Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:38 AM

18,571 posts, read 18,862,416 times

Advertisements

I remember back in the 1960s seeing a photo of a friends baby in a coffin, it shocked me.. as Id never seen that before.. but maybe it gave her some kind of comfort.. in Victorian times it was the done thing as I suppose they didnt have any or many photos of their children and this was the only one they would have... seems a bit morbid though... and not for me. Stiff Pose Victorian Postmortem photography (140 Pics) - mdolla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:03 PM

1,149 posts, read 939,472 times
I see nothing wrong with it. They are at peace and last time to see the body in a memorable state.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:04 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,147,693 times
Since I was a child and attending family funerals, my parents always took pictures of the deceased. I also took pictures of my parents.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:33 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,647,783 times
Ugh. This is why I want direct cremation, no body present at the memorial service. Most of the memorial services I've been to lately have displayed several nice photos of the high points of the dearly departed's life. That's a much better better thing to do, in my opinion.

At one time, I had several coffin photos passed down to me. I destroyed them. They weren't something I wanted to keep. I have other photos of my great-grandparents that were taken while they were alive.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:38 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,124,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Death always brings out the best in people.

My grandmother passed away in 1982, she had boxes and boxes of pictures of family in their coffins. I think the thought goes back to the age of pictures of Lincoln and Billy the Kid in their coffins.
I remember seeing Jesse James coffin picture when I was a kid. I think most people had few to no pictures of their relatives back then, and the photos of professional photographers at funerals were the last opportunity to get a picture. (Also, when public figures died, it was a way, I guess for the public to see that they were actually dead.) It seems justified to me in the 19th century, but I can't see how it would be now. Pretty much everyone in this country would have grown up with cameras, then digital, then cell phones - with a plethora of opportunities for picture taking when the person is alive. There was not one picture taken at my husband's service (as far as I know) and that is fine with me.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:17 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,262,071 times
If I have ever been to a wake that pictures were taken, I have no recollection of it. I am glad of that! Yes, before Kodak-Eastman came along, I could understand it a little bit more. Nowadays? That is just morbid.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:30 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,589,263 times
I would hate the thought of someone taking a picture of my dead body!

I am going to be cremated just to be sure!

Old 03-31-2018, 10:22 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,438,494 times
The thread is almost three years old and 16 pages long, I think it's been debated to death (pun not intended).

Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 PM

779 posts, read 475,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
My mom passed away back at the end of 2008. At the funeral, we had an open casket. At the end of the service, my neice, who I love but has no common sense, started to take pictures of my Mother laying in her coffin. Talk about tacky!!! has anyone else experienced this??

I have been to funerals where it was video taped and the tape sent to the Ukraine because of family that was elderly and could not make the trip to the states.
I don't see why it's weird. It's really no more weird than embalming someone, trying to make them as they were after they are dead, and putting them on display. It's not natural.

What is natural is possibly wanting to remember the moment, even if it's painful. Maybe tacky during a service, but after....no.

I have a picture of my father in a coffin. I did not like the way he looked. I have always thought the whole pomp and circumstance is odd. People die. We try to pretend it's not real.

OP, I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:16 AM

18,571 posts, read 18,862,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I would hate the thought of someone taking a picture of my dead body!

I am going to be cremated just to be sure!
me too when I cant even airbrush it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning