Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,225,740 times

Advertisements

I took a nap today and "knew" my dad and husband were in it. It's been a long time. Made me feel good after I woke up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,583,653 times
It's been probably a year since I've dreamed of my husband. He didn't appear in my dreams until about six months after he died, but for the next year, he was in them frequently; first talking to me, and telling me about his death, then just with me in dreams that were more like stories. He appeared less and less to where it's been a long time since he's been in my dreams. I hope he appears again because it was such a warm, happy feeling to have him with me, even if it was in dreams.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,379,735 times
Dreamed of my mother last night, I was wandering around (the city where last we lived) looking for her.
I was having to stay/crash with various people of questionable character
while trying to find her, as she had moved from her previous address.

I could picture her in the dream, in that while I was having the dream,
I experienced memories of what she looked like & how she was,
but I'm not sure whether I actually managed to locate her by conclusion of the dream.

It really stuck with me, for once I didn't forget what I'd dreamed immediately upon waking.

It's been 13 & 1/2 yrs. since she died, but I expect the experiences I've had of her
will continue to live on in my mind, and in such manifestations as these sorts of dreams.

Strange that I don't much dream of my late father, he's been gone for over 5 years now.
We didn't see each other for the last decade of his life,
so I probably have a smaller reservoir of memories with which to generate such dreams.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,218,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
When my parents died I dreamed ABOUT them. Now many years later they just make cameo appearances in my dreams. Probably weekly.
In the period right after each parent died I experienced no increase in the dreams where they appeared, though I know many people do. In the case of my father, he rapidly disappeared from my dreams and his reappearances have been rare in the past twenty or thirty years.

My mother was a vain, mean-spirited, selfish creature. Whenever she appeared in my dreams before her death she was always as horrid as in waking life; after her death she continued to appear in my dreams in the same way and with the same frequency as before she died. Then, after the passage of about five years, her appearances became increasingly infrequent, for which I am very grateful.

Most of the dead who show up in my dreams are a pleasant grandmother, an occasional cousin, or deceased friends. What surprises me - even in my sleep - is when someone I knew from a job long ago, whom I learned casually is deceased, shows up. When one of these appears in my dreams, my reaction is usually an immediate, "I thought she/he was dead!" Then I wake up....and suddenly realize: yes, it was a dream.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:17 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,825,355 times
My grandad died recently from cancer and I've never felt so distraught. My grandparents raised me from the age of 12 so I saw him as the Dad I never really had.
When I told him that me and my wife were expecting our first baby, he was so proud. She was going to be his first great grandchild and I know that he was excited to meet her. Sadly though, my grandad went into hospital 10 days before my daughter was due to be born, and was told that he had liver cancer and that he had only a few weeks left.
Sadly my grandad died on the day my daughter was due to be born, I couldn't be there with as I needed to be with my wife. I was absolutely devastated, I really thought he would see her but it wasn't to be.
Anyway, my daughter was born just over 3 weeks ago, on the 25th May, 4 days after my grandads death. She's absolutely beautiful and I know that he'd understand why I wasn't there.
The thing is, I've been so busy with my wife and daughter that I haven't had time to grieve his death. There's been a couple of times when I've been alone that I've been a bit emotional, but on the whole not too much. I just wished I could've seen him in person to say goodbye, I just want him to come back and tell me that he understands and that he's a proud great grandfather. Deep down I know that he is and that he smiled down on us.
I miss him so much but I know one day I'll see him again

Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 AM

523 posts, read 3,807,034 times
my father died suddenly & unexpectedly around 3 months ago - and i hadnt had many dreams of him at all since his death.

2 nights ago (the night before father's day) i had a very vivid dream of him, in which he was alive again - and he was explaining that he hadnt really died, and that he was fine & well and doing great, and was still very much around. even in my dream, i sort of knew he was still dead, but it was lovely to see him, and hear his voice.

i would welcome many more dreams like that.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,225,740 times
So sorry to hear about your granddad, dean.

I've been dreaming of Mom, Dad and Earl a lot lately. I don't remember the dreams as soon as I wake up but I know they were in the dream because I can still "feel" them when I wake up. Makes me wonder if my time is coming up.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,708,848 times
maybe one week ago I had a dream about my Mom funny when I wanted a puppy and she gave into me
within one week we had the same dream of this dog in our room on the bed. the dog as she would was just looking at us with that dog look and brown eyes.

The dog now is at rainbow bridge but often I think of this connection and funny at times I dream of this dog also,

Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,457,751 times
My mom lived to 97. I wish I knew more about her than I do. Not that we were ever separated. We weren't. We just didn't live in the same town after I married. She did some strange things when I was growing up, but, I'm sure would never have told me the straight of it, so, I didn't ask.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,583,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
my father died suddenly & unexpectedly around 3 months ago - and i hadnt had many dreams of him at all since his death.

2 nights ago (the night before father's day) i had a very vivid dream of him, in which he was alive again - and he was explaining that he hadnt really died, and that he was fine & well and doing great, and was still very much around. even in my dream, i sort of knew he was still dead, but it was lovely to see him, and hear his voice.

i would welcome many more dreams like that.
My husband died suddenly and unexpectedly 3+ years ago. It was six months before I had a dream about him, but in it, I drove to his "new" law office. It was in the same town as the old one, but up a set of stairs to a place I'd never seen. It was stark; just a card table chair, card table and phone. I asked him if he knew he was dead, and he said yes. I said I was glad he didn't die of a heart attack, and he replied that he had died of a heart attack. I asked if it hurt, and he said not really. Then I asked him what his last thought was and he said, "love you." I laughed and said "I figured it would have been "Oh, $hit!". Then he laughed. I asked why his office was so bare, and he said, "This is what they give you when you have to start over." He went on to say, he would get a 2nd chance to do the things he wasn't able to do, and this was the start. And that was the end of the dream. I had more dreams that were a bit more normal where we did things like he was still alive, but in the past few months, he's just been fleeting in my dreams. I wish I could have a long talk with him again, especially since I'm going through some serious issues with one of our children, and I'd love his advice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning