Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,180 times

Advertisements

Wow, so much has happened today. Just when I thought I had my new holiday traditions figured out, a wrench gets thrown into things. That's okay. I like to look at it as a reason to make my new traditions even better. With a little finagling, I'll make it work.

So, the new tradition beginning this year since the loss of my family consists of:

1. for the first time, me hosting and cooking Thanksgiving (vegan and traditional - that's a lot of food! ) around 12ish for the family that remains, but for which I'm not that close with (hopefully, with time, that will change).

2. Then, around 5ish, I'll join the girls and their S.O.s, a couple sons, and everyone's dogs for a Thanksgiving at my girlfriend's house.

Nothing can take the place of my family that has passed, but I'm hoping this new tradition will grow on me.

What new traditions are you beginning this year, or did you begin after losing a loved one(s)? What do you like about your new tradition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
My new tradition is trying to convince myself that I'm happy with no one to cook or buy presents for. No use getting myself upset that it will be lonely but it's reality and I need to accept the cold, hard facts and not get into a dither.

I will watch football and hope "my" Patriots win over those dastardly NY Giants. I shall buy some sliced turkey from BJ's (it is sooo gooood), a can of Franco American turkey gravy, BJ's brand mashed potato, and some squash and cranberry sauce.

I thought I would be having dinner across the street with "the girls" but they are going across the state to another friend's new house and the other neighbor has a new gf so they are going out to dinner. That's okay, I will do my own thing and give Thanks that I'm still alive.

I could go to my Club for dinner but that would inccur drinking and driving so I'm going to pass on that. Plus I don't want to pay for something that used to be free at the Club! I know, cheap, cheap, cheap!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My new tradition is trying to convince myself that I'm happy with no one to cook or buy presents for. No use getting myself upset that it will be lonely but it's reality and I need to accept the cold, hard facts and not get into a dither.

I will watch football and hope "my" Patriots win over those dastardly NY Giants. I shall buy some sliced turkey from BJ's (it is sooo gooood), a can of Franco American turkey gravy, BJ's brand mashed potato, and some squash and cranberry sauce.

I thought I would be having dinner across the street with "the girls" but they are going across the state to another friend's new house and the other neighbor has a new gf so they are going out to dinner. That's okay, I will do my own thing and give Thanks that I'm still alive.

I could go to my Club for dinner but that would inccur drinking and driving so I'm going to pass on that. Plus I don't want to pay for something that used to be free at the Club! I know, cheap, cheap, cheap!
It's funny you should mention that. I typically have most of my holiday shopping done by September (I tend to find the best gifts while on vacation), but it's so weird this year to have an empty "gift" closet. :\ I'm hoping that will all change sooner rather than later, though. A marriage and some babies (if I'm lucky enough to have them) are in order first. Then I'll have a large Greek family once again (fingers crossed ) and new new traditions will be in order.

I get what you mean about "trying to convince yourself". I'm in the same boat this year. I figure if I say I'm excited to start a new tradition that one day I'll genuinely be happy to have started a new tradition.

I think your new tradition sounds delightful and very practical.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 11-16-2012 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 PM

32,945 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Those traditions have to start somewhere, don't they?

Last year, I dined in a restaurant. It was very exciting. The fire alarm went off in the middle of dinner! I got up and walked outside; three other women left the building. (The rest of them stayed inside?!!) Nothing bad happened. I guess that someone in the kitchen burned something?

One woman was very upset. She was sniping at the assistant manager who was waiting for the fire department to show up and silence the alarm. She burst into tears and said that she had felt very frightened and vulnerable. We talked for a while and I reminded her that she was OK. Maybe that is my new holiday tradition. Every year I can find someone who is 'totally freaking out' lol, and put them at ease.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For years, I kept a particular Readers Digest magazine. It contained a story about a family who, every Thanksgiving, went out in search of someone alone or in need to join their family gathering. In the past, it had been college students stuck at the dorm, people passing through town, new residents far away from home and family. On this particular holiday, by Thursday morning, they still hadn't found their guest(s). Dad went driving around looking for someone. He finally found an elderly, perhaps homeless, gentleman to join the celebration. Back at home, he sent the man into the bathroom with towels, soap, a razor, a toothbrush and some clean clothing. He was in there for a long time - I guess that the hot water was a luxury. Later, they all shared a lovely holiday meal. During dinner conversation they learned that he'd been married, had raised two children, traveled. They invited him to stay the night. The elderly man slept in the next day. The family became concerned and rapped at the bedroom door a few times. Finally, Dad entered the room. He discovered that the man had passed during the night. It was probably the best day that he'd had in years.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 PM

Those are both great stories, Gerania.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:54 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
Wow, Gerania. That Reader's Digest story sent chills down my spine.

