Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:47 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times

Advertisements

Its been 25 years since my dad died and I've never dreamed about him.

I think about him though, every day, and sometimes I feel him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:07 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotama View Post
my mom died in 1991 and still comes to hang around every night..its so common i do not even realize it..sometimes i have lucid dreams and we talk..its awsome

Same here! Mom always was a talker!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Mom's still with us, Dad's deceased.

Last week I would have said I never dream about him, but I did have a dream about him a couple of nights ago. He was a creepy stalker. I kept telling him to go away and that I was repulsed by what he demanded but he wouldn't stop.

Years ago my psychologist asked me if I'd ever been molested by a family member. The question came out of the blue. I said I couldn't remember anything like that happening but now I wonder.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:21 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I lost my mom in July and I dream about her almost every night. In my dreams nothing unusual or dramatic happens, she is just in the dream. Sometimes talking to me or just standing around. I feel comforted in some ways by these dreams because it's like I see her again, but then I am sometimes sad when I wake up because I know she is gone forever.

Is is common to dream of a mom or dad who has passed away? Has this happened to anyone else?
'

I lost my Dad in July but so far I have only had one dream and in my opinion it wasn't a good dream. I honestly wish I would have a dream about him as I have a strong need to know he is at peace (not really sure how to I am suppose to achieve this). On the day my Dad past away after a long deterioration I had ran home leaving him alone with my Mother for a bit about 2pm she ended up leaving prior to me getting back to the nursing home (she needed to get something to eat), in between her leaving and me arriving back at the nursing home (about 20 mins) my Dad passed away. I have had overwhelming guilt about this, I hate that he ended up dying alone and I can not get his face when I walked into the room out of my head.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:05 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I dream of my lost cat often. I wake up happy, but then get said thinking about it.

A weirder thing is that my cousin has never been able to walk and sometimes I dream he is walking. I wake up elated. My aunt- his mom- has those dreams too and wakes up very sad.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
'

I lost my Dad in July but so far I have only had one dream and in my opinion it wasn't a good dream. I honestly wish I would have a dream about him as I have a strong need to know he is at peace (not really sure how to I am suppose to achieve this). On the day my Dad past away after a long deterioration I had ran home leaving him alone with my Mother for a bit about 2pm she ended up leaving prior to me getting back to the nursing home (she needed to get something to eat), in between her leaving and me arriving back at the nursing home (about 20 mins) my Dad passed away. I have had overwhelming guilt about this, I hate that he ended up dying alone and I can not get his face when I walked into the room out of my head.
I don't think you should feel guilty at all. I've read many accounts of people waiting until their loved ones were out of the room to die. He may have been hanging on because he knew you were in the room and when you left, he relaxed and was able to go. Try not to beat yourself up over it.

Also, I am sorry for your loss. I hope you see your father in your dreams soon in a peaceful and comforting way.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Cuppett View Post
For my dad the tears will one day stop, but my heart will forever be missing a piece and I'm not sure when, if ever I will stop missing him. Even when I grew up...I remained his little girl. My dad passed 5/2014 and although I'm at the age where it's "expected" I realize for parents to pass,(my mom passed in 2004), I'm far from being accepting of it.
Shawna you are going through a very sad time. My dad died in 2002 and I'll never forget when I was informed. I felt like my insides were ripped out.

We knew it was coming and we talked about it. This may help you. He was very intelligent and a deep thinker. He said, think about it, look into someone's eyes, we call it a spirit and that spirit is an energy. That energy has to go somewhere and we prefer to think it's a good place. He also said that he knew it was harder to be the one left behind than the one to go.

My mother had a massive stroke 2 years ago. She says she does not remember anything and that although she prefers to stay around she is no longer afraid when her time comes. After she took another bad turn, she remembers a hand reaching down to her and she said no, not yet. She's still with us but not for long.

It is truly harder to be the one left behind.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:16 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
'

Maybe he decided to leave when he was finally alone. I think my mother did that. My mother had a massive stroke, went to the hospital, and was transferred to inpatient hospice. There was someone in her room 15 to 20 hours a day, and she died, decided to die, at 4 AM when she was alone. It was the one night that I decided that I needed to sleep in a horizontal position in a real bed for at least a few hours. I did feel a bit of guilt about that, but I did everything that I could. I'm OK with it now... mostly. I still think she decided to die when she was alone.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
My dad passed away when I was quite young, and I haven't had any dreams about him. I still mourn not having my dad around as I got older, and wish so much I'd gotten to know him better. Through my recollections and from other people's memories, he was a wonderful man. If they'd only had heart by-passes back then... he was only 47.

My mom passed away in '93, and a few nights after her death I dreamed that I was crying. In my dream, I stood up beside my bed and my mom appeared in front of me and asked me why I was crying? I told her that I missed her so much. She wrapped her arms around me and said to me, I'm ok, don't cry.

When I woke up, I felt so much better and so happy to have that one last hug. I haven't dreamed of her again, but that one dream was so life-like and clear, that that hug and reassurance has stayed with me all these years since then.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

My mom passed away in '93, and a few nights after her death I dreamed that I was crying. In my dream, I stood up beside my bed and my mom appeared in front of me and asked me why I was crying? I told her that I missed her so much. She wrapped her arms around me and said to me, I'm ok, don't cry.

When I woke up, I felt so much better and so happy to have that one last hug. I haven't dreamed of her again, but that one dream was so life-like and clear, that that hug and reassurance has stayed with me all these years since then.
I have heard of (and experienced) so many examples of this kind of dream. It is my opinion that these are not simple dreams, that the spirit of the loved one returns to reassure us that they are OK. In my experience this happens only once, while we may have ordinary dreams of the person many times. How wonderful that we receive this glimpse into the other side and the comfort of knowing that peace after death does exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning