Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 10:45 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I love what the Bible has to say about anxiety. Here's a good verse. As our Creator God knows how we are made and what is good, therefore also what is bad for us and our bodies and our brains.

Philippians 4:6,7 says "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus."

Beautiful! God doesn't want us to be weighed down with overeating, overdrinking and anxieties of life. We need ta throw our anxieties to Him and leave them there - don't try and take them back upon yourself after giving them to him. They'll be too heavy, weigh us down, and cause anxiety and then physical health problems with us if we don't trust in Him to really help us.
Thanks for the reminder to let go, and let God.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 AM

48,159 posts, read 22,022,438 times
There is a storm heading our way.....my little new doggie is feeling it and is nervous...following me around the house....and prefering to stay under tables and desk etc. The wind has kicked up.....I think we will have it soon. The weather man said it would be a fast moving storm....arriving sometime after 12 noon and moving out by 5.....we will see.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:03 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,328,487 times
My critters are reacting the same way elston--very anxious. So am I! Wind does that to lots of animals and people. My father was a teacher and he hated those very windy days as he said the kids were out of control! They were called "Devil Winds" in CA. I am not happy about driving this little light weight car in the wind but if I go slow all should be okay. The rain has basically passed but the winds are going to continue until late tonight they say! I get off work at 9pm. Think I'll stick to the main road and not come home my usual back roads. Everyone stay safe!

Old 02-24-2016, 01:17 PM

Oops..spoke to soon..just had a downpour with lots of lightening and thunder and we are now under a tornado watch.

Gentlearts, it is a wonderful reminder--let go and let God. Not always easy but a must to work on.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:01 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
Thanks for the reminder to let go, and let God.

No problem, gentlearts. Not always easy but we need to do this.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:17 AM

218 posts, read 207,807 times
Hum, I'm first this morning ! Or my browser is lost.

Storm passed North Central NJ without much, not even much lightening. But little Jasper (PomChi dog) was very nervous.. made me feel the same. I stayed up later to watch NOAA and the Weather Channel until about an hour before the "watch" ended.. 11PM. No damage I can see around property and neighborhood. Just a lid or two blown off outside plastic trash cans.

Hope the silence is because all are safe with no damage.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 AM

Good Morning Jerry.....glad you didnt get much of the storm.

We had a lot of rain down here but now it is cool and clear....sunny even.

I took two of my three dogs out this morning (they all have access to the back yard as needed.)

Our new one is so much fun.....sprightly, curious and becoming very attatched to me. I just looked around because he is always just a few feet away...and indeed he is sleeping here under a desk. There is a wonderful balance of independance and spunk....and loving don't ever leave me quality to my Baxter.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 AM

218 posts, read 207,807 times
On a lighter side, I just hooked up a Bluetooth dingle to my HDTV (is there anything but HD now?). I am using it with a Bluetooth headphone and the audio is wonderful. Now that I live along it doesn't matter if the TV is blaring, but Jasper may enjoy the low, even off, volume. And the audio is not only loud enough, it is clearer.

One small step in the "life alone now" progress. Celebrate even small accomplishments.

I also had a nice conversation with a widow who lives about 1/4 south of me. I had a passing acquaintance with her husband, and knew her by name and more recently that she was looking for a cat. I offered a connection to the shelter I volunteer at. She had already adopted a cat, but it was another connect. She was on her way to an orientation to the hospital for new volunteers when I was walking Jasper past. I congratulated her and told her to be sure to telephone if she needs help - I had given her a personal card a few weeks earlier when I met her at another neighbor's home.

I find some comfort in reaching out with an offer to provide help, e.g., a need for a ride to the hospital for a procedure that does not allow one to drive home on their own. Recently happened to me, the first time since I lost my wife. It took only a little "fishing" to fine a next door neighbor who covered my need. But is was an awakening to me on one of the problems with living alone.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:56 AM

I just read this meditation by Titch Nhat Hanh and I thought to share it here.

"This body is not me.
I am not limited by this body.
I am life without boundaries.
I have never been born,
and I have never died.

Look at the ocean and the sky filled with stars,
manifestations from my wondrous true mind.

Since before time, I have been free.
Birth and death are only doors through which we pass,
sacred thresholds on our journey.
Birth and death are a game of hide- and seek.

So laugh with me,
hold my hand,
let us say good-bye,
say good-bye, to meet again soon.

We meet today.
We will meet again tomorrow.
We will meet at the source every moment.
We meet each other in all forms of life.

~Thich Nhat Hanh

Old 02-25-2016, 03:10 PM

I love that elston.....love it!
Jerry you are coming along so well--I know you don't see it but we do here! Pat yourself on your back my friend!
Sorry I'm late stopping in here but had work today. It's still very windy here but I was blessed I didn't lose electricity although we did lose it last night at the store--what a mess that was! But we got it under control after a lot of calls to the corporate office and having to stay later then usual. I got home at 10pm and went right to bed! The drive home was pretty scary with branches, boxes etc flying everywhere but I got home fine. We have a new kitty from the Humane Society to adopt out at our store--poor thing only has 3 legs and was adopted by a couple for 1 1/2 years until their mother had to move in and was allergic to the cat so they brought him back. He is an emotional wreck--won't eat and is terrified. I'm going to be saying some prayers this fella finds a wonderful caring home very soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.