My 1st Thanksgiving was on the one month anniversary, so I did not do anything, nor did I for Christmas. I pretty much don't even remember them. The second year, my son was with me, so I made a traditional turkey dinner, but for two instead of my usual five. I invited myself up to my sil's in Denver that year for Christmas. Last year, I again invited myself to my sil's but for Thanksgiving instead. My son and I did Christmas alone. This year, my sil and hubby are coming here for Thanksgiving. They arrive Sunday and will be in town until Saturday the 24th. The hubby has family in Eloy and Saddlebrooke, and sil has a bff in Green Valley, so they'll be making the rounds. Christmas will again be just Andrew and me.

On a side note~~my oldest daughter, whom I met up with in KC this summer, went to her in-laws in Tampa for a week last month, and just posted about 70 pics on FB about their time together. She never posted one pic of us in KC. She is much closer to her inlaws than she is to our side of the family, and that hurts. Her hubby's family are Evangelicals, and she fell in love with that so much that she just got her Bachelor's from Wayland Baptist Online in Christian Ministry. So they all talk, Skype and do Bible study together. Her hubby also has two siblings who are also Evangelical and have lots of kids, so her kids have cousins on that side. But, it's sad to think they barely knew Bob, and barely know me, so when they're grown, all their grandparent, aunt, uncle and cousin memories will be of their dad's side of the family where they spent so much time. That really bothers me, especially when I know she spends every Thanksgiving and Christmas with the in-laws, and not with us. I wish we could share that together...but she won't travel here with 4 kids, and I can't afford to fly to Atlanta and stay in a hotel...

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM

These holidays are going to be my "firsts" without Earl. I think watching our beloved Patriots and having my put together turkey dinner in a quiet house will be good for my heart. I can even stay in my pajama's!

Marcy, Andrew sounds like a really good kid. I understand and empathize with your feeling of abandonment from your kids even though my situation is only the one.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
My husband and I are going to Thanksgiving dinner that is put on by the Lions Club (or maybe it's the Kiwanis or Rotary Club? one of those).

We're not celebrating Christmas this year. Maybe we'll go for a long drive in the country. It'll be beautiful and very quiet and that will be nice.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 AM

379 posts, read 534,068 times
Default Holiday plans

tami, really, a Tom Brady fan? gheesh.....I'll take the Manning boy any day!!!! jk......my husband was from MS and was around in Archie Manning's day, and so we/I take a likin to them Manning boys!!!!!

Ok, back to holiday plans. I grew up in a loving, middle class family where Thanksgiving and Christmas were always about going home. It was wonderful, my mom and dad made it that way. As three of us girls got married and moved out, we always went back to Mama and Daddy's. At Thanksgiving, we drew names for Christmas (for the adults). It was just the best time.

Then my mom died in 1996 and nothing has ever been the same since. My dad died in 2008. In fact, I stopped even decorating for Christmas because the memory was just too painful without them here. Jim agreed and we just never decorated in our own home again.

So not decorating now is no big deal for me. The holidays are painful anyway, I hate how commercial Christmas has become and think of all the people who don't have enough, yet the media puts on the pressure to spend, spend, spend.

Since Jim died in April, and I have been adopted by my new family (mother, daughter and son, who I might add are all my neighbors now), the mom told me: Mark has Thanksgiving, and we go to my house on Christmas Eve after church. Marcia told me to mark it on my calendar and I will be included now and forever. I could not have asked to have a finer bunch of people in my life.

This will be the first holiday season for me without Jim, so it will be tough, but I will have great friends to share it with. I am thankful for that.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 AM

When we were QB'd by Bledsoe, I liked everyone else's QB instead of my own! I could not stand that guy. Manning was one of my favs. Very rarely watched the games. Just happened to have sat down with Earl to watch the game Bledsoe got hurt in and Brady took over....forever more! I have been a rabid fan since. Oh, I also love and wear Tedi Bruschi's # too. Bruschi lives one town over from where I will be moving back to.

It's going to be weird watching the Colts with no Peyton tomorrow. I'm hoping Luck has none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning