Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 06:51 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

My best friend from childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I just wanted to know if any of you experienced anything like this when you lost a loved one:

My Mom died in Feb. I'm an only child but have a ton of cousins. One cousin lives cross-country, but she was always very solicitous of my Mom, even coming to stay with her for a week when she was sick and I couldn't be there, sending her flowers occasionally, etc. However....I did not hear one word from her when my Mom died. When I posted on FB that my Mom was gravely ill, she commented "Nooooo!". After that, I heard nothing. No call, no sympathy card, not even a FB message....nothing. I thought maybe she was just in denial, so despite not hearing from her, I sent her the "funeral packet" (obituary, Mass booklet, holy card, eulogy). No acknowledgement. Weird, huh?

I have a friend whom I don't see much anymore, but we usually send each other birthday cards and catch up by phone maybe once a year or so. I texted her when my Mom died. No response. A few months later, I sent her a birthday card and mentioned that my Mom had died -- nothing. I know she knows, because she told another friend, who promptly sent me a sympathy card. Am I right to feel offended? I'm thinking no more birthday cards for her, if she can't even acknowledge the death of my mother.

I am the type of person who calls, visits, attends funerals, sends cards, etc. I can't imagine why these two have not contacted me at all, other than perhaps they have a really hard time dealing with death. However, it still ticks me off. Anyone else have this type of experience?
I would let it go, people are really weird about death and some don't know how to react. If it's to the point where it bothers you ask them why they didn't respond to your mom's death and see what they have to say.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
My uncle passed away 5 days ago.. my future daughter-n-law did not call me nor send me a text message about my loss
I am very upset about it, but I do not want to argue. Do I approach her and ask her why or I just let it go.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:00 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April16 View Post
My uncle passed away 5 days ago.. my future daughter-n-law did not call me nor send me a text message about my loss
I am very upset about it, but I do not want to argue. Do I approach her and ask her why or I just let it go.
I have never sent condolences or even mentioned it when someone's uncle died. Parents, children, or siblings is where it ends for most people.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I would let it go, people are really weird about death and some don't know how to react. If it's to the point where it bothers you ask them why they didn't respond to your mom's death and see what they have to say.
Please, don't know how to react? You say you're sorry. I could understand a young person to a certain extent who may experience the loss of someone they know for the first time.

But people in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. Give me a break.

To not respond back to someone who sends a message saying their mother died?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
My father passed a year or so ago. Two Best friends I grew up with didn't say a word, not one condolence. Neither one of these pricks grew up around their dads, and my dad was always good to them. All through the mid to late 70's, 80's, early 90's...they were a fixture at my house, at parties, barbq's...even into adulthood when we didn't see much of each other, they were at my parents house every Christmas eve party.

Not one word...nothing on facebook...silence...

will never forgive this

Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I know there are some people who are thoughtless, inconsiderate, etc., and don't care that someone they know lost a loved one. There are people who never developed the ability to empathize with others. There are also people who don't like the subject of death, and are really great at denial, and simply "forget" the whole thing. (I personally know a few MASTERS at denial.) There are many psychological mindsets that could result in someone not responding appropriately to learning of the death. This doesn't excuse the behavior; of course, it is borish. But to be angry and offended just wastes the energy of the person who is mourning. Isn't being slighted by that person a small hurt compared to the hurt of losing someone you love? Anger is not "caused" by others. It is reaction we can control by how we frame the situation. I would choose to not let that person negatively affect my life and my process of mourning. Realize that you can't control other people, and get past it. Life is hard enough without holding onto those hurts.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
My father passed a year or so ago. Two Best friends I grew up with didn't say a word, not one condolence. Neither one of these pricks grew up around their dads, and my dad was always good to them. All through the mid to late 70's, 80's, early 90's...they were a fixture at my house, at parties, barbq's...even into adulthood when we didn't see much of each other, they were at my parents house every Christmas eve party.

Not one word...nothing on facebook...silence...

will never forgive this
I'm sorry that happened to you. Your dad sounds like he was a great man. Sounds like he was a father figure to them

They're dolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I know there are some people who are thoughtless, inconsiderate, etc., and don't care that someone they know lost a loved one. There are people who never developed the ability to empathize with others. There are also people who don't like the subject of death, and are really great at denial, and simply "forget" the whole thing. (I personally know a few MASTERS at denial.) There are many psychological mindsets that could result in someone not responding appropriately to learning of the death. This doesn't excuse the behavior; of course, it is borish. But to be angry and offended just wastes the energy of the person who is mourning. Isn't being slighted by that person a small hurt compared to the hurt of losing someone you love? Anger is not "caused" by others. It is reaction we can control by how we frame the situation. I would choose to not let that person negatively affect my life and my process of mourning. Realize that you can't control other people, and get past it. Life is hard enough without holding onto those hurts.
Who likes the subject of death?

It's the same nonsense about "I don't like hospitals", who likes hospitals? Other than the people who work there and get paid. Certainly not the person who is in the hospital.

The poster above has a reason to be hurt, should you let it eat up inside, absolutely not. But that doesn't mean you just forget about it either.

It's hard to feel the same about people who aren't there for you when you have known them a long time.

It's no different than if someone stole from you, or breached your trust, or if you got laid off and a friend who could have helped you network or assist in getting you interviews did nothing.

Maya Angelou said "when people show themselves to you, believe them". If you see behavior you don't like you don't have to accept it.

Sometimes you need to do some housecleaning, and many times it is after a traumatic event. You see who has your back and who doesn't. And it's not always the people you think it will be.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:02 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Of course, I didn't mean that not liking the subject of death was an excuse. I was trying to say, perhaps poorly, that some people will deny the existence of death so completely that they don't respond appropriately when they hear of a death or impending death. A case in point: my sister in law loved her brother very much, but when I called, in tears, to tell her that her brother (my husband ) was dying, she said "oh, don't worry, he'll beat it" and changed the subject, as though there was no problem.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:30 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
My experience went both ways. Some I did not expect condolences from gave them and I was nicely surprised. Some I expect condolences from did not but I do not begrudge them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning