Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM

971 posts, read 1,461,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That rep was me, bb. I hit the wrong button. ls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,474,817 times
I actually hate funerals. I really loathe public displays of grief. I refuse to attend them. People don't understand...I had a funeral one time, that I did not want to have, I felt like it was for everyone else, and it was like a day of salt and alcohol, poured on raw flesh. And yes, everyone acted like they,"understood" what I was going thru....really?! And the tears....really?! Stop. It was beyond...

Never again.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,340,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I actually hate funerals. I really loathe public displays of grief. I refuse to attend them. People don't understand...I had a funeral one time, that I did not want to have, I felt like it was for everyone else, and it was like a day of salt and alcohol, poured on raw flesh. And yes, everyone acted like they,"understood" what I was going thru....really?! And the tears....really?! Stop. It was beyond...

Never again.
Sorry about what you went through. And had to "endure.".. It's hard to plan and (yuk) "host" a funeral when we're in shock and devasted and "broken-hearted." (Beyond description!)...It's asking way "too much!" This is how I feel too.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:48 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,280,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Never again.
They actually ARE for everyone else. To commiserate with each other about knowing the deceased.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,654,175 times
unfortunately some funerals can be a big ordeal. Catholic funerals etc. (like for my Mom) but it was nice to see how many friends she had and while I was in shock, as I look back it was okay except for a few really dumb comments made to us kids "God opens one door and closes another" (unsolicited, offhand platitudes at the wake).

However when my ex MIL died, I sent flowers but didn't attend. It was the right thing to do bcs, while she was a good person my place was not to be there.

As for Ops post, if someone constantly creates drama , etc., then that is a different issue. If they are absorbed in grief its a personal journey that I respect. But I think like some have mentioned it makes friends or acquaintances feel frustrated bcs they cant "solve" the problem. If a funeral is someone distant, there's really no reason to attend, bcs I think some people just go out of "obligation" or curiosity and that's not really helpful to the actual mourners who lost a loved one either.

jmo, hope it makes sense, everyone's different.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:28 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,340,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
unfortunately some funerals can be a big ordeal. Catholic funerals etc. (like for my Mom) but it was nice to see how many friends she had and while I was in shock, as I look back it was okay except for a few really dumb comments made to us kids "God opens one door and closes another" (unsolicited, offhand platitudes at the wake).

However when my ex MIL died, I sent flowers but didn't attend. It was the right thing to do bcs, while she was a good person my place was not to be there.

As for Ops post, if someone constantly creates drama , etc., then that is a different issue. If they are absorbed in grief its a personal journey that I respect. But I think like some have mentioned it makes friends or acquaintances feel frustrated bcs they cant "solve" the problem. If a funeral is someone distant, there's really no reason to attend, bcs I think some people just go out of "obligation" or curiosity and that's not really helpful to the actual mourners who lost a loved one either.

jmo, hope it makes sense, everyone's different.
Good post. I agree with you...I don't feel that I "belong" at every funeral. It depends on how close I was to the person who died...Or I might attend a funeral when one of my close friends has a death in their family, etc.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,230,340 times
I went to my last funeral in 2006. My husband requested not to have a funeral. My mother did not want to have a funeral. I am not into funerals myself, I have been to "Celebration of Life" when the person dies and we talk about how much that person meant to us and everyone toasts with a glass of champagne. That is my preference. My husband use to tell me just put a bone up my butt and let the dogs take me away.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,013,455 times
We call funerals "Home-going services" because we believe that when a Christian dies, they go to Heaven ) which is their home after they die.

Sometimes Christians (and others, I guess) call funerals "a celebration of life". That sounds so much better than "funeral".

People make their grief about them because they still grieve. They are still trying to heal, and sometimes talking helps.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:42 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,280,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
We call funerals "Home-going services" because we believe that when a Christian dies, they go to Heaven ) which is their home after they die.

Sometimes Christians (and others, I guess) call funerals "a celebration of life". That sounds so much better than "funeral".

People make their grief about them because they still grieve. They are still trying to heal, and sometimes talking helps.
I think you misunderstood the OP, Soda. They meant OTHER people who are "consoling" a grieving person turn that into their grieving, like saying "I understand what you are going through, I.......yada, yada, yada." See what I'm saying?

Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,013,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I think you misunderstood the OP, Soda. They meant OTHER people who are "consoling" a grieving person turn that into their grieving, like saying "I understand what you are going through, I.......yada, yada, yada." See what I'm saying?
I apologize. I'm not concentrating or reading very well now.
I'd better work on this cold and go to bed.
Again, my apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning