Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
It took me 10 years to start to be able to move on with my life. Just do what you need to do. Don't let anyone make you feel like you are taking things too slow or too fast. Occupying that empty space with something new can really help. A new hobby, new friends, volunteer at a shelter or get a dog or a cat to keep you company. Dogs are high maintenance and can be a great comfort as well as giving you some encouragement to get out of the house and out of your thoughts.
I've moved on with my life, but I don't think my emotions have moved on. I'm active in my community, ran for and was elected to my HOA Board of Directors, and there's a lot of work involved with that. I started sewing and canning again just recently and I've made friends/acquaintances. But, when I'm home alone in the evening, I can cry so easily just thinking about him. Talking to my daughter on the phone, I choke up mentioning him, and I've awoken in the morning and my pillow is wet from crying, which I was doing in my dream, and I guess in real life, too. My feelings are still raw and right on the surface, and it will be 5 years at the end of October. His anniversary through New Year's are so hard for me, when they used to be the happiest, most exciting six weeks for me. Never again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
About 6 months after I lost my husband I moved to another state to live in a house that belonged to his parents. The change of scenery did help a little but I think it as just because his parents were there and I was with the almost every day. When my father in law passed away and my MIL went to live with her so in CA things really came apart for me for a really long time. I do think that changing your environment can really help but you should not make any big decisions right away. The reason chose to move was because needed to get away from my crazy family and because I had promised my husband that I would go and be with his family if anything happened to him.

It took me 10 years to start to be able to move on with my life. Just do what you need to do. Don't let anyone make you feel like you are taking things too slow or too fast. Occupying that empty space with something new can really help. A new hobby, new friends, volunteer at a shelter or get a dog or a cat to keep you company. Dogs are high maintenance and can be a great comfort as well as giving you some encouragement to get out of the house and out of your thoughts.
I will be moving next year, so things will change. I really don't think things will be better, but they will be different. I was going to move to mom's house and become her caregiver, but she died. Another change of plans. I would just like to settle somewhere, with something that I can count on.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I will be moving next year, so things will change. I really don't think things will be better, but they will be different. I was going to move to mom's house and become her caregiver, but she died. Another change of plans. I would just like to settle somewhere, with something that I can count on.
That is the problem, Gerania, nothing is guaranteed in life. We THINK they are but they actually aren't.

I wish you the best of luck with your move and hope you find peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning