Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,768,633 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and my wife is 29 and was officially diagnosed with the disease that took her father at a fairly young age. As of lately I've been kind of, I guess planning what I should if my wife does pass, what to do with life insurance, who, and or when I should find some one else. I'm not trying to get rid of her by any means, I love her like crazy, but I guess I find my self thinking....what if. Is it wrong to plan ahead like this. She is doing great but I still can shake this feeling that something might happen and I will be stuck with a lot of big decisions at such an early stage in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 02:05 PM

814 posts, read 2,050,232 times
its one of them situations where only time will tell and you will cross them bridges when you come to them. i say stop worrying and enjoy it wile ya got it!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,329,960 times
I can see planning SOME things ahead, but I'd hold off on the "who, and or when I should find someone else" part.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,576,209 times
First of all, I'd like to say I'm sorry to hear about your wife being diagnosed with this disease. How sad that the two of you are so young and faced with a difficult future.

I'm sure it won't be easy to broach certain subjects, but it must be done for you and for her ease of mind. One day when you are sitting quietly with her, bring it up and ask her if she would rather discuss "uncomfortable" things that will go along with her illness, getting it over now, (while she is feeling great) or would she rather wait to talk about things. Just don't let it go too long, to the point when she is too sick to even care about talking things over.
I feel for you and hope you can both keep as healthy and as happy as can be.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM

971 posts, read 1,459,005 times
Sorry for your problem OP.
My wife and I was married for 40 years when she was diagnosed with cancer. After her left breast was removed and the surgeon reported 19 of the 21 lymth nodes were cancerous. My wife asked how much time did he think she had to live? He said with chemo and radiation he felt she could have a good six months. We searched the internet for any help. She was a fighter and changed her diet and exercise patterns which extended the six months to 13 1/2 years. In hindsight these 13 1/2 years working together were more memoriable than all of our previous 40 years. It will be what you make of it. IMHO

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 06-10-2013 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,402,708 times
Very sorry to hear about your wife. I am sure that her father's illness has always been in the back of her mind, and she probably had a feeling that she might also inherit that disease. It is important to work together and live each day to its fullest. Have all the necessary paperwork in order and take care of yourself so that she doesn't have to worry about you. Keep in mind that we never know what will happen and that you could go first.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,445,385 times
All I can tell you is that you need to focus on, whatis here, and now. II worked with a little girl, who had a disease that was terminal by age 15,amd the prognosis was grim. It was amazing, she was still doing good okay at age 18,and we had never really considered transition planning, or post high school, we stopped thinking about her prognosis and death, and focused on her life.

Yes, she did die.... Ten years later.

Plan for the best.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,982,826 times
This is just a consideration. As you mention you have a life insurance policy there's a good chance it has a terminal illiness benefit. The benefit says if there is a terminal illiness which usually will cause death within say 12 months there can be an advance of the death benefit.

That being said if that's the case is there any place or anything you and your wife want to do together. If so the terminal illiness benefit just may be an option to consider. I will say this not all states allow the benefit and some companies may not have it in their policy. Give the policy a read or check with your life agent..I wish you all the best..

Old 06-10-2013, 09:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,396,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I'm 28 and my wife is 29 and was officially diagnosed with the disease that took her father at a fairly young age. As of lately I've been kind of, I guess planning what I should if my wife does pass, what to do with life insurance, who, and or when I should find some one else. I'm not trying to get rid of her by any means, I love her like crazy, but I guess I find my self thinking....what if. Is it wrong to plan ahead like this. She is doing great but I still can shake this feeling that something might happen and I will be stuck with a lot of big decisions at such an early stage in my life.
The legal issues are an absolute must to get done and set in place as soon as possible. The "finding a new wife" issue is something that really should not even be considered as part of your thought process simply because you have no idea what is going to happen in the future. The legal aspects are smart pre planning security for yourself and your family. It is possible that something will happen to you well before anything happens to your wife.

I wish you both the best and sincerely hope her health can be stabilized so you can have a long happy marriage and life together.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 PM

33,014 posts, read 36,569,063 times
I hope that you both have a long time to think about it.

When you eventually get insurance money, stick it in a savings account until you decide what to do with it. You may want to move, travel or start a small business.

You'll find someone else... when you find someone else. There is no timetable for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning