Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I lost my mom in July and I dream about her almost every night. In my dreams nothing unusual or dramatic happens, she is just in the dream. Sometimes talking to me or just standing around. I feel comforted in some ways by these dreams because it's like I see her again, but then I am sometimes sad when I wake up because I know she is gone forever.

Is is common to dream of a mom or dad who has passed away? Has this happened to anyone else?
I had a dream about my father last week. I don't remember the dream anymore, but it was pleasant and I was happy to see him and woke up in a good mood, as if it had been a real visit. He died in 1999 at the age of 78.

I occasionally have dreams of my grandmother, who died in 1974. She and my mother (they were in-laws) hated each other, but my grandmother loved us kids. In the dream, I feel loved by her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
My dad passed away in '99 - at the age of 80. My mom is still alive - in a nursing home and will be 93 this July.

As a family we have alot of photos of mom and dad - from when they were babies to their teens to adulthood and beyond. And we have a lifetime of stories and memories.

I don't necessarily dream of them but I do remember those stories of them and think of them at younger ages and what their lives were like.

I still talk to my dad.... and miss him terribly. He died on my birthday.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,381 times
Dreams are such a subjective experience. If one (a dream) has special meaning then I feel it must be part of the unconsious relaying comfort to the conscious self through the easiest doorway,

Regardless of the content, dreams are our way of commuicating between the many layers of the self, Much like a large coporation carries on inner layerd memo's between departments.

You may work in a company for years and years and never meet most the people who are also working there.

Our Psychie is much more complex.....To try to take a dream and make it into something is like taking a photo of a cloud and basing the outlook ot your day on it. Like a weather report.

The thing is our inner self is always trying to commuicate with /you/us using meaningful symbols that will get the conscious minds attention! Regardless of the symbols the message is there.

Comfort is comfort, any other message is that! Hello. By all means pay attention to your dreaming self, it has it's place in your waking life.....Think about it.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:22 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
My Mom died suddenly in 1985. I was 2,000 miles away at the time, longest plane flight ever. Anyway, I still miss her, and occasionally dream of her. The other night I specifically remembering a dream where she was smiling and said, "It'll be ok".

Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Dreaming can be like a "mashup" of time & space/place-it's a blend that may not make "sense" to conscious logic but nonetheless "just is" (while one is immersed in it).

Parents are deceased (Mother in 2000, Father in 2008).
Wasn't spending time w/them regularly when they passed, but had more stored-up experiences (from childhood & teenagedom) with my mother, so she's the parent I dream of more often (though dreams of both have decreased, but not ceased, over the years).
My recollections of such dreams are more that I was living "back there", in the house that one or the other of my parents lived in (they divorced when I was baby, so I grew up shuttling between households)-and that the parent who lived in that house is alive & things are somewhat how they were "back then" (for good/ill). My attention is more on what my bedroom in each home is like, compared to how it used to look, what it contained, when I did live there-but then some family drama will intrude and steer the dream that way...

I don't mean to sound insensitive by admitting this, I just don't want to gloss over the complex truth.
Dreamed about them plenty while they were alive, because our relationships were difficult and stormy.
Only with this distance could I access compassion and understanding towards them, because I'm no longer having to cope with realistically dealing with them as living persons. They safely exist only in my memory-neither I nor my parents can make things better with each other, but we can't make things any worse at this point, either.
I do like that it's possible to have some sense of "visiting" with them while I'm dreaming-that is, when it's not an upsetting dream.

Though it seems that most threads in this section are about deceased loved ones, I feel keenly the losses of relationships that weren't due to death-I dream much more frequently about an ex-bf than about family, because in adulthood I've been much closer (intimacies & intensity of day-to-day life) with SOs than with family. I dream about this or that ex due not to being hung up specifically on those individuals, but more as a placeholder (archetype) in my head, until I meet a new SO who fills that role in my life (and mind, and therefore, becomes incorporated into my dream content). At least that's my interpretation...

Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
I have been dreaming a lot lately about my stepmother who was 47 when I lost her in September. I wasn't home when she passed and I never got to say goodbye.

I have dreams about getting into her bed and giving her a kiss on her cheek. I hug her for a long time and then I wake up.

My father has never dreamt about her, however he was holding her when she died and got to say goodbye.

I sometimes wonder if it's her way of coming back and letting me say goodbye the way I wanted to, I wanted nothing more than to be on that bed with the rest of my family when she left us. I have this exact dream any time I find I am really missing her. I wake up feeling a little more comforted...

Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I lost my mom in July and I dream about her almost every night. In my dreams nothing unusual or dramatic happens, she is just in the dream. Sometimes talking to me or just standing around. I feel comforted in some ways by these dreams because it's like I see her again, but then I am sometimes sad when I wake up because I know she is gone forever.

Is is common to dream of a mom or dad who has passed away? Has this happened to anyone else?
How often do you dream of your deceased mom or dad?

Not as often as I would like to but I take great comfort in those dreams when I do dream of them. My parents have been deceased for some time now and I still miss them so very much. I think of them nearly every day because I repeat family stories or I will quote one or both of them in just everyday circumstances.

Honestly, they were a tough act to follow and they were the very best...so yes, I truly enjoy visiting with them in my dreams.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 02-03-2013, 06:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
I'm glad I started this thread, so many interesting and poignant responses. Reading through them has helped me. Thank you!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Thanks for asking the questions...I thought the nightmares were over!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,865 times
It has been 10 months since my dad passed on. I still think of him all the time. Last night, I had a realistic dream of him. I really thought he was in my room on the computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning