Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Tomorrow is the first Sunday of the month and that means....... "pot luck dinner" after the rise of Friends Meeting.

I enjoy cooking and feeding people....so I look forward to it. I am going to make a New England Boiled Dinner.....since that is sort of traditional for March. I am not using a corned beef.....(corned beef is associated with March and St Patricks Day but, it is a bit pricey this year); instead I am using a smoked pork shoulder...which is common in New England. I will be cooking up carrots and red potatoes, onions, rutabagger turninp and wedges of cabbage. I will slice up the meat in the morning and put it and the boiled vegetables in the slow cooker to keep warm.
That's a good idea, Elston. I just got a couple of corned beefs at Sams on sale, so I think I'll make one tomorrow.
Hope your weekend is brighter, Cyn.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:43 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,326,647 times
Enjoy elston!

Old 03-04-2017, 05:13 PM

7,050 posts, read 6,305,249 times
I love a boiled dinner. Sounds great.
Sorry to hear about your sister, cyn. Prayers.

My car is finally running! Yeah. And it turned out all it needed was a new battery with more power. Live & learn.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:08 AM

That's good news meo...made me smile!
Thank you gentlearts for caring!
I think to many things happened this week for me to jump right back up but I am working on it.
Today is work....my first Sunday in quite a while and even though I don't like working the later hours I'll take anything at this point. At least I will be working with my favorite girl!
Have a blessed day!

Old 03-05-2017, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Today is a rainy Sunday and I will need to talk with my mom about listing the house she and my dad owned together while he was still living. This will be a difficult conversation. She's moved to a senior apartment complex and is MUCH safer and more taken care of there, but she says she misses her house. What she misses is her old life, which is gone for good, since she is not self sufficient or independent - my dad did everything.

I am afraid she is going to take up with someone in order to try to move back to that house and recreate her life (she has some mental illness and some dementia so her reasoning powers are not good). In fact, she's already got a "beau" and my dad has only been dead 4 months. It's pretty distressing. Not sure what will happen.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:05 PM

48,156 posts, read 22,020,175 times
Oh this is going to be so hard KathrynAragon........is the new beau a nursing home "casanova". My mother fell for someone lke that and imagined they would move out and buy a house....then she found out that he had been romancing quite a few of the ladies on their floor. It would have been impossible anyway.....she needed lots of assistance and had an amputated leg and was probably going to loose the other.....Diabetes.

I was so relieved when it came to an end.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Oh this is going to be so hard KathrynAragon........is the new beau a nursing home "casanova". My mother fell for someone lke that and imagined they would move out and buy a house....then she found out that he had been romancing quite a few of the ladies on their floor. It would have been impossible anyway.....she needed lots of assistance and had an amputated leg and was probably going to loose the other.....Diabetes.

I was so relieved when it came to an end.
BINGO.

I talked with the staff today. Apparently this guy is 1) a dementia patient, 2) lives in the "assisted living side" of things (my mom is in independent living), 3) can't drive and is basically just a friendly, harmless, happy shell of a guy, 4) has a daughter who just met with them because she was concerned that one or more of the ladies might take advantage of HIM, and 4) has a bevy of about six other women who make over him and would tell anyone in an instant that he is their "boyfriend."

Huge relief. My mom is so crazy.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:13 PM

48,156 posts, read 22,020,175 times
It sounds very much like what my Mom was getting involved in. She thought it was a last chance at "love". He was a senile predator.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
It sounds very much like what my Mom was getting involved in. She thought it was a last chance at "love". He was a senile predator.
I believe you. And whether my mom appreciates it or not, I'm keeping tabs on this.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:46 AM

That's so scary to hear these kind of stories. It's good you are keeping tabs on this Kathryn.
I got a pleasant surprise at work yesterday---a woman I meant a year ago and has kept in touch with me knew how difficult my days have been lately and she sent a beautiful bouquet of flowers to my work for me. How nice! She is a God send! It made me smile all day! It certainly did brighten my day!
My sister is in a lot of pain but hopefully on the road to recovery--very slowly of course. She will be sent to a rehab in a few days. I am just grateful for my BIL---he has been her rock! I always tell him how much my other sister and I appreciate him and all he does for our sister.
I hope everyone has a lovely day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.