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:26 AM

410 posts, read 343,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In my early 20s, I had a group of six or eight friends with whom I spent a lot of time. I helped them move. Let them sleep on my couch. Fed them when they were short a few bucks. Literally saw them every weekend.

Then my father unexpectedly slipped into a coma and died a week later. Not a word from any of them. They weren't at the funeral.

A week or so later, one of them called me about the coming weekend. "Heard your dad died. Drag."

I immediately wrote them out of my life and started looking for a better quality of friends. Mind you, I didn't expect them to be at my side throughout the ordeal. But a call, a drop-in, an appearance at the funeral might have been nice.

This. I got the same response from 2 friends I had known for over 20 years when my dad died a few years ago. I was immediately done with them. Good friends show up. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning