Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times

Advertisements

Very sad news, and how these parents will ever get over this is unimaginable..if ever..... how sad this young mans behaviour wasnt monitored more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,218,757 times
Sickening, senseless sad, powerless.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
I am crying, sickened and so sad hearing about even more innocent people, children and adults dying at the hands of another sick person. This just brings back horrible memories of what could have happened in my family, and I thank God that it didn't.

If Canada and the USA don't increase access to mental health care, and change the laws for institutionalizing family members with mental health issues FAR more than they have, this senseless killing will just continue. Seriously mentally ill people should have their rights of freedom removed until a panel of doctors have decided otherwise. This is the ONLY way to stop these mass murderers.

I've read so many people blaming the parents online: they blame the mother for not having the guns locked away and father for being absent in his life. Yes, the mother should have had her guns locked away, but if this young man would have had proper mental health care and laws to FORCE him into receiving help, this very well might not have happened.

As I said earlier, we had serious mental health issues in one of my family members in the past, (in the 70's) and I know first hand that if an adult child won't take meds and won't seek help of any kind, even the very best of parents, siblings and concerned friends are helpless in seeking treatment. We had a life and death situation at our house that thankfully was averted, but only after our family member was so sick that he was going to kill himself or someone else. He was taken away by the police, locked into a padded cell and forced to be on medication. It had to come to this horrible head to force him to see a doctor or be on meds. Our family knew how sick he was, but we were powerless until this happened. He was like a ticking time bomb. We/he just got lucky that nothing happened. Just LUCKY! that is ALL.
He has thankfully been on meds and doing VERY well ever since. Since 1978 (since he's been on his meds) he hasn't had any serious problems, so being on meds and being under doctor's supervision DO work.

So sad that this wasn't the case with this young man in Conneticut.

Last edited by gouligann; 12-17-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
If Canada and the USA don't increase access to mental health care, and change the laws for institutionalizing family members with mental health issues FAR more than they have, this senseless killing will just continue..
This is the key that's being swept under the proverbial rug. While I can't condone the freewheeling institutionalization of the early 20th Century, the "release" wave of the late 20th is just as ill serving to everyone...

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
It is possible we will never find out why the young man did this. From what I have read to date, there was no indication that he was mentally ill prior to the massacre. We know he was diagnosed with Aspergers, but that alone means nothing. There were no prior acts of violence nor were there any run-ins with the law. Indeed, there's no evidence he was "oppositional defiant" or that he even displayed aggression while attending school. If we were to institutionalize everyone with Aspergers, I suspect we'd be locking up a lot of our mathematicians and scientists, as it is a common joke among those in the field that they tend to exhibit the classic symptoms of Asperger's.

It is understandable that everyone wants an answer that separates them or their children from the "evil" one. I just don't believe we're going to get that answer.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I just started hearing last night that Nancy Lanza didn't keep her guns under lock and key?? WTH??

"They" say Adam Lanza "didn't just snap". Who says he didn't? His mother was still in bed I heard. Maybe Friday morning was the first time he started hearing the voice(s)?

We'll never know with certainty what happened. All I know is we HAVE to change how we deal with the mentaly unstable and ban assault weapons.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There is something so profoundly heinous about the massecre in Newtown, CT. The mass shootings in Aurora, Wisconsin, and at the mall in Portland earlier this week that all happend during this year in 2012 are certainly terrible as well and no less important. But I guess I was numb over those incidents and had come to accept that this is a part of life in America. I don't know why but I'm a lot more affected by this tragedy. Sometimes a story so unfathomable and make me very emotional, these headlines in Connecticut are too much to handle. I had to keep together at work when I heard the news, then I came home last night and bawled my eyes out, and I'm a grown man.

My eyes have been welling up all day today and my stomach has been in knots ever since I heard what happend. Worse yet so many are so insensitive about this senseless tragedy and making spiteful political remarks over it, totally lacking any compassion. This is such a heartbreaking story and I'm grieving pretty hard over it. There is so much innocence lost. It's just unacceptable.
I am still crying over this too....I have ten year old daughter and feel so much pain for these families of all these victims, but especially the parents of the small children....SMALL CHILDREN...WHY, WHY , WHY....I know we will never have an answer, but I only pray each night for all of them, I am feeling your sadness too and I hope we all can get thru this horrible trajedy....peace to you.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,030,613 times
I'm also male and very seldom do I cry at anything. However, I find myself bawling uncontrollably at various times during each interview I see on TV with the parents, relatives, or friends of the victims describing those lost. My god, how inspirational and strong these survivors are. How gorgeous these children.

I even cried when Gene Rosen down the street from the school was interviewed who found a group of first graders from Ms Soto's class at the foot of his driveway and took them in to his home, especially the description of the encounter with the frantic mother shortly after the children he comforted were picked up by their parents. My god how sad that was.

So many heroes and it just when it seems I may run out of tears another story is told.

The last story I viewed on CNN was when the McDonnells were being interviewed by Anderson Cooper and Grace's mother with a warm smile described how her daughter and her friends were holding hands as they died, all 20 of them holding hands right now and are with their loving principal who, I'm sure, will be looking after them for an eternity. Tears were rolling down my face.

What the hell is wrong with me. I just can't stop crying; it's something I never do. Men aren't suppose to cry.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,980,218 times
The parents of these lost babies (and adults) will go on because they have to. They will have people depending on them and one does not simply curl up and die of grief as much as one might wish to. So they will go on. They will learn to carry the pain in their hearts.
Having buried my daughter I have some idea what the parents are going through. And I hate it that they will have this burden forever. I hate it so much! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,576,783 times
I read on HuffPost that Nancy Lanza may have filed conservatorship papers to have Adam institutionalized, and that he was aware of it. He was also jealous that she apparently volunteered with the 1st grade class last year and spent more time with them, than hi. He apparently thought she loved the kids more than him since she was trying to "get rid" of him. He was furious that she wanted him institutionalized. The report also said she was terrified of him and couldn't handle him any longer. She was at her wit's end and desperate to do something for/with him. The person interviewed said that Adam had some pretty significant behavior problems at home and that his mom just couldn't take it any more. When Adam found out about the committment papers, he went beserk, and the rest is history. The theory is that he killed her, then her best friends the principal and psychologist, then the kids he was jealous of. Their teachers just got in the way so they were shot as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning