Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:19 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

I send a sympathy card whether or not I got to the funeral. I also send flowers or a plant and try to bring some food over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:40 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I was so happy that my friend received a sympathy card from another friend right after his dog passed-away...My friend has been in the hospital for awhile and I ended-up picking up his mail for him...The sympathy card sure made him smile and brightened-up his day. His friend mentioned all the things she loved about his cute little dog in the card.. It was so nice! So sweet! And just what he needed to hear.

This is so nice! I think more people should do this in regards to pets passing.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:20 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
My vets have sent sympathy cards when I have had to put my pets down. I always cry again but from felling better that they cared enough for my sorrow. Even for a parakeet!

Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I send sympathy cards. I usually keep a few on hand, and try to add a personal note about the deceased.

One year, I learned of the passing of a beloved director months after his passing, which occurred while I was away on vacation. I didn't get to attend the wake, and I didn't know his family, so his demise went unmarked. As a consequence, I don't "keep score".

Well first off it's not about "keeping score". How nice it would have been if you sent a card with a short note to this man's family about how beloved he was. You can always include that you just found this out and wanted to send condolences.

Just because a few months go by and you just heard about the passing, doesn't mean you can't acknowledge the loss.

Out of the blue I received a card after my dad had passed about four months later, from a doctor of all people he had seen only a few times(he mentioned he had just found out), I was quite moved, and called the office to say how touched I was, it was forwarded from my dad's address.

So to say "oh well I didn't find out till 3 months later" shouldn't prevent you from sending a card. It could mean the world to the person on the other end.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My vets have sent sympathy cards when I have had to put my pets down. I always cry again but from felling better that they cared enough for my sorrow. Even for a parakeet!
That is sweet. A vet did that for one of my peis

It may sound odd but, watching my best friend in Stage 4 Cancer I have learned a lot, about how life is a struggle but he still tries.

I think I have let go of a great deal of grieving (lost parents years ago). In a weird way, Death is a learning experience.

Just for me, cards aren't a big thing, its nice, but I'd rather the deceased is treated well by their loved ones while they are still alive. Instead of , my Dads funeral and second cousins who show up after 20 years of not being there.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:03 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
I do send sympathy cards if it is an extended family member that has passed. Yet...I find that there are lots of people who don't do the same.

If I find out that someone has passed well after the funeral, I will write a note.

Sometimes I think people aren't sure who to send a card to. For example, when my mother passed, many people sent cards to my Dad. Yet, only one person (a cousin) sent one to me. Even though I wasn't close to my mother, I was touched that my cousin thought of me---and I let her know. After my mother's passing, I took the time to send thank you cards to all who sent a sympathy card to my Dad.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I do send sympathy cards if it is an extended family member that has passed. Yet...I find that there are lots of people who don't do the same.

If I find out that someone has passed well after the funeral, I will write a note.

Sometimes I think people aren't sure who to send a card to. For example, when my mother passed, many people sent cards to my Dad. Yet, only one person (a cousin) sent one to me. Even though I wasn't close to my mother, I was touched that my cousin thought of me---and I let her know. After my mother's passing, I took the time to send thank you cards to all who sent a sympathy card to my Dad.

When in doubt I send it to the deceased person residence and address it to LAST NAME family, such as Smith Family or Jones Family.

I received few cards when my father died because my mother was still alive. When she died I got lots of cards. I guess some people just send it to the closest survivor and that's fine. At least they sent a card.

I did receive sympathy cards when my dog died. That really meant a lot to me since he was family and not a pet.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,189 times
Before my sister, my mom and my step dad all died I honestly just didn't think about sympathy cards. Now however, I send them because when I was hurting so bad they meant the world to me. I can only hope the card I send touches someone just a little. Since I live 500 miles away from my home town I can't always attend. I attend only for the people that meant the most to me. It just is what it is but I still send a card.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:04 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Before my sister, my mom and my step dad all died I honestly just didn't think about sympathy cards. Now however, I send them because when I was hurting so bad they meant the world to me. I can only hope the card I send touches someone just a little. Since I live 500 miles away from my home town I can't always attend. I attend only for the people that meant the most to me. It just is what it is but I still send a card.

Good point. Maybe it is something people only really think about when they have had a great loss.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I've had different vets over the years, and one here in AZ. Whenever I've lost a pet, I've received a card, and it's been so touching. One vet who had cared for one of our puppies for all 14 years, even sent a white rose. I totally lost it when that arrived...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning