Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,323,572 times

Advertisements

Death teaches us that some things are beyond our control. Don't you think?...I had to stand back and let my loved ones "go" because I didn't have the power or the ability to "heal" them...I couldn't make their cancer or heart problems or other illnesses "go away." It was all out of my hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Death teaches us that some things are beyond our control. Don't you think?...I had to stand back and let my loved ones "go" because I didn't have the power or the ability to "heal" them...I couldn't make their cancer or heart problems or other illnesses "go away." It was all out of my hands.
That is a great observation. The truth that we avoid all our lives is that the thing we value most we ultimately will lose.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,223,710 times
Those are both good observations, CA and kev.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
That is a great observation. The truth that we avoid all our lives is that the thing we value most we ultimately will lose.
I agree with you...We hear death mentioned in our wedding vows. ("Until death do us part.").. But, I never worried about losing my husband. He always seemed so healthy and youthful and alive and vibrant, etc...I had no idea he would develop pancreatic cancer and die in his 60's...I never expected to lose both of my sons so early in their lives...These days, I don't claim to know everything! Or anything!...Who knows what's around the next corner? I'm not "cocky" or "sure-footed" anymore.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Those are both good observations, CA and kev.
Thanks Tami...I've felt like a "failure" as a mom because I couldn't do more to help my sons. But in the end, it was just out of my control...I'm not God or master of the universe! Some things are out of my control...Hopefully, I'll find more peace by accepting that I just don't have control over everything.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Thanks Tami...I've felt like a "failure" as a mom because I couldn't do more to help my sons. But in the end, it was just out of my control...I'm not God or master of the universe! Some things are out of my control...Hopefully, I'll find more peace by accepting that I just don't have control over everything.
Maybe that is what "acceptance" truly means -- that we come to the point where we fully realize that there are things we cannot control so we must accept that it is beyond our power to change the outcome.

At some point, life isn't ours to "manage." It is like controlling a tornado. We can find shelter from the storm when we go down to the cellar, but the wind can rip into those recesses and still snuff out the lives we are trying so hard to sustain and protect. We do the right things but it isn't always in our power to keep that roaring wind at bay.

There can be real peace in acceptance.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:04 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,582,900 times
Getting to the point of acceptance is a very bumpy, introspective and heartbreaking trip.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Maybe that is what "acceptance" truly means -- that we come to the point where we fully realize that there are things we cannot control so we must accept that it is beyond our power to change the outcome.

At some point, life isn't ours to "manage." It is like controlling a tornado. We can find shelter from the storm when we go down to the cellar, but the wind can rip into those recesses and still snuff out the lives we are trying so hard to sustain and protect. We do the right things but it isn't always in our power to keep that roaring wind at bay.

There can be real peace in acceptance.
Even though I grew up in the city, I've always tried to learn lessons from nature...You're right! The weather is out of our control. And unpredictable! So is death...It's hard to live with uncertainties. But, I guess it's all part of facing reality.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Getting to the point of acceptance is a very bumpy, introspective and heartbreaking trip.
I agree with you! It is a rough and "rocky" road!...I know I have a long, long way to go before I reach the "acceptance stage."...I still have a lot of resistance. I don't want to put my husband and sons and other family members in the past. And "write" them "off."...It's hard to "move forward" without my family. But, I know I have to try.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,582,900 times
I am nowhere near acceptance. Not even close. I'm still mad, and still selfish. But, it's getting easier. Realizing that it's coming up on five years, and it doesn't feel like it. I can still stoke his head in my mind and feel it like it was yesterday. The feel of his arm around my shoulder or my waist, holding hands, I can still feel it completely. I still have pictures of him all over the house, and I'm still wearing my wedding rings. I still cry at the drop of a hat, but the times between my meltdowns is getting longer. I can go a week without one where as just a few weeks ago, they were almost every day still. So, there is a tiny pin prick of light at the end of this tunnel. Maybe some day I'll get there, but if not, that's okay, too. I'm moving in the right direction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning